My band has gotten pretty popular around my town. We've been playing at a hangout where all our friends and fans can come. We've had pretty good turnouts and a few people have asked us to play at their restraunts and coffee shops for live entertainment. We play at our normal venue for free because we started out just trying to find a place that would let us play in public but now that we are good and have people wanting to hire us, we dont know how much to charge.

so here's the real question. We all are pretty amatuer in my opinion even though everyone around here seems to like us. what do you guys band's charge for a gig? should we charge by the hour or what? We need lots of feedback!!! help!
The Overflow+READ=zombies.

"if the individual has the right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny." -Benjamin R Tucker
Are you covers or originals? How long can you play for? How old are you?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The Eagles charges like 200 bucks a ticket, filling about 10000 seats so I figure you can get away with 100 per ticket

Spot a venue and check the calendar for other bands similar to your level that play there. Get in touch with those bands and ask. If you ask the venue promoter he'll rip you off for sure.
First off, don't worry about making a huge profit. 1) Your a band before a business, at least while you're still small 2) Have fun and gain fans before worrying about making money.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying throw money away, but while you're still small and local, fans are infinitely valuable. It's better to play a venue for $50 than demand $200 and never be allowed in.

Try asking other bands how much they've been paid to play certain places. Go for the average price, don't undercut other bands. You'll just end up screwing over the entire scene and pissing off other bands in the long run. If you don't have a good idea what to charge $100/hr is a good start, so $50 for a 30 minute set of originals. $200 for a 4 hour cover show. You can start asking for more once you've played more locations and are confident you're bringing fans and that it's worth it for the venue. Also multiply it by the size of the place / number of people. $100/hr is good for a bar, maybe $40/hr for a coffee house, $200/hr for a festival. This is all assuming a reasonable draw of people. If you play a coffeehouse and are expecting 8 people to show up, it might be pushing it to charge $40.

But keep in mind, if you don't have prior experience with a location, or no proof of a giant draw, they might want to bargain low. This is totally reasonable, plan for it. Maybe if a bar owner seems apprehensive, tell him "We'll play Friday Night for just $25, and if you like the number of people we bring, and you will, we'll set up something for next months for a real price."

You can also try playing for a percentage price. If they'll be collecting tickets (or it's at a bar) take 50% of the door, or 25% of the bar sales that night. In this case though, you'll need to be sure you can trust your numbers. A lot of managers might lie about sales, a bad doorman might let people in free or not count everyone. It's still an idea to keep in mind.
You may also find that a venue has a set price that they are prepared to pay bands, you may not get the chance to name your price.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have limited experience because most of what I play is based on our ticket sales, but the one bar cover band I played with charged $300 for the night. I honestly forget how many hours it was. It was a 6 piece band so it came out to $60 per person, plus tips.

My suggestion would be to start low. Maybe $100 until you can prove that you really bring out a big crowd, and then you can start to ask for more.
I hate my sig
This has come up before, and it seems there may be differences is cover band pay between the US and Australia. Where I live, $200 would be an extremely minimal pay, $400 would be baseline. $600 would be standard. Those are for lower-end pubs. In the upper clubs wage would go up to $1200. Weddings and corporate gigs, $1000 - $4000. These figures are based on 3-4 hour gigs.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
This has come up before, and it seems there may be differences is cover band pay between the US and Australia. Where I live, $200 would be an extremely minimal pay, $400 would be baseline. $600 would be standard. Those are for lower-end pubs. In the upper clubs wage would go up to $1200. Weddings and corporate gigs, $1000 - $4000. These figures are based on 3-4 hour gigs.

That's about normal, though there is a difference between a good experienced cover band and a bunch of kids trying to make it through SCoM with out butchering it.

For the rage tribute I do, we negotiate every gig except for one, we didn't have a flat rate we charge. Only flat rate we have is when we play a certain local bar/club for $300 for playing an hour to hour and a half every month.

Other than that we've played places ranging from $100 to $1500 for a few hours. Really depends on what the individual venues are willing to pay for entertainment and if we have to travel or not. They're not stupid, they realize bringing us in as apposed to the some inexperienced cover band will attract more people since we have radio recognition locally and people that come out regularly to hang out.

Point is, your little rock club may only be able to hold 150 people and subsequently can only pay you so much and still make a profit, the bigger and bigger place you play with having the potential of more and more people showing up the more they can afford to pay.
thanks guys! you all really helped a lot! for more help with feedback, we are all 16-18 yrs old, playing mostly originals with covers sprinkled in so ppl can sing along. Id like to be able to play for about three hrs or so.

"if the individual has the right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny." -Benjamin R Tucker
Quote by hiwaychild1
thanks guys! you all really helped a lot! for more help with feedback, we are all 16-18 yrs old, playing mostly originals with covers sprinkled in so ppl can sing along. Id like to be able to play for about three hrs or so.

just make sure you have 3 hours of material lol
Quote by hiwaychild1

Mostly originals eh? Well throw my figures out the window then. Original bands will often make nothing ($0) starting out. As they gain a fanbase they team up with other bands, hire venues and charge people at the door. That's how they get their cash.

And I'd be very surprised if you scored a set playing 3 hours of originals straight off the bat. Most bands don't even have 3 hours of originals (about 36-40 songs). The average gig for originals is 45 mins.

I'd also decide whether you are a covers band or an originals band. Don't mix the two. If you're an originals band, I'll grant you 1-2 covers per hour of music. If you are a cover band you can play zero (0) originals.
Soundcloud
Work with the owner's of the venues! Don't walk in demanding a certain price or you'll likely tick some people off and not get called back! Don't worry about it, play around town, make a few bucks, but most importantly, gain fans and contacts that will help you in the future. The more fans you have, the more you'll be able to charge, and the more phone calls you'll be getting!
Quote by AlanHB
Mostly originals eh? Well throw my figures out the window then. Original bands will often make nothing ($0) starting out. As they gain a fanbase they team up with other bands, hire venues and charge people at the door. That's how they get their cash.

And I'd be very surprised if you scored a set playing 3 hours of originals straight off the bat. Most bands don't even have 3 hours of originals (about 36-40 songs). The average gig for originals is 45 mins.

I'd also decide whether you are a covers band or an originals band. Don't mix the two. If you're an originals band, I'll grant you 1-2 covers per hour of music. If you are a cover band you can play zero (0) originals.

now when I say mostly originals, Im saying thats what we played at our last few gigs. We threw in a bunch of crowd starters and everythings else to get the crowd's energy flowing, And after that, we played our songs. Even after, we would ask the crowd what they wanted to hear afterward. Weve gotten popular enough to where some people request our songs and some ask if we know others. we do play a ton of covers.

Quote by hiwaychild1
now when I say mostly originals, Im saying thats what we played at our last few gigs. We threw in a bunch of crowd starters and everythings else to get the crowd's energy flowing, And after that, we played our songs. Even after, we would ask the crowd what they wanted to hear afterward. Weve gotten popular enough to where some people request our songs and some ask if we know others. we do play a ton of covers.

Quality doesn't matter as far as venues are concerned, in most cases the venue doesn't make enough profit to actually pay the bands. Which is why most people do it for the love and not the money.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!