am I doing something wrong? when I play the high strings alot, this kills my index finger. maybe im pushing down to hard? im using 11-49. and standard tuning btw.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 1, 2012,
Any kind of pain other than mild soreness on the fingertips probably means you're doing something wrong
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
hmm. maybe its because ive been trying to do alot of pull offs and sliding notes lately, the tension is really tight so its kinda hard to do sliding notes. maybe going to a smaller gauge would help?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Possibly, but it might be better to have a close look at your technique
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
Possibly, but it might be better to have a close look at your technique

yeah im a beginner so I'm sure that is the problem. I think I am pressing down too hard on the strings when I play.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you think you are pressing down to hard you probably are, especially If it's
Your knuckle that hurts.

You should Only put enough pressure on the strings to have a clean note, applying
Just enough pressure will Let you play longer and faster..
I wouldn't use 11-49 for standard tuning, generally for E Standard I go with 9-42, and then for each half step I move up a size, so Eb would be 10-46 and D standard would be 11-49.
its my finger tip, not knuckle. it might be im been practicing more than usual also.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Pretty much nothing to worry about then, its still always good to observe your technique and make corrections whenever possible. Stop your issues early before they become habits
Quote by The Vickshow
I wouldn't use 11-49 for standard tuning, generally for E Standard I go with 9-42, and then for each half step I move up a size, so Eb would be 10-46 and D standard would be 11-49.

That's pretty complicated. On a full scale I'd use 10s for E standard and Eb. 11s for D standard and C# and so on...

If you used so many string gauges, you'd have to change strings nearly every day..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

i use .010's in standard...
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by The Vickshow

Quite a lot of people do use .11s for standard. It's not a problem if you can deal with the increased tension, which would be pretty tricky for a beginner
My Soundcloud
^Which could make him press the strings too hard.. Just a thought.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
^Which could make him press the strings too hard.. Just a thought.

im thinking thats what it is. i was learning the song one by metallica and while playing the intro solo there is pulloffs followed by slide notes. and it kills my fingers.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
im thinking thats what it is. i was learning the song one by metallica and while playing the intro solo there is pulloffs followed by slide notes. and it kills my fingers.

Try 10s and see how they fit you. Bends will be a lot easier with lighter strings. Going from 9s to 10s isn't as big of a difference as from 10s to 11s (at least that's how I felt).
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Feb 1, 2012,
Nothing wrong with use 11's in standard.

If you have an achey sensation in your hand then you need to warm up via stretches and exercises etc etc.

If its a sore sensation on your fingertips, then quite frankly, no pain no gain.
its all sore lol, oh well i know its part of guitar playing and it ****ing sucks lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A