Short and sweet, after a very good run, my Sennheiser HD280's died on me yesterday. They were good enough and lasted long enough that I want another pair, which I'm planning to buy tomorrow, but while checking the price, I saw these, which are the same price and practically the same specwise. It doesn't make sense to me though to make two identical models, and google wasn't being any help.

So I have two questions for those who know about headphones: what differences would I find between the two, and which would I be better off with for my needs? Mainly would be used for music listening, monitoring, and mixing, as well as for games. Not much travel, that's what I keep my earbuds for outside of long trips.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by necrosis1193
Short and sweet, after a very good run, my Sennheiser HD280's died on me yesterday.

Sert-vous à droite pour l'achat d'un casque de merde allemand.
we all know it takes a REAL man to hate some one BETTER THAN YOU
Skullcandies d00d
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by abyssalghost
Sert-vous à droite pour l'achat d'un casque de merde allemand.

Il y a peut-être quelque chose que je ne comprends pas, mais pourquoi parle-t'on en français?

Back on topic; I don't know enough about headphones to tell you which is better, but they both sound great.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
One question dude. Do you recommend the 280HD? I'm going to buy them later this week.

Absolutely - I was very pleased with mine, as indicated by the fact I plan to buy another pair. Very clear and articulate, and respond very well to EQing. A little on the quiet side, but that's pretty minor. The only pair I've heard better quality out of was a set of $1,000 studio-quality mixing headphones that were more or less high-fidelity speakers strapped to your ears.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Serchbarr12s are pretty good.

"Headphone help" in the searchbar didn't turn up anything useful for this particular comparison, I did my obligated duty.

Anyway, digging on some audiophile forums seems to say that the other headphones need phantom power or something similar, so another set of HD280's it is.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 1, 2012,
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Wait... My sennheiser HD 280 pros will eventually die on me? Thats horribly depressing....

They go down in a blaze of glory, killing nazis with battery-powered bullets that play the star spangled banner. It's more awesome than depressing. And kind of ironic since Sennheiser is a German company.

How different are they to HD201's? Just wondering because as you've described, they're so sonically balanced, but a bit on the quiet side
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I assume you're pair of 280's didn't have a microphone attached when I say this, if they did let me know because the 280's have 3 variants.

Your old 280's are actually better then the 448's so if you can find a pair of them again just hit those up, they will definitely give you more bang for your buck.

The 280's have a great range of frequency, they bigger then range the more you are able to hear.

You're Frequency is related to the impedance, so higher impedance means you have a greater frequency range. The down side to this, is that it takes more power to effectively drive you're headset's the higher the impedance goes.

Now to effectively make use of the HD 280's you need a more power to drive them, this is where the HD448's can be useful. They have lower impedance and a pretty fair range, meaning that you would in fact have better sound from the HD448's then the HD 280's if plugged into an Ipod for example.

But since you said they will probably stay at home as long as your computer or stereo system is decent you should have no issues getting the most out of the 280's.

I have a pair of HD 598's freaking love um, not cheap though
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Feb 1, 2012,
I'm actually thinking about getting HD280's myself. get out of my head!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by necrosis1193
They go down in a blaze of glory, killing nazis with battery-powered bullets that play the star spangled banner. It's more awesome than depressing. And kind of ironic since Sennheiser is a German company.

I hope that day never comes... Il think back upon me first putting on animals as leaders, tosins bass made me penis ravage as if it were being licked by an angel...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How different are they to HD201's? Just wondering because as you've described, they're so sonically balanced, but a bit on the quiet side

I haven't actually tried the 201's, and for that matter I'm not much an a qualified audiophile, but based on what I can glean, the build quality is higher, and I'd assume the quality of the speaker inside would be higher as well. It's a big price difference, and with my experience with their products, even Sennheiser's lower-end is fair quality, so unless you're absurdly picky about your audio like I can get, or need the clarity, the 201's should be just fine. If you can justify the extra cash though, the 280's are an investment I didn't regret a single time I put them on. My only gripe is they're too big to keep in my pocket!

Quote by BigHeadClan
I assume you're pair of 280's didn't have a microphone attached when I say this, if they did let me know because the 280's have 3 variants.

Your old 280's are actually better then the 448's so if you can find a pair of them again just hit those up, they will definitely give you more bang for your buck.

The 280's have a great range of frequency, they bigger then range the more you are able to hear.

You're Frequency is related to the impedance, so higher impedance means you have a greater frequency range. The down side to this, is that it takes more power to effectively drive you're headset's the higher the impedance goes.

Now to effectively make use of the HD 280's you need a more power to drive them, this is where the HD448's can be useful. They have lower impedance and a pretty fair range, meaning that you would in fact have better sound from the HD448's then the HD 280's if plugged into an Ipod for example.

But since you said they will probably stay at home as long as your computer or stereo system is decent you should have no issues getting the most out of the 280's.

I have a pair of HD 598's freaking love um, not cheap though

Many thanks for the detailed, thought-out response - I've been trying to learn more about the electrical engineering and audio electronics ends of music, but I can never find a good resource, so it's always refreshing to get some good info here. And I actually eyed a pair of 598s once in-store, but then I saw the price tag and went the other way. I'm tempted to try them, but I know that once I do, I'll never be able to go back, and I'll end up spending another $100!

Quote by JAHellraiser
I'm actually thinking about getting HD280's myself. get out of my head!

Do it, believe me, you won't regret it!

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
One question dude. Do you recommend the 280HD? I'm going to buy them later this week.

i also want to buy. (Invalid img)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

HD201's are alright headsets, they are comparable to the nicer Skull-Candy headsets at half the cost. But even spending an extra $20-$50 or so can make a huge difference in audio quality, but as Necro said once you get a nice pair of headsets it's over for you.

@Necro
The HD598's are priced really well right now, they where $530ish when I got them

Even then though they where worth every penny, don't look the greatest but nothing is better in terms of quality-cost on the market right now.

Also an alternative headset both of you can check out out is the Samson SR850, $50 bucks and are a good middle ground between the HD448 and HD280.
Quote by kenyagkvs
i also want to buy. (Invalid img)

adbot

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Can someone explain to me the obsession with high quality headphones?
Je ne le comprends pas.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Well unless you like listening to music on ipod ear buds with bad bass, and a frequency range that literately cut's out parts of a song be my guest and keep listening

Good music + good speakers = good sounding music
Good music + bad speakers = bad sounding music
Quote by Tessalate
Can someone explain to me the obsession with high quality headphones?
Je ne le comprends pas.

Try a pair for yourself and you'll see. Unless you have no ear for tone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.