Are there any significant differences in terms of quality (construction, electronics, fretwork etc) between pre 2002 Ibanez RG550s and newer ones such as the RG20th, RG1550 (2003 model) or newer RG Prestige models with the Edge Zero trems? Cheers for any help guys.
the RG20th is indonesian built all the others you list are Japanese built. I've heard conflicting views on pre and post prestige ibanez: some say that the lower end prestiges aren't as good as the rg550/570s from before 2002, and some have said that QC has gone up since the prestige line went large in 2003. in terms of trems, i've played both the edge zero, edge pro and original edge/lo pro edge. imo the orignal and lo pro are the best, in terms of feel and build quality. the edge zero is great but is a bitstiff, esp with the ZPS bar in the back. havn't tried the edge zero with the zps taken out tho.
Quote by gman128
the RG20th is indonesian built all the others you list are Japanese built. I've heard conflicting views on pre and post prestige ibanez: some say that the lower end prestiges aren't as good as the rg550/570s from before 2002, and some have said that QC has gone up since the prestige line went large in 2003. in terms of trems, i've played both the edge zero, edge pro and original edge/lo pro edge. imo the orignal and lo pro are the best, in terms of feel and build quality. the edge zero is great but is a bitstiff, esp with the ZPS bar in the back. havn't tried the edge zero with the zps taken out tho.

the original edge is what I like the most out of the whole edge line.
Quote by gman128

The Rg550XX 20th anniversary were made in Japan, can't speak for the 25th anniversary because i don't know personally.

Pre 1990 RG550 are amazing guitars, up to the standard of modern day top prestiges in my honest opinion, they are just great players, and have the large neck bolt, nuff said. The best thing Ibanez did in years was the 2007 reissue.
Last edited by Supernaut2k at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by Supernaut2k
The Rg550XX 20th anniversary were made in Japan, can't speak for the 25th anniversary because i don't know personally.

Pre 1990 RG550 are amazing guitars, up to the standard of modern day top prestiges in my honest opinion, they are just great players, and have the large neck bolt, nuff said. The best thing Ibanez did in years was the 2007 reissue.

oh shizz i read 20th as 25th =D yes you are correct the newest are indo and the ones from 5 years afgo were indeed Japanese
Yes it is. Edge Pros are probably second only to the original Edge.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
So would I be better off buying a 20th anniversary or a pre 1990 550 than a newer RG?

Another thing I've notice too is that when I've spoken to people with newer RGs with the Edge Zero w/ZPS3, they tend to have only good things to say about it unless they've experienced the original Edge, then they say its inferior. Why is this? I know people say it can't flutter as well, but is that it?
Quote by anonimau5
So would I be better off buying a 20th anniversary or a pre 1990 550 than a newer RG?

Another thing I've notice too is that when I've spoken to people with newer RGs with the Edge Zero w/ZPS3, they tend to have only good things to say about it unless they've experienced the original Edge, then they say its inferior. Why is this? I know people say it can't flutter as well, but is that it?

You'll get more bang for buck going for an eighties to nineties RG550, for instance there's a 1991 on ebay.co.uk at the moment, for £180, it'll probably go for 300-350, 400 max.

Main things that effect prices are condition, year, and colour, the most expensive obviously being the 1987 desert yellow's and Road flare reds, pre-90's White RG's also tend to be pricey.

I've got a 20th, cost me £700 in total, a bit pricey, but it was including shipping from abroad and a set of dimarzio's, and i can only say good things about it.
Quote by anonimau5

flutter is such a minor issue i dont see why people make a big deal out of it. Plus an original floyd rose flutters way better then an edge, its mainly due to arm design more than anything else and the pop ins don't flutter as well as the old school original floyd screw in one in my experience (having owned LOTs of ibanez and having a kramer focus 6000 with a ofr which i loved the trem but my hands didnt get on with the neck)

... The newer edge zeros arent made by gotoh anymore so arent of the standard of the old trems...

And yes i'm very much of the opinion that you're better off getting a older rg.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by Supernaut2k
You'll get more bang for buck going for an eighties to nineties RG550, for instance there's a 1991 on ebay.co.uk at the moment, for £180, it'll probably go for 300-350, 400 max.

Main things that effect prices are condition, year, and colour, the most expensive obviously being the 1987 desert yellow's and Road flare reds, pre-90's White RG's also tend to be pricey.

How much should I expect to pay for one in very good condition? A lot of the beat up ones are very cheap but I really hate it when guitars have rust and big paint chips and stuff.