I was curious if your own voice sounds the same recorded but not mastered as it does live, and can your singing naturally sound better with guitar in the background as to just itself?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Your voice is always going to sound different to yourself when its recorded, as when you sing/speak normally, you're actually hearing your voice through the bones and flesh of your face.

When the actual sound is replayed back to you, it sounds different than how you normally interpret it.

Mastering can drastically alter vocals in a song, so you may have difficulty replicating studio sound in a live scenario.

Backing instruments may help thicken the soundscape, and make your own voice seem more in tune. It can also do the opposite, and make your voice seem off pitch.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Your voice is always going to sound different to yourself when its recorded, as when you sing/speak normally, you're actually hearing your voice through the bones and flesh of your face.

When the actual sound is replayed back to you, it sounds different than how you normally interpret it.

Mastering can drastically alter vocals in a song, so you may have difficulty replicating studio sound in a live scenario.

Backing instruments may help thicken the soundscape, and make your own voice seem more in tune. It can also do the opposite, and make your voice seem off pitch.

I was just curious because, I am starting a singer songwriter acoustic project and when i sing and play guitar to myself and others it sounds good but then i record my voice gets very vibrato and sounds shallow, and vibrato in a bad way like an uncontrolled raspy cracky vibrato.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Cloudkicker
I was just curious because, I am starting a singer songwriter acoustic project and when i sing and play guitar to myself and others it sounds good but then i record my voice gets very vibrato and sounds shallow, and vibrato in a bad way like an uncontrolled raspy cracky vibrato.

I'm reminded of a thread that came up once which was:

"Hey guys, I'm a great singer, but I sound horrible when I sing through a PA or listen through the foldbacks. Is there any way to fix the PA so I don't have this problem?"

I'll just have to say the same thing here that I said in that thread. You're hearing yourself for the first time, welcome to the sound of your voice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A fun thing to do is when practicing by yourself, get some closed headphones and a microphone (you can even do this on your computer, just unmute the microphone in the volume control window and you can hear it directly) so you can monitor yourself and hear what other people would hear. Its an interesting experience.
Quote by Cloudkicker

In some ways, recording your voice and listening to the raw playback can give you a bit of a harsh, revealing view of what your voice sounds like. A lot of it has to do with the way you may have recorded it, as well as it not being processed in any way. I remember when I bought my first condenser mic I assumed it would automatically make me sound like a studio recording. Not so. But just stay confident with your voice and keep working on it until it sounds passable, and then you should start learning some tricks of the trade involving EQ and pitch correction to get it to sound better in the mix
I hate my sig
I hate my voice. I hate hearing recordings where I speak. Its perhaps why I don't sing, although I could probably hit the notes if I tried. If someone spoke to me and they sounded like I sound, I'd punch them in the face. I wonder why people don't punch me in the face more often. Cuz I sure do talk a lot.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
I hate my voice. I hate hearing recordings where I speak. Its perhaps why I don't sing, although I could probably hit the notes if I tried. If someone spoke to me and they sounded like I sound, I'd punch them in the face. I wonder why people don't punch me in the face more often. Cuz I sure do talk a lot.

Well everyone hates the sound of their own voice at first. Once you "get over it", it becomes another tool in your musical arsenal. If it sounds a little off, you just adjust things little by little over time, and when you get a good sound finally, it feels really good.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well everyone hates the sound of their own voice at first. Once you "get over it", it becomes another tool in your musical arsenal. If it sounds a little off, you just adjust things little by little over time, and when you get a good sound finally, it feels really good.

Its not really an issue as I have no burning desire to become a singer anyway.
Quote by Hydra150
Its not really an issue as I have no burning desire to become a singer anyway.

Do you have a burning desire to get laid heaps?
Soundcloud
I sing in bands and have recorded myself quite a bit. I'm not amazing but I can definately confirm that you'll think you sound worse than you are, at least initially.

Although hearing yourself sing is good because you'll hear things that your doing wrong for the first time. i.e. singing in tune, timing, the character of your voice through the ranges, your expressions etc.

I've found that if you can make yourself sound better to your own ears on a home recording then you'll probably sound much better live. Plus live mics colour your voice nicely as opposed to a recording condensor mic for example.
^ i have to disagree with your mic assertion, all mic's color voices a little differently and good or bad is relative.

