I notice new Taylor 710 ce's retail for around 2500$. There is a guy selling a used taylor 710ce from 2004 with case for 1100$. Is that a good price? obviously I need to check it out to make sure there aren't a bunch of dings or that it hasn't damaged or anything. Just wanted to know if that was a good price and what you're opinions were of the 710ce, i've played a couple of other taylors but haven't played a 710ce. Just want opions on the guitar and the price before I make the trek up to Spokane to try it out.

Thanks
great guitar, great price. amazingly great price. suspiciously great price.

if you go look at it, really inspect the top of the body. make sure there are no warps, buckles or bellying, especially around and below the bridge. that's much more important than scratches and dings, and sometimes harder to spot. Anything else should be pretty easy to see.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
there have been changes in a number of taylor guitars over the years, so this may or may not be the same as the current 710ce's. there was a guy who thought he had found a deal on a koa taylor, only to discover that for a variety of reasons, it was only worth around $1100.

when a new guitar costs $2599, i expect to pay no more for it used than $1800 for it used in good condition since i'm not getting a warranty, a little less if it's got dings. and i expect to pay less for a guitar that has pick marks or is somewhat older unless it seems to be shaping up to be a classic. if the case shows any significant wear, i'd expect a little off the price. since the guitar is a taylor, even if it needs a neck reset that costs far less than it would on a dovetail joint guitar, so not a huge concern.

does the seller know anything about guitars? if you're not sure, ask about the nut width, neck profile, whether it's been humidified when its environment is dry - stuff like that. the point of these questions isn't just to find out - it'll show if he knows guitars. a lot of sellers who don't know much just assume their guitar is in good condition when it isn't.

oh, don't forget to ask if the seller smokes as even if the guitar is kept cased, the guitar will smell of smoke unless kept in a non smoking environment.

btw, i see you're asking for opinions on it. if you haven't played one and already know you like 'em, i'd suggest rushing down to gc or your local taylor dealer to make sure you do like the way this one sounds and feels. i find that buying in someone's residence or outside at a coffee house or meeting place won't give you the best idea of how a guitar sounds. i would buy a $400 guitar in those circumstances, but not a $1100 guitar whose sound i wasn't already familiar with.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by mike_oxbig
great guitar, great price. amazingly great price. suspiciously great price.

if you go look at it, really inspect the top of the body. make sure there are no warps, buckles or bellying, especially around and below the bridge. that's much more important than scratches and dings, and sometimes harder to spot. Anything else should be pretty easy to see.

Yeah I'm a little leary about the price as well. I'll probably just end up getting a 314ce. Played one earlier today and it fits in my price range. And it's definitely way better then my old fender acoustic I've been playing since 2001.
Quote by patticake
there have been changes in a number of taylor guitars over the years, so this may or may not be the same as the current 710ce's. there was a guy who thought he had found a deal on a koa taylor, only to discover that for a variety of reasons, it was only worth around $1100.

when a new guitar costs $2599, i expect to pay no more for it used than $1800 for it used in good condition since i'm not getting a warranty, a little less if it's got dings. and i expect to pay less for a guitar that has pick marks or is somewhat older unless it seems to be shaping up to be a classic. if the case shows any significant wear, i'd expect a little off the price. since the guitar is a taylor, even if it needs a neck reset that costs far less than it would on a dovetail joint guitar, so not a huge concern.

does the seller know anything about guitars? if you're not sure, ask about the nut width, neck profile, whether it's been humidified when its environment is dry - stuff like that. the point of these questions isn't just to find out - it'll show if he knows guitars. a lot of sellers who don't know much just assume their guitar is in good condition when it isn't.

oh, don't forget to ask if the seller smokes as even if the guitar is kept cased, the guitar will smell of smoke unless kept in a non smoking environment.

btw, i see you're asking for opinions on it. if you haven't played one and already know you like 'em, i'd suggest rushing down to gc or your local taylor dealer to make sure you do like the way this one sounds and feels. i find that buying in someone's residence or outside at a coffee house or meeting place won't give you the best idea of how a guitar sounds. i would buy a $400 guitar in those circumstances, but not a $1100 guitar whose sound i wasn't already familiar with.

those are good things to ask for, not sure if i'm gonna get much of a resonse from the seller. What are your opininos on the 314ces? I played one and thought they were pretty damn amazing. Better yet, not having to fork over $2799 for one is even better.
i actually prefer the 114 to the 314, and so did my husband on a blind test. i know the 314 is all solid, but my ears prefer the 100 series
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
yeah, the rat bastard sold it and didn't respond back to me. I found a reasonable used 414ce, like the richer tone. I'm going to my gutiar store today to pick up my electric that was being setup, I'll see if they have any 114 and give those a whirl before I make a decision. Thanks for the help!
chances are you'll like the 414 better, but i like the 114 out of the 114, 214 and 314. let us know what you think
Quote by Skeet UK