So I see some pedals on HC for sale that are based on the preamps of various famous amps like the bluesbreaker, the rectifier, etc etc. Is it possible to get a super clean amp like a fender twin and just use the pedals for distortion? I'm trying to get a lighter rig so im looking for any amps that are light but still powerful.
the big problem is that (a) those pedals aren't valve-based (usually) and (b) the preamp isn't the only thing affecting the tone (you have power amp, speaker cabinet, open- or closed-back cab, etc. etc.).

that's not to say they might not sound good (the catalinbread ones have a pretty good rep, though i haven't tried them), but i mean if you could get teh sound of a soldano for the price of a wampler slostortion everyone would be running round with a twin and a slostortion, and they're not, so...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Might as well just go for a decent DSP if thats your plan,

Fender tube combos arent really light weight.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
that's a good point, isn't a twin like heavy as all get out?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah.

I hate moving the Fenders round at work. Ridiculously heavy things.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah

i mean is it just me or do 2x12 combos not really make a whole heap of sense?

1x12 combo, great.

head + 1x12, or 2x12 (or 2x10), or 4x12- great.

2x12 combo?

what's teh point?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i might have egg on my face now

as i've just sorta thought of the reason for the extra speaker... enough wattage handling for the higher wattage of more powerful amps

still with modern speakers it's not as necessary

how much headroom do you need? i can certainly think of 40-50 watt tube combos which (presumably) have a reasonable amount.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No not really. I would actually recommend you buy a decent DSP, like a 2nd hand Eleven Rack and a powered PA monitor. Thats the only real "portable" rig you could get.

Just to point, the good dirt pedals can cost more than a decent amp.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

i mean is it just me or do 2x12 combos not really make a whole heap of sense?

1x12 combo, great.

head + 1x12, or 2x12 (or 2x10), or 4x12- great.

2x12 combo?

what's teh point?

The point?

Back pain

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Only problem with dsps is theyre a bitch to configure. Im blind so I can't see all the controls and screens.
Quote by brandon2314
Only problem with dsps is theyre a bitch to configure. Im blind so I can't see all the controls and screens.

Pardon?

Oh well in that case, I dont see why pedals would be better for you buddy.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ok thanks

normally 1x12 combos are ~20-25kg if that's ok?

i'm guessing something like a fender blues deluxe, kustom coupé 36 or traynor ycv40 (depending on budget) might be worth a look. both the kustom and traynor have decent od channels, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Knobs are better than screens, at least you can hear what you're changing. And there are like three on each pedal.