I just picked up a epiphone dot, and the upper strap button is on the back of the guitar and it makes the guitar tilt forward quite a bit. I was wondering if I could move to the horn like it is on most solid guitars. I didn't know if there was enough wood there to support it tho, and if it would cause damage over time. So, has anyone tried this? Or know of any other ideas I could try?
Quote by treysonpwaters
I just picked up a epiphone dot, and the upper strap button is on the back of the guitar and it makes the guitar tilt forward quite a bit. I was wondering if I could move to the horn like it is on most solid guitars. I didn't know if there was enough wood there to support it tho, and if it would cause damage over time. So, has anyone tried this? Or know of any other ideas I could try?

To my knowledge that should not be happening, have you tried adjusting the strap length, or are you really oddly shaped?
Quote by Makko Mace
To my knowledge that should not be happening, have you tried adjusting the strap length, or are you really oddly shaped?

lol na, im a normal human shape....didn't change with strap length adjusments, google it, happens with alot of guitars with the button on the back. Just all the forums I've found none of them had anyone who actually did move it and report back
i wouldn't move the button. as you mentioned, there may not be enough wood there. neck dive is fairly common on many epiphone models, probably because they have massive headstocks.

you could try running a wider strap (which will grip your shoulder better) or attaching a weight to the other end of your strap to try and counter-act the dive
Actually, I seem to recall seeing an ebay ad for an older Gibson ES335 (or perhaps one of the related variants) where there was a filled-in hole in the upper horn, where someone had previously put in a strap button, and then it had been taken out to restore the guitar to it's original arrangement. Of course the filled-in hole doesn't say anything about whether the re-located strap button was strong enough....
You could try taking it in to a lutheir for a free quote if you have one locally.
I put a strap button on the upper horn of my Hamer Echotone (similar to your dot). So far no problems. But the wood is pretty thin there... less than 1/4", so I'd want to be pretty gentle with it.
I have two with a strap button the back. Neither rocks forward. It could be just the way you hold it. If it were my guitar, I would leave it and figure out how to hold and play it so it doesn't bother me.

Keep in mind, the strap button was put where it is for a good reason.

I play Ovation too, so holding problems are no big deal to me.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77