I know everybody has their own style and preference when it comes to guitar but I think everyone can recognize good build quality and etc.

I'm somewhat new to guitar. I played for a couple of months, got the basic chords down and stuff, could actually play a good number of songs. I stopped because my dad, well not to get all personal but when my dad finds out I like something he goes overboard with it, so he pretty much made me feel uncool while playing guitar. Hes like 47 years old and he bought a warlock guitar. Mid Life Crisis much?

Anyway. I have a Fender Starcaster, and I don't need to tell you guys how much they suck. I mean its good for just starting out, but im a bit more experienced than just starting out. I want something with a good quality, and a nice amp to match it. I read the FAQ and it said to pay about the same price of the amp as you would the guitar.

Which out of these would you feel comfortable recommending a somewhat beginner? I'll rank them in the order they interest me

1) Squier standard strat - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-101012748-i1146337.gc

I love how the stratocasters look. By far one of my favorite looking guitars, however I don't hear good things about Squier.
----------------------------------------------
2) Epiphone Les Paul 100 - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Electric-Guitar-100246478-i1150098.gc

I really like this look too, however I am concered it would not fit my style of music well (see below)
-------------------------------------
3) Epiphone G-310 SG Electric Guitar - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-310-SG-Electric-Guitar-101941128-i1149969.gc

Not a big fan of the body on this, but this always comes up when I google good beginnig guitars, not sure it would fit my style
-----------------------------------------------
4)Ibanez ART100 Electric Guitar - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-ART100-Electric-Guitar-104469689-i1173386.gc

I like the body, it just doesn't look like an electric guitar IMO.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) Ibanez GRG150DX Electric Guitar - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRG150DX-Electric-Guitar-H69996-i1697598.gc

I actually love the look of this one
--------------------------------------------

Based off of them which one could you comfortablly recommend to me?

Music I like: Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Nirvana, The Offspring, Green Day, The Beatles, Blind Melon, Creed, Vertical Horizon, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Go with that Ibanez that you like, or the RG2EX1 (something like that) or the RG321. If you like the way the guitar looks, you'll defiantly appreciate it a lot more.
I have an ART100 and love it. That's definitely a good choice. What is your budget? The guitars you have listed are ok, but I would encourage you to steer clear of the Squier Standard stuff. I own a Standard Tele from Squier, and its ok, but it was roughly put together.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
My budget is roughly 300-400 dollars. I could strech it to 350, 400 if the guitar is worth it.

Man that sucks about the Squier, it by far was my favorite, but I don't want to get a crappy guitar. Don't think I could save up for the Fender Strat either.
Honestly, if you could be patient and stretch your budget to around 350-400, you could probably find a good used Fender Mexican Strat.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
i would say look at ibanez stuff. i have a RG that plays better than my custom tele and better than my epi les paul custom. I would say look at a RG 2EX1 or a RG321. both are decently priced and both should play fairly well.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by GKDAIR
I could stretch it but 400 would be the max. I'd really prefer new as well. How's the Les Paul Standard Plain Top?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar-100237216-i1320937.gc

Its actually pretty sweet. Wont be as bright as a strat, really warm well rounded tone. The necks are not for everyone. I mean fat thickness and thin string spacing.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Feb 2, 2012,
If you like the SG style, you should pass on the G-310 and get the Faded G-400. It's a lot better quality than the 310 for $50 more.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Vintage-G-400-Electric-Guitar-102488731-i1150101.gc

If you liked the strat style, get the classic vibe. It is a HUGE improvement over the standard.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Stratocaster--50s-Electric-Guitar-105174635-i1400992.gc

And finally if you liked the Ibanez style get the RG321. It has a very fast neck, 24 frets, and relatively high output pickups (not really that high output but compared to guitars of this price range)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar-106210735-i1559795.gc
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Ok I think i'm going to settle on the classic vibe strats. What Amps do you guys recommened.