Quote by AlanHB

this +1

i always love hearing people say "i don't sound good in/out of this mic/headphones/pa/preamp/speakers" when the gear is at least semi decent. then i get to wait and see how long they're going to tell themselves it's not them (and it's usually a while) it's a little game the optimist part of my brain plays with the cynical part i think. but yeah, just take the issues and fix them as you notice them - take actual notes and practice using them.
Last edited by z4twenny at Feb 2, 2012,
Oh and in relation to post-processing, I'd recommend highly that you get a good usable sounds out of your voice first. Here's a little story:

So there's a girl around my city. She wrote some acoustic songs then paid some session musicians and a producer to do her EP, and it ended up sounding pretty good. They autotuned the crap out of her voice, but in a cool not-to-noticable professional way. So off she goes to promote the EP.

On the strength of the EP she gets heaps of gigs initially, but when she plays somethings a bit off. That something is that she always sings flat. So those bookings, they become one-off bookings, venues don't want her back. One organiser actually told me "yeah she's just too pitchy, I can't have her back".

As musicians, we tend to be a bit pickier about technical correctness, but if you are in the position where the audience/venue owners/booking agents/all non-musician music goers all say "something's a bit off", even if they can't describe it, well, something needs to be fixed.

Just iterating an issue that can happen with processing.
Soundcloud
Another look at the subject would be, most people dont have singing technique and sing from their throat, thus getting another sound, and next to that hurting your voice. Just like guitar and any other instrument singing has techniques and one of them is to breath and "sing" from your belly. If you learn to do that, things will sound a lot more like your "natural" voice.
Quote by ridicilus
Another look at the subject would be, most people dont have singing technique and sing from their throat, thus getting another sound, and next to that hurting your voice. Just like guitar and any other instrument singing has techniques and one of them is to breath and "sing" from your belly. If you learn to do that, things will sound a lot more like your "natural" voice.

I do singer/songwriter stuff so my head voice is key to my sound.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by AlanHB
Do you have a burning desire to get laid heaps?

BRB booking singing lessons/puchasing auto-tune software

Im actually a brilliant singer when I have my iPod turned up full blast, but the other patrons of the library seem to disagree.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by Cloudkicker
I do singer/songwriter stuff so my head voice is key to my sound.

Oh I didn't realise the two were mutually exclusive.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Oh and in relation to post-processing, I'd recommend highly that you get a good usable sounds out of your voice first. Here's a little story:

So there's a girl around my city. She wrote some acoustic songs then paid some session musicians and a producer to do her EP, and it ended up sounding pretty good. They autotuned the crap out of her voice, but in a cool not-to-noticable professional way. So off she goes to promote the EP.

On the strength of the EP she gets heaps of gigs initially, but when she plays somethings a bit off. That something is that she always sings flat. So those bookings, they become one-off bookings, venues don't want her back. One organiser actually told me "yeah she's just too pitchy, I can't have her back".

As musicians, we tend to be a bit pickier about technical correctness, but if you are in the position where the audience/venue owners/booking agents/all non-musician music goers all say "something's a bit off", even if they can't describe it, well, something needs to be fixed.

Just iterating an issue that can happen with processing.

Definitely. You should always make sure you can pull it off live first. But sometimes just the tiniest bit of pitch correction can go a long way.

I just started self producing an EP with my band and I did a take that I felt was really good, but once I played it back it just didn't sound like I wanted it to. The high note that I hit wasn't even noticeably flat, but we just raised it the slightest bit and it sounded wonderful. But obviously you want the majority of the good sound to be achieved by you, and then use processing just to get it sounding polished
I hate my sig
When I recorded myself back when I was 11 years old. I was so shocked, because I thought I had a terrible speaking and singing voice.
Now when I record it, it sounds so bad to me. I wonder if people talk behind my back because of my voice lol
If you want to hear what you sound like with out your bones pre amplifying your voice, cup both of your hands and press them against your jaw bone. That's what you sound like.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by Hydra150

Im actually a brilliant singer when I have my iPod turned up full blast, but the other patrons of the library seem to disagree.

aha I must have thought this was hilarious when I posted it because I dont even own an iPod (much less frequent a library)