Hi guys,

I've done a lot of tutorials on YouTube and it seems that no matter what, I always sound different from the guy giving the lesson. I tuned my guitar using an electric tuner but still I sound off.

For example, I tried following a tutorial on how to play "Yellow" by "Coldplay" and every time I strum my B string sounds really loud and off.

I also bought "Guitar for Dummies" and in all of the lessons I sound different as well.

Is this normal for a beginner? Am I missing something?
are you taking lessons?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Is your guitar tuned?
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
being self taught is hard and takes a lot longer
I did the youtube/google way for 2 years, and i decided to take lessons about 2 months ago. I've learned more in the last 2 months than i ever did in the 2 years prior.

it might be worth your while to find someone to give you some lessons until you have the basics down, then you'll know how to practice and won't be teaching yourself bad habits.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
What kind of guitar do you have? Brand,Type,etc
My Setup:

Slammer XP-1 by Hamer w/ SD's Hot Rodded Humbuckers
Jay Turser JT-RR100 (Custom)
Barracuda Les Paul (Custom)
Peavey ValveKing Head/Cab
Line 6 Spider III 120w Combo
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
DigiTech RP300A Mulit-Effects Pedal
Quote by Reisgar42
Is your guitar tuned?

Lol cant read short OP.

Start lessons.
Make sure guitar is intonated, although you said open string, still a good idea.
Are you picking really aggressively? Fretting too hard to the point of bending out of tune?
is your guitar tuned properly? an electric tuner, while fairly accurate, cannot tell you if you're tuning a particular string properly. what I mean, is that the tuner has no idea whether you're trying to tune your 4th or 5th string, it just knows you're trying to tune something to D. makes sure your guitar is tuned (low to high) EADGBE. the fact that your B always sounds off leads me to think that your b really isn't a b.

also, keep in mind that guitars can go out of tune rather quickly. you pretty much have to tune up every time you play
See if fourth fret g sounds like open b.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
I taught my self how to play guitar and it is difficult at first but I took lessons and hated it I went for 3 lessons the dude was terrible. I continued by my self and I did YouTube and I am lucky to have people around me that could point me In the right direction from time to time but in the end I think teaching yourself is far better than taking lessons because you end up having your own style instead of having someone else's It pays off In the long run but It is frusterating at first. stick with it
Last edited by Mballantine at Mar 2, 2012,
take a look at Justinguitar.com He has free lessons and they are ordered in a way that would help make learning easier. If you have a good computer or a xbox360/ps3 I would suggest getting a copy of rocksmith. Use justinguitar for learning and practice then use Rocksmith for extended practicing. Ive advanced more doing this in the past few months than I have in the last 4 years doing it the hard way through youtube and google.