Not a vs. thread, looking for recommendations.

I'm looking for a more lead oriented guitar to attempt to play hard rock/metal with. I have a Tele that I use for more rhythm and blues/jazz/cleans playing. Specs wise, they're both kind of similar: Tremolo, 24 frets, dual HB, Strat shape, etc.

I have a couple questions/concerns:

The PRS seems like more of rock/medium gain guitar, whereas the Ibanez, with its seemingly bad pickups looks more like a metal guitar. The neck on the Ibby doesn't seem to bother me (I've played an RG350DX) but I'm sure the neck on the PRS shouldn't be a problem. I haven't tried the PRS.

I know its more of a shred guitar,and it doesn't really need it, but I am concerned about the possible lack of sustain on the Ibanez, with such a thin body.

Also, I feel like the PRS would have a better build quality being made in Korea, as opposed to the Indonesian made Ibanez.

Thanks. I don't think this needs a tl;dr.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
prs quality will be higher, and of course you can play metal on it - just put in some suitable pickups
The amount of sustain you get out of the S series is pretty impressive actually, if you want more you can also block the bridge. I have a RG420 and the neck is smooth and fast, bends and harmonics are a sinch and don't fade out. (Also the S series are HSH pup configuration not HH)

PRS are arguably the best stock guitars you can get, the pickups in them are more an all around pickup then a metal one thought so you may end up wanting to swap them.

They have a similar neck profile to shecter, and although I haven't played a 7 string from either company I will say this. If it even remotely resembles mine everyone who picks up the guitar will say they love the feel of the neck.

I imagine that both are pretty similar price wise so it comes down to this, if the Ibenez has INF 1,2 M pickups you are going to want to swap them out. They are ok as far as stock pups go but in terms of quality the PRS will give you better ones.

But what it really it comes down to seeing if you can get your hands both guitars sitting down and playing them, in the end it seems like you may have to do a pickup swap for either unless you really like the tone of one of them.
the new PRS SE CU24 is damn hot!!
both guitars will do great in any genre
different buld and neck profiles though, but that is also up to you.

the new PRS SE CU24 has that coil tap so plus points for versatility.
(I have huge G.A.S for the new SE CU24)
Coil taps are alright, I have them in my Schecter. They're kinda meh. Want the new CU24 for its carved top. As said, this guitar would be more for leads, I have two other guitars that would serve other purposes. The Schecter for drop tuning, and the Tele for clean, E standard playing.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I have 2011 PRS SE Custom 24, so it didn't come stock with coil tapping. But I changed the pickups
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I disagree with the prs having better build quality. Every Ibanez I have ever owned no matter where it has been made has had great build quality. I think there qc is great for how (compared to other companies) cheap they can be. Plus I don't see any problem with Indonesian guitars. My vox sdc 33 was built there, fit and finish are perfect, it stays in tune for days and is one of the best guitars you can find for under $1000, also the parker dragonfly 100 is made there, and those are amazing guitars.

As far as the Ibanez and PRS choice, they are both good guitars for the money, but they both have a different feel, so I would say just check them out, Ibanez necks are way different than PRS necks.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
How's the PRS for higher fret access? The Ibanez AANJ is pretty amazing for that.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
LOOKS pretty good. The body, on the lower horn side, meets the fretboard at the 23rd fret.

Anybody know how good these pickups are in the current Custom 24?

Sidenote: Does "PRS SE Custom 24" = "PRS SE CU24"? I just wasn't quite sure if they were the same model, and I don't want to look like a moron
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Yes and type of pickups are PRS in house ones, they are supposed to be pretty good all around pickups. But obviously if went with dim,sey,bare they would sound much better, especially sine they would be tailored to a specific genre of music.
Should have had Opeth come in and do the demo, would have been dope to see Mike or Fred take a go on it.
Nope, but I know what I'm doing for the next hour now :P

Yeah, new tour is going to be dope. My band saw them a few months ago on their first pass through, had to hope over to the next city to see them but we got to meet most of them after the show. Really chill guys and a great show, going to see them again when they come back around.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Feb 3, 2012,
If you're going more for shred and technicality, then the S770 is definitely what you want. Played one at a local store, I would've bought it that day if I had money. Fret access was unbelievable, and it came set up great. The pickups weren't the best, but that's to be epected from Ibanez.

If you want something that isn't a total metal machine and do more than just the scattered clean break or low gain stuff, then I'd probably go for the PRS. High fret access isn't quite as good, but I found the cleans and jazz type tones to be thicker (though not by much, the S770 was surprisingly good considering it's thickness).
What I want to try and achieve (mainly through practice, as my lead chops are terrible ) is a prog rock/metal sound. Bands like Scale the Summit, Protest the Hero, Opeth, and other bands like Alexisonfire and the Mars Volta.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
The ibenez will help a lot for protest, the access it gives is almost a must.

Damn crazy sweep picking on high frets XD
Quote by AWACS
What I want to try and achieve (mainly through practice, as my lead chops are terrible ) is a prog rock/metal sound. Bands like Scale the Summit, Protest the Hero, Opeth, and other bands like Alexisonfire and the Mars Volta.

PRS, I'd say. I think they just plain sound better than the Ibanez.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.