My friend's selling his Marshall M412B Cab for £100, and I've been on the look out for a 4x12 cab, since I only have 2 old 2x12 Marshall PA Cabs.

I was hoping for something similar to a Marshall 1960, but am currently dropping money into a fair few "My New..." funds, so a 4x12 for £100 seems great.

Should I buy it or wait a few more months and get a 1960?
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
You're right, £100 is pretty great (even if its not the greatest cab) if its in good condition. What have you got at the moment? A 2x12 or something?
M412 is the MG cab no?

Don't get it. Save up for something else.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Moaning about MG cabs now?... and no, the cabs for the MG are MG412.

Seems the main difference between M412s and 1960s are the Eminence speakers. Anybody had good/bad experience with these?
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Last edited by TheKraken at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by TheKraken
Moaning about MG cabs now?... and no, the cabs for the MG are MG412.

Watch how you talk here mate, or no one will want to help you.

Yes you're right, the M412 is for the MA series. Equally as shit.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Watch how you talk here mate, or no one will want to help you.

Yes you're right, the M412 is for the MA series. Equally as shit.

Have you had experience? Because I always hear crap about the MG range, the MA range, anything with solid state circuits, which, within reason if fair enough. But, there's not much to go wrong with cabs surely?

Poorly constructed cabs with cheap speakers and cheap materials will ruin your sound.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by TheKraken
Have you had experience? Because I always hear crap about the MG range, the MA range, anything with solid state circuits, which, within reason if fair enough. But, there's not much to go wrong with cabs surely?

Quality of construction and the type of speakers are pretty much crucial to the sound of a cab. Both the MA and MG cabs are built poorly and although claim to use Celestian speakers, are poor quality speakers.

A 1960 is a nice standard cab. Proper construction and nice Celestians. Save up and buy something along those lines. Depending on where you live, used they can be had for cheap.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by lemurflames
Poorly constructed cabs with cheap speakers and cheap materials will ruin your sound.

Obviously, but have you actually tried one of these cabs to compare to what is believed to be a well constructed cab with expensive speakers?

Nope. But I've played MG amps before. It isn't too hard to believe the MG cabs would be just as poor as the amps that share the same name.

Go on, continue to play that "Have you even tried one?" card. It really helps.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
For the record, I've tried all three. The 1960 is clearly the better cab.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^^You're not being of any help at all

Where's your input then?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Where's your input then?

I believe he is referring to me, and it is a little hypocritical of him to post that.

So here is my help. 1960 > MG cab. A cheap cab won't do you any favors and it will only be money wasted when you decide that it just isn't working for you.

Done.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Go this route :
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399362&highlight=CodeMonk+Cabinet+build

And while I have never played with an MG cab before, I do amp repairs and have repaired MG heads before. Sounded like shit. I am guessing the same quality level exists in the MG cabs.
But that's just a guess.

The wood used in a cab has a big impact on its sound.

You are far better to save up for better a better cab.
Quote by Eppicurt
For the record, I've tried all three. The 1960 is clearly the better cab.

But is it a few hundred pounds better? I bet it sounds better than my old PA speakers, which for £100 is a worthwhile investment for the moment, even if I end up with a second, better quality, cab later in the year.

Or is there a genuine 'crapness' about it.

In short, is it what Epiphone is to Gibson, or is it an utter pile of sonic mess?

AND IT'S NOT AN MG CAB. Stop telling me MG's suck... I know.

Last edited by TheKraken at Feb 1, 2012,
ITT: People don't know that the M412 is NOT the MG cab so everyone is talking out of their ass.

Obviously the 1960 is better than the M412 or the MG412 but they aren't 100 pounds.

Buy it cause it's cheap and makes decent sound. Then when you can, sell it for as much as you paid and upgrade. You won't lose any money and you will have something decent until you can afford to upgrade.
Quote by TheKraken
But is it a few hundred pounds better? I bet it sounds better than my old PA speakers, which for £100 is a worthwhile investment for the moment, even if I end up with a second, better quality, cab later in the year.

Or is there a genuine 'crapness' about it.

In short, is it what Epiphone is to Gibson, or is it an utter pile of sonic mess?

AND IT'S NOT AN MG CAB. Stop telling me MG's suck... I know.

Yes, it is.

There is a genuine crapness to the sound the MA cabs produce.

The MG, MA cabs aren't even in the same universe in terms of quality compared to 1960's.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by acdcrocks0323
ITT: People don't know that the M412 is NOT the MG cab so everyone is talking out of their ass.

Obviously the 1960 is better than the M412 or the MG412 but they aren't 100 pounds.

Buy it cause it's cheap and makes decent sound. Then when you can, sell it for as much as you paid and upgrade. You won't lose any money and you will have something decent until you can afford to upgrade.

We've established that mate.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by acdcrocks0323

Good solid advice, thanks my friend.

I should have learnt never to mention anything even remotely linked to MG amps on this site.

Quote by TheKraken
Good solid advice, thanks my friend.

I should have learnt never to mention anything even remotely linked to MG amps on this site.

Welcome to UG.

A lot of that MG hate is probably people wanting to jump on the bandwagon.

I have played MG amps.
They suck IMO.
But if it was all I had, I would use it.
You can still have fun with them.
And isn't that why most of us play anyway?

But better amps are available for the same price.