Right now Im just trying to narrow down my choices and trying to get an idea of how much I need to save up for one. Im hoping to spend under $500. I was looking at the Ibanez Exotic Woods. They are reasonably priced and seem to have good reviews. Anyone have opinions on these guitars or any other suggestions?
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
The two I was looking at was the Ibanez EW20ZWE and the Epiphone EJ-200CE
Chris

My Gear-
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
I don't really know about the Exotic Woods line but I have never seen an Ibanez under $600 with a solid top. (And come to think of it; I don't think I've seen one OVER $600 with a solid top, either)
Ibanez is quite loud sounding acoustic guitar. It's perfect if your vocal is loud or you like sonorous tune.
Haven't tried Epiphone, can't tell anything about it.
Quote by Lord Kamina
I don't really know about the Exotic Woods line but I have never seen an Ibanez under $600 with a solid top. (And come to think of it; I don't think I've seen one OVER $600 with a solid top, either)

Whats the downside to not having a solid top?
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by G-Dog_666
I have a lefty version of this guitar: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ag_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=41&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=3&series_id=8. It plays and sounds alright to me. I'm not an acoustic guitar conisseur but it seems to live up to the reviews I've read.
Me too, and I like it. (Mine's a lefty also).

Quote by Lord Kamina
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-aw3000cewc-artwood-acoustic-electric-guitar And now you have. This one is all solid.

Maybe you should have sent your lackies out to look for one for thee oh lord

Anyway, Ibanez onboard electronics are top notch. Even their lower end guitars which aren't terribly good acoustically become good to great plugged in.

Ibanez "Exotic Wood" series are in some sense, a bit gimicky. The preamps are excellent, as is the chorus. I like the sound of my ash version.

At least stay away from Dean acoustics, legend has it they're terrible.

As always: your results, and sonic tastes may vary. You won't get a recommendation for Ibanez at this site. Be prepared to listen to lots of guitars until it "speaks to you". IMO. guitars don't "speak", but what the heck do I know.
I dont know to much about acoustics. Reason I was looking at Ibanez was because I have a S570 and I really really love this guitar so I figured I would take a look at their acoustic lines. And I really loved the look of their Exotic line. And a friend of mine she owns a Ibanez AEG line acoustic that she loves and I like to. I was also looking at the Ibanez because they are priced more in my price range.
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by Lord Kamina

Oh and the AEL Series of Acoustics have solid tops
Chris

My Gear-
OK, there are several models in the AEG line, so you'd have to post the exact model number so we could get a fix on the model you're referring to.

The "EW" series have larger bodies than AEG, more on the order of the AEL series. These are for all intents and purposes jumbos.
I have an ibanez AEL40 right beside me. I'm actually trying to sell it...and if i were you i wouldn't buy something similar. it's really nice to look at but sounds way too bright. you don't get any bass out of it, even though it's a jumbo body.

Mind you this one has laminated back and sides, the one cranky posted would likely sound a lot nicer.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by Ultrakd
Oh and the AEL Series of Acoustics have solid tops

i'm 90% sure mine is a laminated top. And if it's not, it's the shittiest sounding solid top i've ever played.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, there are several models in the AEG line, so you'd have to post the exact model number so we could get a fix on the model you're referring to.

The "EW" series have larger bodies than AEG, more on the order of the AEL series. These are for all intents and purposes jumbos.

She doesnt remember but I think it is like a 25 or something.

Quote by mike_oxbig
i'm 90% sure mine is a laminated top. And if it's not, it's the shittiest sounding solid top i've ever played.

The AEL30 is a solid top atleast.
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by Captaincranky

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-aw3000cewc-artwood-acoustic-electric-guitar And now you have. This one is all solid.

Maybe you should have sent your lackies out to look for one for thee oh lord

Oh, I supposed there had to be some... As I said, I'd just not seen any; personally, I mean.

I looked through a lot of guitars back when I bought my electric-acoustic (and most of them were Ibanez because it's what they sell most in my country)

Come to think of it, though... it might have been because I was looking for nylon-stringed guitars so I looked at the AELs sparingly. (In fact, at the moment I still cannot find a nylon-stringed acoustic-electric with a solid top on their site)

And when I actually walked in the shop more or less like "Hey, I'd like to buy this guitar"... I also tried a model of Ibanez that they had (which was a bit pricier even; with Ibanez electronics) and IMO it didn't sound as good as the one I bought in the end.
Quote by Ultrakd
I dont know to much about acoustics. Reason I was looking at Ibanez was because I have a S570 and I really really love this guitar so I figured I would take a look at their acoustic lines.
OK, there is a disconnect between Ibanez electric and Ibanez acoustic guitar lines. The electrics have a much better reputation.

I don't know that we can tell you what you should buy. I could start to give you some rules of thumb. Laminated tops tend to be on the dull side. Ibanez electronics tend to be very good, and bail out their lower lines of acoustic guitars......(wait for it)....but only if you PLUG THEM IN...!

The Ash EW20 is bright, the bass is good, and in general, tighter than a "dreadnaught body". I don't think the frets are as easy to play as some other guitars.

After this, a lot of things depend on taste. I just bought one of these, (yeah it's a solid top).....http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/acoustic_guitars/fender/sonoran_sce/index.html

The Fender "Sonoran" ships with 80/20 brass strings. It's very bright, easy to play, has an almost electric style "C" neck, and a Strat headstock.....pretty groovy. Not to mention, it's also in your price range. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-california-series-sonoran-sce-california-custom-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar/514656000001000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0 It's available in several Stratocaster inspired colors.

I of course, got dicked out of another 50 bucks, 'cause I'm a lefty.

Then there's the "Seagull S-6" which can't help be a bit mellower due to it's, (solid), cedar top. Available with or without pickups.

Another member will tell you to listen to "Recording King" guitars, which are said to have a Martin inspired sound, which is bassier.

I could go on. Still, the net result is You're going to have to do some leg work. We can only point to the beginning of your journey. (This is all going to be in my book, "the zen of guitar purchase"). Remember, every guitar purchase begins with the first strum....!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by Lord Kamina

Come to think of it, though... it might have been because I was looking for nylon-stringed guitars so I looked at the AELs sparingly. (In fact, at the moment I still cannot find a nylon-stringed acoustic-electric with a solid top on their site)

And when I actually walked in the shop more or less like "Hey, I'd like to buy this guitar"... I also tried a model of Ibanez that they had (which was a bit pricier even; with Ibanez electronics) and IMO it didn't sound as good as the one I bought in the end.
This I wouldn't debate. The "corner music store" is very apt to have much less depth in their stock fill, than as would large internet supplier. As to the gut string issue, why don't you come down to the "steel string well", and drink the water with the rest of us locos....? (Old proverb, I hope you're familiar with it).

As to buying the one that sounded best to you, a sound, sensible approach. (Even I know that ).

Ibanez and Crafter have different model lines in different areas. To be sure. there is overlap, but some things long discontinued in the US, soldier on in Europe.

Crafter is heavily entrenched in the European market, but none of our largest internet outlets really carry them. They're MIK, but, judging by reviews, and the one I have, are very nicely made and priced.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 1, 2012,