ok so for music class, I have to re-create Procol Harum - A whiter shade of pale as a 50's rock n roll song, not a re-mix, a re-creation. I was thinking about using the tune (the intro of the song) and making a guitar solo out of it, how would I go about doing this, of course I need it to sound 50's rock n roll as well, so some common rock n roll guitar licks might be useful to get my hands on!

any pointer would be very much appreciated

many thanks.

a whiter shade of pale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA

oh and also how could I make a rock n roll riff/melody out of it, to go over some 12-bar.

or if you can just point in the direction of a common bluesy, 50's rock n roll single not harmony/riff/melody that would work over an 12-bar, that would also be great.
Last edited by Count Duckula at Feb 1, 2012,
Start by playing the vocal line literally - note for note - on your guitar.

Then start looking for guitar-specific embellishments that feel right with the end goal in mind.

Maybe there's more to it than that, but that's the approach I'd take.
Check out some Chuck Berry and Bill Hailey & The Comets songs for guitar licks to steal. I'm not a big 50s rock 'n' roll enthusiast so I can't think of any other acts off the top of my head. Maybe some Jerry Lee Lewis songs too. However, he played piano so it might not be too helpful.
Quote by HotspurJr
Start by playing the vocal line literally - note for note - on your guitar.

Then start looking for guitar-specific embellishments that feel right with the end goal in mind.

Maybe there's more to it than that, but that's the approach I'd take.

I agree. Start with the melody. Pay attention to all the "important" notes that occur on the beat, last longer than the other notes, are accented, etc. You can reduce the melody to just these key notes. Leave them where they are in the measure (on the 1 beat, etc) and add embellishments around those notes. That's a good place to start.
first of all, obviously lots of tremolo and reverb.

secondly, hamonize the melody in diatonic thirds. and I've never heard this song but can you put it in 12/8 feasibly?
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
first of all, obviously lots of tremolo and reverb.

secondly, hamonize the melody in diatonic thirds. and I've never heard this song but can you put it in 12/8 feasibly?

that's right.(Invalid img)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AznNDSiGpm0

Look up and emulate the style of Cliff Gallup, one of the biggest names in 50s rock n roll guitar. He played with Gene Vincent, so youtube Gene Vincent songs too.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 2, 2012,