Since im paying more for the guitar I don't want to pay as much on the amp as I orignally wanted to. I originally wanted the Fender Mustang II, but will the Fender Mustang I suffice? Or any other amps you recommend a novice?
we have relatively similar tastes in music so ill throw in my two cents - my first electric was an ibanez RG series and for all intents and purposes it served me well. i started to get really into rhcp and ended up upgrading to an american strat and obviously thats a good guitar. Ive played squiers and i actually dont think they are too bad to play at all (though ive never really hooked one up to an amp so i have no idea how they translate there really). its hard to get a big thick soundgarden tone on a strat type guitar so the squier will leave you a little short there but at this point youre not going to match it exactly anyway. throwing some distortion on that will get you a pretty gritty tone to do nirvana but it wont quite be as heavy. ive never played an epiphone so i wont really comment there but i imagine that would yield a heavier sound. the GRG you listed is like the RG i had but it seems to me that the quality drop off there for ibanez is really huge. the RG seems like a great guitar for its price (its a little more expensive than the GRG) but anything below that im not sure youre quite getting the proper worth in return. if youre leaning towards the ibanez or the squier than i would probably heed the advice above and maybe hold out for a mexican strat for not too much more (around the price of an inbanez RG too). i played a few of those before getting my strat and they are pretty close to the real thing, especially when youre not a complete aficionado. so yeah maybe wait to bump yourself up to the next tier and really get your moneys worth with something that will last. if thats not an option or if youre just not that serious than i think the squier, grg, or epiphone would all be decent options to pick from whichever you like best. if youre looking for an amp too i have to recommend the roland cube series. i got really lucky when i was picking out my first stuff because i didnt know what i was doing but several years later ive really come to appreciate the quality of the stuff i got even though it was lower budget gear. anyway happy hunting, hope this helps

edit: looks like some stuff was added while i was typing this but ill add just above everything, trust your feel. get them all in your hands and forget all the names and prices for a second and just figure out which one really suits you and your playing the best. there's no substitute for that
Last edited by jmako at Feb 2, 2012,
I use a Fender Mustang I as a practice amp. Fits my purposes superbly, can reach pretty high volumes as well as sounding great at low ones. If you get it, you definitely won't be disappointed. However, you should also look into the Peavey Vypyr 15 and the Roland Cube as those are the three best amps in this price range imo.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by BlindNematode
I use a Fender Mustang I as a practice amp. Fits my purposes superbly, can reach pretty high volumes as well as sounding great at low ones. If you get it, you definitely won't be disappointed. However, you should also look into the Peavey Vypyr 15 and the Roland Cube as those are the three best amps in this price range imo.

+1 but try the vox vt20 too. Sweet cleans and great versatility.
What you need, my friend, is the Squier Classic Vibe series. They're awesome quality instruments (for the price) and the tone is pretty fantastic. I have yet to read a bad review of one. They usually run about $350.
again, as somebody noted, you have enough money for a used Fender MIM standard. you can find an MIM for $250ish quite regularly on CL or something like that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Squier Classic Vibe '50s strats are the best deal out there, imo.

I would take one over a Fender MIM Standard 10 times out of 10.

None of the guitars in that price range are spectacular. I'd never buy any of the ones that you listed, but there have been several times that I have sat down at a guitar store with a Classic Vibe and come very close to biting the bullet and pulling out my wallet.
Quote by GKDAIR
My budget is roughly 300-400 dollars. I could strech it to 350, 400 if the guitar is worth it.

Man that sucks about the Squier, it by far was my favorite, but I don't want to get a crappy guitar. Don't think I could save up for the Fender Strat either.

What about going second hand? Get higher quality for same price? Instead of epi les paul get a gibson studio and so on?
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
For an amp you could get a Peavy Vyper or maybe a Pignose.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
To be honest with you I don't think the guitars you listed are any good at all. Low range Squiers, Epiphone even Ibanez are just mostly garbages. There are many other brands with better value for the money out there. Check out other brands like Agile, Jackson, Hagstrom, Michael Kelly, Dillion. They all have something for you at this price range.

For amp I recommend either Peavey Vyper, Vox Valvetronix or why not a modelling FX unit like Vox Tonelab or Line 6 POD.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by GKDAIR

im selling a Mexi strat for 275 currently lol to bad you dont live near me. But definitely steer clear of the squire. If your not picky then try a used section at Guitar Center or Used online section....not a bad place to start.
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling." - Anonymous