Hey guys, good to be back on UG after a while.

So like the title says, I have been playing for ~5 years, and really love and want to master (to a reasonable degree) the guitar. I guess this got inspired by listenting to more vai and satriani lately. Anyway, the problem. I always want to play it seems, but when I sit down I feel disorganized and end up not having fun. Usually I try focussing on my exercise book, theory book, and sometimes scale book, but It gets somewhat tedious and boring so I end up noodling and accomplish nothing. Basically what I want is to be able to have productive practice that's also fun and not too tedious. If anybody has some tips on how I can build a routine like this that'd be awesome! Thanks.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
If you want to get to virtuosity you can expect a lot of tediousness and boredom. Just plan everything out and dedicate yourself to it. Set aside time for alternate picking, sweep picking, legato, chord theory, scales, string skipping, etc. Whatever needs work. If you really want it you're gonna have to work for it. Whenever you lose focus take a few minutes away from the guitar, do some exercises, watch some clips from a rocky movie.
same thing that happened to me..
I get bored easily foillowing a book or some ssort of an instructional guidebook,
get out of the routine, if you agree with me its as if it almost feels like a "work" not more of a "play" kind of thing.. the fun is taken out and so much "discipline" is needed..

what I do is I still read those books, but then I invite friends who also play an instrument not just guitar to come over for a jam, its refreshing, and whats great is that you can get inspired by some other players plaing a different instrument and try incorporating it to your playing.

and of course the lick and knowledge exchange is also there.
Just set a limit to your practice time, say 1 hour; 15 minutes alt picking, 15 mins legato, 15 mins theory and 15 mins sweep picking or tapping (next day focus on other techniques), then the rest of the time you can jam/noodle. It'll feel much less like work and once it's done it's done. There's nothing worse than bit practicing for 4 hours and still playing no better at the end of it.
First thing I recommend is learn a song you have always wanted to play and work really hard on it. Dont spend the whole day on it, but maybe the first section of your practice.

Check out video lesson sites like justinguitar, guitarlessons265 and jamplay. They often have cool video guitar courses which will you learn and improve a lot.

I'v always found this helps. Just by doing a few video lessons on a good site you can gain a lot.
I'm in similar situation where you are. I've played a lot longer but I feel like I haven't got far and that's just because I've been lazy. I made a promise to myself that I'm gonna change things this year and I've been doing that so far.

What I've done is that I've reserved a time (usually 1 hour) every day for guitar. I do whatever I feel like, write new stuff, learn a song from favorite artist or just fool around. Usually I end up playing a lot longer and the more I play, the more I get motivated!

I just think I need some outside help to get better a bit faster and that's where jkielq's suggestions will help me a lot. JamPlay sounds really interesting site and I think I'm gonna go for a membership and see what it has to offer.
Quote by TrailOfMe
I'm in similar situation where you are. I've played a lot longer but I feel like I haven't got far and that's just because I've been lazy. I made a promise to myself that I'm gonna change things this year and I've been doing that so far.

What I've done is that I've reserved a time (usually 1 hour) every day for guitar. I do whatever I feel like, write new stuff, learn a song from favorite artist or just fool around. Usually I end up playing a lot longer and the more I play, the more I get motivated!

I just think I need some outside help to get better a bit faster and that's where jkielq's suggestions will help me a lot. JamPlay sounds really interesting site and I think I'm gonna go for a membership and see what it has to offer.

JamPlay is great.