I know this question is probably asked all the time, but I don't understand. I learned the 5 positions of the A minor pentatonic scale, but how do I connect all of them during solo without pausing and make it all smooth? Do I slide when playing a string into a different position? How do I know when to switch and from which fret to which fret so it sounds good?

Also, is it possible so learn other minor pentatonic scales or even completely different modes and connect them with each other?
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Feb 1, 2012,
Learn the notes on the fretboard, learn to translate melodies from your head to your fingertips, and then get playing.

The key to fluidity in your playing is to know where the next note you want to play is and what the easiest and cleanest way to get there is from the last note you played.
It's late, I just got home from work, and I'm tired, so let me apologize in advance for not being clear/thorough.

To answer the first half of the second question first: The A minor pentatonic scale forms are exactly the same as B minor, C minor, etc. If you know A minor, you've learned the scale in every other key as well.

Now for the first question: In terms of connecting the shapes of the pentatonic scales, my advice would be to look for shared notes. If you look, you'll find that the shapes are all literally linked together by shared notes. How you go about connecting the shapes together is entirely up to you. What I did is I went up the first shape and down the second shape, up the first shape and down the third shape and so on.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
first of all, all you need to do is experiment and possibly study a few of your favourite solos. build yourself a colllection of riffs that you can pull out in a solo (stealing them from your favourite artists is a good way to start). if you have a loop pedal id suggest using it, if not then id suggest getting one because it does wonders for soloing practice.

from what i know, you cant play in a different scale over the same chord progression but you can experiment with adding in different parts of the major, minor or blues scales depending on what sound youre looking for. the only way to switch to different scales is to modulate your chord progression.

if you want to study theory theres a whole lot of stuff about harmonizing with the chords and using different keys and chord progressions to apply different kinds of feeling to the music.

hope this helps
Learn the notes, not the shapes. Practice and try making big interval jumps. If needed, think of it like singing, you don't ascend and descend in small intervals while singing.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
It depends on many things, I'll share what makes it for me, my best hm skill in soloing is that I start from the root note of the first chord and always finish my introduction to the solo in the Minor Third of the root (or fifth, depends on the chord). From there on it's a walk in the wood and you can literally tie any note into the solo phah If you want a deep yet slow going passage go to the lower frets, if you want to bring up some shredding speed keep to the 12+, if you want to rip out some melody, keep to the 5 to 12 frets, plenty of spots to net some awesome sounds and tie them together. My tip would be the following: study intervals and scale formation
Forget about the five positions. They're good and convenient for learning what the scale sounds like, but other than that, they are nothing but trouble. Learn the notes of the fretboard and the notes of the scale - in the case of A minor pentatonic, it's A C D E G - and learn scales as a series of intervals. Anywhere on the neck that you find A C D E G in any combination, you can play A minor pentatonic.

For switching to another 'position', it's up to you what to do. You can slide, you can do a hammer on/pull off, you can bend, etc. All that matters is how it sounds to you. If you don't like how it sounds, try another technique or another note.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
One simple "trick" is to take your favorite licks in your comfort zone (prolly minor pentatonic like everyone else) and find their octaves either higher or lower across the neck. It requiers the same muscle memory but it's two frets back two strings up for example. Paul gilbert does that alot. It sounds cool because you can cover a wide interval of tones very quickly.

It's not really an answer to your question but it does help you branch out. It's a progressive thing. It's hard to all of a sudden venture out across the whole neck at once. Branch out little by little. And as mentioned before, learn the notes.

-Tony
I'd say learn all the modal scales. Once you know all the modes, you can play in a specific key anywhere on the fretboard, you can learn to incoporate the mood changes in your soloing, and it's just fun and interesting.
As far as getting more creative with licks goes, the best advice I can give is to stop just improvising every now and then and experiment with new sounds and intervals, so you can add things to your muscle memory bank of tricks to pull out.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
TS, ignore the word "modes" - there's a ton of incorrect information about them but i can assure you they aren't going to help you with this, they don't apply.

Modes haved absolutely nothing to do with shapes, positions, where you play on the fretboard, what order you play notes in or which note you "start" from.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com