300 is about the max I can do.

Before I go into specifics please note I am somewhat a musician. I was in band from elementary all the way into high school, percussion. I know all about notes and time signatures and all that stuff. That said ive always wanted to learn guitar.

I tried about a year ago, actually practiced pretty regularly for a couple of months, but dropped it for some reason.

The guitar I currently have now is a Fender Starcaster, and my god does it suck. I mean it gets the job done as far as me owning a guitar goes, but my god its awful. I'm new to guitars but even I know a bad instrument when I see one.

I'm planning on using Guitar Center for my purchases so please if you could when you recommened me guitars see if you can use a guitar center link.

Anyway, I was looking at the Squire Stratocasters. From googling and youtube they seem to be one of the best beginning guitars to start out on. I like music like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Greenday, Theory of Deadman, Blind Melon, Blink 182, Sum 41, Vertical Horizon, Sugar Ray and etc. Basically anything from the 1990s.
Your best bet is to head into a local store with the recommendations given by us in mind, and tell the assistants the same as you've told us. They'll give you pointers what to try out- buy the one you like best.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by WarriorArtist94
Your best bet is to head into a local store with the recommendations given by us in mind, and tell the assistants the same as you've told us. They'll give you pointers what to try out- buy the one you like best.

Yeah I plan on going to Guitar Center friday and spending a couple of hours there picking one out.
Squier just announce a whole new slew of Vintage Modified Stratocasters. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.fender.com/products/index.php?section=guitars&brand=Squier&series=Vintage+Modified

(It's says $400 for a lot of them but that's MSRP, and nobody, and I mean nobody, sells them for MSRP. They'll easily chart in under $300)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
keep in mind most of your sound will be coming from the amp, the guitar makes like 10-20% of it overall IMO.

So yes, this strat will be a huge upgrade, but will sound no different if you stick it through that amp that came with most of those starcaster kits.
Quote by kangaxxter
Squier just announce a whole new slew of Vintage Modified Stratocasters. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.fender.com/products/index.php?section=guitars&brand=Squier&series=Vintage+Modified

(It's says $400 for a lot of them but that's MSRP, and nobody, and I mean nobody, sells them for MSRP. They'll easily chart in under $300)

Ugh there are so many! Which one would be the best? I mean they have Jags and tele and etc.
Quote by Chad11491
keep in mind most of your sound will be coming from the amp, the guitar makes like 10-20% of it overall IMO.

So yes, this strat will be a huge upgrade, but will sound no different if you stick it through that amp that came with most of those starcaster kits.

Yeah I plan on picking up the Fender Mustang 1, seems like its good for the price.
I got me a KH-202 at guitar center used for 180, there was a tiny chip on the back, its like a $500 dollar guitar, so look used at GC
Quote by GKDAIR

Anyway, I was looking at the Squier Stratocasters. From googling and youtube they seem to be one of the best beginning guitars to start out on. I like music like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Greenday, Theory of Deadman, Blind Melon, Blink 182, Sum 41, Vertical Horizon, Sugar Ray and etc. Basically anything from the 1990s.

If you had to use a strat then I'd recommend the Squier Tom Delonge Strat, but you probably won't find it unless it's used. First thing that comes to mind if you say 90's is Squier Deryck Whibley Signature Telecaster, which is still selling, versatile enough, $300 and definitely recommended. LTD EC-50 is quite nice, les paul style so it looks like billie joe's guitar. Lastly you could get a Squier Affinity Strat which is my favorite from squier's line of stratocasters.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
If you had to use a strat then I'd recommend the Squier Tom Delonge Strat, but you probably won't find it unless it's used. First thing that comes to mind if you say 90's is Squier Deryck Whibley Signature Telecaster, which is still selling, versatile enough, $300 and definitely recommended. LTD EC-50 is quite nice, les paul style so it looks like billie joe's guitar. Lastly you could get a Squier Affinity Strat which is my favorite from squier's line of stratocasters.

Yeah I HATE the red X's on the tele so no thanks, lol.
Maybe go to GC site and check out what they have used. Under the"Used Gear" section you can enter the zip and sort by category/budget.....etc.

What zip code is the GC you're planning on visiting in?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Maybe go to GC site and check out what they have used. Under the"Used Gear" section you can enter the zip and sort by category/budget.....etc.

What zip code is the GC you're planning on visiting in?

Is it wise to buy used?
It's cheaper and you'd be able to get alot more for your money.

So.....yes.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
It's cheaper and you'd be able to get alot more for your money.

So.....yes.

But not if the guitar is all beat up and stuff?
Quote by GKDAIR
But not if the guitar is all beat up and stuff?

Obviously not. If it's in bad condition (i.e. beat up "and stuff") then it might not be a good idea but if it's just a wear on the finish and if you think it looks cool then it might be a plus.

So....zip code?

And by your first post, I'm assuming CL or ebay is not an option?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Obviously not. If it's in bad condition (i.e. beat up "and stuff") then it might not be a good idea but if it's just a wear on the finish and if you think it looks cool then it might be a plus.

So....zip code?

And by your first post, I'm assuming CL or ebay is not an option?

I don't trust buying from people I don't know, simple as that. Amazon is ok though, as they technically are a store.

Zip Code is 75402 but the closest Guitar Center is about 45 minutes away.
On the used guitars under $400 the ones I'd say to look into are (go with what feels/sounds best):

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender MIM/Standard Strat (there are multiples)
Epiphone Firebird
Schecter C1+ Cherry

Not sure which GC you're going to because they're 4 within 75 miles of you zip code but those are from the Plano one. I tried to avoid guitars with floyds or active pickups (generally not as versatile as passives) but try the ones that appeal to you.

^^ Those are sort of the ones that are hard to go wrong with.

Which GC are you planning on going to?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
On the used guitars under $400 the ones I'd say to look into are (go with what feels/sounds best):

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender MIM/Standard Strat (there are multiples)
Epiphone Firebird
Schecter C1+ Cherry

Not sure which GC you're going to because they're 4 within 75 miles of you zip code but those are from the Plano one. I tried to avoid guitars with floyds or active pickups (generally not as versatile as passives) but try the ones that appeal to you.

^^ Those are sort of the ones that are hard to go wrong with.

Which GC are you planning on going to?

Probably the plano one since its closest.
One thing I kinda noticed. All of the GCs near you have way more used acoustics. My GC is lucky to have even 10 used ones at a time
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?