Hey fellas once again

Well i was practicing today with my band. and i came to a guitar block..

Ive been practicing playing in major scale and im gettin the hang of it pretty good, even playing with my fav mode lydian all the time to just get major sound in my head. but everytime i solo in a major key, it seems like i sound straight up like a country solo.. and it doesnt sound like Contemporary christian solos.. ( i know what u guys might say, thats ur style bro! but im trying to play the music they want me to play as a performer..) so any help would help!! please!
Hmm.. I'm not really sure how to help you. From my experience listening to and performing with (once, only) Christian bands, there's generally not a lot to the solos. Pretty "generic", if I dare, use of the major scales. And lots of delay.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help, but that's really my only observation. The only thing I can think to mention is to listen to other contemp. Christian bands in an attempt to emulate their style of lead guitar.

Also, that's just your style bro!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
It's not the scales fault that you're sounding country, it's yours. Learn some Christian solos (can't believe I just used that phrase) and figure out how your favourite players use those same scales.

Or you could just play what you like, if that's an option.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just to follow-up on Alan's post, it appears that you're committing a very common mistake.

Which is to blame the scale when your solos don't sound the way you want them to sound.

The fault is not in the scale. It is in your application of your scale. There is nothing inherently "country" about the major scale, so the problem is definitely in your applicaiton.

I'm firmly of the belief that once you've learned the major and minor scale, and their respective pentatonics, you shouldn't even think about focusing on another scale until you find yourself listening to a piece a music and noticing - by ear - things like, "Oh, that's interesting. It's like the major scale, except the fourth is always sharp."

The advice to study solos that sound the way you want to sound is good. Also (and wow sometimes I feel like a broken record saying this) work on your ear. Developing your ear is how you take control of your solos, how you gain the ability to decide how you want them to sound and make them sound that way.
You might find relevant advice in a thread here http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/christianguitarist/forum/

Use overdrive and deley effects (even buy an eBow, I think some guys use that) and play the melody of the song on the geetar, or improvise around the melody. If you could post a recording, or just describe in more detail, what it is you play and what better describe you would rather sound like theh it would be easier to help you.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
1. Pick a song with a solo that you'd like your solos to sound like
2. Learn the solo
3. Analyse the solo and steal/alter some licks from it
4. Repeat
5. Create your own style
6. ???
7. PROFIT!!!
I hate my sig
Quote by bouttimeijoined
Christian Guitar Solos?

Two Words:

Neal.

Morse.

Isnt he the singer in Yellow Matter Custard? You wanna learn something about guitar solos, search for the YMC version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Gilbert is amazing.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
If you don't want to get crap because the majority of people here are into rock and metal, which are mostly anti-religion genres despite quite a few key members of those genres being religious go here: http://www.christianguitar.org/

Really the closed mindedness of a lot of users here is really disgusting. That being said most people here are going to assume I'm religious, no not just religious, a christian and troll me for it, in which they completely missed the point of my argument.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
If you don't want to get crap because the majority of people here are into rock and metal, which are mostly anti-religion genres despite quite a few key members of those genres being religious go here: http://www.christianguitar.org/

Really the closed mindedness of a lot of users here is really disgusting. That being said most people here are going to assume I'm religious, no not just religious, a christian and troll me for it, in which they completely missed the point of my argument.

Judge not lest ye be judged dude. The only defining characteristic of Christian music which separates it from other genres is the lyrics, which has no bearing on music theory.

I don't think anyone here has bagged out Christians or religion, and many bands have religious/Christian members even though they are not classified as a Christian band.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Judge not lest ye be judged dude. The only defining characteristic of Christian music which separates it from other genres is the lyrics, which has no bearing on music theory.

I don't think anyone here has bagged out Christians or religion, and many bands have religious/Christian members even though they are not classified as a Christian band.

Sorry, I sort of got ahead of myself and assumed all the posts would be like this one:

Quote by Northernmight
Burn a witch and pray. Might help.

I've been reading too many articles dealing with religion on here :|\

Edit: Still, what better place to learn how to play 'christian type of music' than a christian guitar forum?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234

Edit: Still, what better place to learn how to play 'christian type of music' than a christian guitar forum?

Here. Like AlanHB said, there's really nothing that seperates "Christian" music from anything else, other than the lyrics. And not EVERYONE on here is an atheist. I don't play "Christian" music but I'm still a Christian in beliefs.
I hate my sig
Quote by zomgguitarz1234

Sorry, I sort of got ahead of myself and assumed all the posts would be like this one:

Yeah that's cool. It's the minority though.

Quote by zomgguitarz1234

Just having a look at the forum, it seems that the Christian guitar forum would be a valuable resource for finding new Christian artists, but the one we're in is probably the best for learning and applying music theory. In any case it's definitely more active.

Also, observe if you were to post:

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
If you don't want to get crap because the majority of people here are into rock and metal, which are mostly anti-religion genres

On that site:

Quote by Christian Guitar Forum Rule
I am extremely sick of seeing posts such as "metal is satanic" and dealing with people getting offended because they don't realize that it's a joke. Any further similar posts (in other words, any joking posts that say that metal is evil/satanic/non-christian) will be deleted without explanation. Such posts add nothing to the conversation of the thread. Not to mention the fact that they're extremely uncreative and getting very old.

Your entire post above would be removed, for the very reason that the moderators of the Christian Guitar Forum believe it isn't true at all.
Soundcloud