ive began to start writing alot of songs and would really like to start recording
ive seen a zoom r8 and thought that was good but hten saw the zoom r16 and i cant choose, i would like the recorders to be under 399 so i can also purchase a licence for cubase for my home laptop (may not be the best choice but its what ive been taught to use and its the one i know of)
so the zoom R8 or the zoom R16 or is there anyother good ones i could get considering i will also be trying to record a drum kit if possible ?
The Zooms are excellent pieces of kit. I believe the R8 actually includes a drum machine, so if you don't have anyone to play drums for you it can cover that as well. For some reason they didn't include it in the R16, but it is on the R24 if you could stretch that far.

If you're prepared to go used for your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), I would fully recommend the Tascam 2488 - I don't know if you could get the latest model for that much, but you'd definitely be able to find one of the older versions which are just as good, just with slightly different features. The advantage here is that you wouldn't have to hook it up to your laptop for the final mix, it's a standalone multitracker which takes you right from initial recording to finished product. It doesn't include a drum machine though, so if you wanted that you'd need to look elsewhere.

Fostex, Yamaha & Boss are the other main manufacturers of multitrackers. In my opinion, Fostex are good, Yamaha are OK but don't have the best user interface and Boss are overpriced (their 12 track is in the same price range as most 16 tracks).

Any of those would be good purchases for a standalone DAW and you wouldn't need to rely on your laptop for anything.

The Zoom you mentioned also acts as an interface and comes bundled with a version of Cubase so you wouldn't need to purchase that separately (not sure if it's the full version though). With this one, you would need to use your laptop for creating the final mix.

If you wanted the cheapest way to start though, it could be worth considering just getting an interface to record direct to your laptop. Software like Reaper can be downloaded free and offers similar features to the multitrackers I mentioned above. You'd need a fairly high spec laptop to run the DAW software though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yeah i had noticed that the zoom came with the cubase software but apparently its cubase le 4 and as i found out throught my school, 4 is really bad. i was going to get a licence so i could get the same version as my school casue they said they might be bale to make me a copy as long as i have the licence
i liked the look of the R16 casue that means i could take the adapter with me and use the schools drums and mics to record, but as yu said the R8 has a drum machien thing on it
do you know if the drum pads are any good?
Last edited by metalgod47 at Feb 1, 2012,
To hear an example of the drums, listen to the songs on my profile.

They were done on a Zoom RT-323 drum machine, and when I was looking into the Zoom R series recorders a while ago I compared the specs of my drum machine to the specs of the drums in the R24 and they were almost identical - the R24 actually had a few additional pre-programmed rhythms, so I think they've just included that whole drum machine in their multitrackers!
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i mean do they sound real or realistic
just i know that some drum machines make the drums sound horrible or they just dont have the right feel to them, i was only wondering becasue if they are real sounding then ill get the R8
Most of the kits it includes are sampled rather than synthesised, so they're as real as a drum machine can be.

Like I said though - listen to the drums in the songs on my profile & make up your own mind.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud