A long time ago (maybe 1-2 years ago), i remember reading here on UG a thread about a free audio player software which supposedly is the best.
People were saying it was better than WMP, iTunes, etc.
IIRC, it was kinda "the audio player software for audiophiles".

I'd like to try that software, but the thing is, i can't remember its name... I had made a note with the name, but i formatted my computer a while ago, and that file must've been among a few things i forgot to backup.
Also, UG's searchbar and Google searches didn't help at all.

Does anyone have any idea which audio player it may be?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Winamp?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I'm guessing winamp, because it plays most lossless files, I still hate the program though.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Bushinarin
VLC media player maybe?

Nope, it was really audio-focused... Like, designed to give you the maximum potential of your audio files.

Quote by barden1069
Winamp?

Quote by Carswell98
I'm guessing winamp, because it plays most lossless files, I still hate the program though.

Nope, it wasn't Winamp either.

It wasn't one of the major software names.
This software had quite an "underground", connoisseur, feeling to it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 1, 2012,
Right well what is it that you need from your media player that WMP/iTunes don't offer? Do you need specific file-support or something... or do you just want to tell people that you have a player 'for audiophiles'.
Because I'll just say, the software on which you play your compressed MP3 files won't affect the sound quality in any way.

The main area where WMP and iTunes fall down is their usability and UI, in which case I was actually surprised to find Zune a nice alternative.
Last edited by vitchb at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by vitchb
Because I'll just say, the software on which you play your compressed MP3 files won't affect the sound quality in any way.

This is the most important thing. It won't even affect it that much for lossless files.

Audio source is the most important thing in sound quality, TS. Not the media player.

Quote by conor-figgy
I detest Winamp, just saying...

It has the best visualizer though. Milkdrop 2 >>> Everything else
I'm a foobar2000 user. Generally quite popular among the more audiophile-type people, though I wouldn't call myself one of them.
CD's are inherently not a good delivery method for high-quality audio though. Even if you rip at 320kbps or lossless, it's still a 16-bit file. Download music at 24-bit FLAC if you want lossless audio.
I'd have a stab and say Foobar2000 and Songbird/Vox.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Why the hate for winamp? Add classicpro and I find it's awesome.

Aslo, as someone else said, milkdrop 2 is miles ahead of any other visualizer out there.

OT: If it's not that or vlc, the only thing I can think of is foobar or MediaMonkey.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Last edited by Krieger91 at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by whoomit
Longshot here, but MediaMonkey?

No, that's not it...

Quote by MattyPS
J. River Media Jukebox ?

This isn't the one either.

Quote by RPGoof
Foobar? I know they have a lot of cool plugins too

Nope.

Quote by vitchb
Right well what is it that you need from your media player that WMP/iTunes don't offer? Do you need specific file-support or something... or do you just want to tell people that you have a player 'for audiophiles'.

The main area where WMP and iTunes fall down is their usability and UI, in which case I was actually surprised to find Zune a nice alternative.

I just wanted to try it for myself, and see if there's really a noticeable difference in quality.

Quote by dmbb1239
songbird?

Still no.

Quote by mental_zer0
Audio source is the most important thing in sound quality, TS. Not the media player.

Obviously.
But, IIRC, the software was designed in a more advanced way than most other audio players out there, and it was supposed to give you the best quality possible from your audio files (depending on their individual quality, of course).

Quote by RPGoof
Unless you're using Exact Audio Copy, which is plays CD in their native quality. ****ing awesome program.

No.

Now i'm really determined to find it, it's getting annoying having seen the project webpage and not being able to find it anywhere.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Youtube
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Quote by palm mute
How about one of these?

Nope.

Besides, i already checked every piece of software on this list before coming to the Pit for help.
Coming here with a serious question is a clear sign of my desperation

I've been searching for hours now, with zero results... It must be a really underground piece of software.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Nope.

Besides, i already checked every piece of software on this list before coming to the Pit for help.
Coming here with a serious question is a clear sign of my desperation

I've been searching for hours now, with zero results... It must be a really underground piece of software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee?

Do you know if this was purely an audio player, or did it support video as well?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxee?

Do you know if this was purely an audio player, or did it support video as well?

It wasn't Boxee.
It was purely an audio player, no video support.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It doesn't matter in the end. It's not like they have any tangible effect on sound quality.

Yes, technically that's true. But this is one of the things that you see once, and that idea stays on your mind... And then it's frustrating because you want to try it, but you can't

I think one of the features of that software was "pre-loading" the files, so that it would play them seamlessly. Something about you getting an 100% unadulterated playback.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's not like they have any tangible effect on sound quality.

Unless you're one of those goobers who uses the EQ.