Page 1 of 2
So when i get paid this tuesday i'll have around 1.6-1.7grand and i'm in massive need of an upgrade from my current Vox VT30.

After contemplating over the blackstar ht-5 mini stack and the orange dark terror i really wanna purchase the dark terror, but i haven't infact tried it out, and there's no nearby guitar shops in western australia that sell the dark terror.

So what are others opinions on purchasing amps without even trying them?

The link to what i'm thinking of purchasing is below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170772658694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That combined with the Orange PPC212 2X12 closed back cab

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170711682290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

PS: I play almost exclusively metal.

So GG&A. Do discuss.

Also, would it be worth getting a tube screamer with it?

Infact

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAd?AdId=328947050&MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.REPLY_TO_AD_SENT&mpname=LocClass-R2S&mpuid=68829115%3B328947050%3B66987880%3B3008656%3B9298%3B18409%3B%3B%3B%3B1328199267916&secev=AQAAATU7XFAAAM0AAAACACIxMzUzZWQ4NzY0Yy5hMjBiMjc1LjJhODAzLmZmZmJjMmVlAAAAABObVWoBAAAABQAAAACDIVYAktEaMTZSZrtK7%2FD78aOFFTznrBs*

Looks extremely tempting. When i'm paid on Tuesday i'll be up to around 2.5grand or so. I owe my dad $850 but i'm sure he can wait a bit longer for it under these circumstances.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 2, 2012,
I'd say go for it, just keep in mind that even though the Dark Terror is a higher gain amplifier, it still has the more vintage voicing. It has a lot more to the higher mid-end range of frequencies. So just be aware of what your getting.
The Dark Terror really surprised me in person. After hearing Youtube demos I wasn't too impressed, then tried one for my self and oh man. It has a ridiculous amount of gain right it in. Only cons for me though is that it's single channel, the shape control only sounds good in one or two spots. Other than that, solid piece of kit.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I think the dark terror with a orange 212 would be pretty sweet. Yes i would recommend getting a OD to boost the amp a little if your going to play metal. I would recommend any MXR od or a Maxon tubescreamer.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
I think the dark terror with a orange 212 would be pretty sweet. Yes i would recommend getting a OD to boost the amp a little if your going to play metal. I would recommend any MXR od or a Maxon tubescreamer.

No need for a boost, has enough gain in it. Unless you wanna go from tight crunchy rhythm to a boosted lead tone.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Don't rush to buy something just because you have the money - if you can, take a look around at what's available new and used at local shops. You might find something you love.
If you can hold out for a while though, Laney have the new Ironheart amps coming to Australia for a little under your budget. I played one recently and it's killer. Built in attenuation for home, plenty of tone shaping controls. Would require a boost for lead playing though.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
If you can hold out for a while though, Laney have the new Ironheart amps coming to Australia for a little under your budget. I played one recently and it's killer. Built in attenuation for home, plenty of tone shaping controls. Would require a boost for lead playing though.

Well my friend suggested i go for a low watt amp for playing at home, because i do infact only play at home and don't intend to play live or anything any time soon. I would think a 60watt laney wouldn't reach its full potential in a home setting.
Quote by vayne92
Well my friend suggested i go for a low watt amp for playing at home, because i do infact only play at home and don't intend to play live or anything any time soon. I would think a 60watt laney wouldn't reach its full potential in a home setting.

That's why it has the in built attenuator. It's going to be a lot more versatile than a DT. I got some super quiet tones out of it and sounded really good.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
That's why it has the in built attenuator. It's going to be a lot more versatile than a DT. I got some super quiet tones out of it and sounded really good.

I've never used anything with an attenuator before. Will that not take away from its real potential tone wise? The same way that a drop tune pedal wont sound nearly as authentic as properly drop tuning. I know that's completely unrelated though haha
Quote by vayne92
I've never used anything with an attenuator before. Will that not take away from its real potential tone wise?

Not at all. Sounds really good at low levels.

But I mean, if you really had your heart set on a DT they're still great. It's your call, unfortunately they're not around for a while I don't think.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I'd generally advise against buying an amp you can't try out with your existing (or soon to be owned) gear.
Go to local stores and see what's available - take your guitar and try stuff out - there may be something there that does exactly what you want and be in your price range.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
I'd generally advise against buying an amp you can't try out with your existing (or soon to be owned) gear.
Go to local stores and see what's available - take your guitar and try stuff out - there may be something there that does exactly what you want and be in your price range.

I think i'll take your advice. I've somehow prioritized the dark terror over the blackstar ht5 without even trying either. I might go to my local guitar store very soon and try out the ht-5. Maybe i'll love it and can save myself $800 and put that towards something else.
Well...just saying that having a 1.6k budget and buying a HT5 isn't exactly logical.

But I suppose to each their own.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Well...just saying that having a 1.6k budget and buying a HT5 isn't exactly logical.

But I suppose to each their own.

True, but i don't necessarily have to spend all the money i have. If the ht-5 isn't for me i could always ask good ol Greg at the guitar shop his opinion on what i should do because he's the only guy who wont just try and take my money. And if i haven't found an amp for me i could continue saving and maybe start looking at some mesa rectifiers a few weeks in the future lolol
Which guitar shops are you looking at? (I'm from Perth)

I wouldn't get the HT5. For your budget, look at the HT60. Much better and more versatile amp than the HT5. Kosmic has a few of them in stock.

The Orange TH30 is also an awesome amp, has a stupid amount of gain on tap, and they come in under your budget too.

There's a guy on perthbands with a Mesa Mk III for sale for 1500.

If you can save an extra $300, there's an ENGL Powerball for sale there as well.

There's also a guy selling a Carvin V3 stack for $1700.
I had a TH30C - versatile thing, too. Had a few problems initially but was pretty much an all-rounder and would handle anything I wanted to play, even jamming with a metal band a couple of times for shits and giggles.
Nice that it can be flicked down to approximately 7w too.

I had it fixed and sold it. Apparently there have been no issues with it since I got rid of it. I just didn't need it anymore.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Dan_5893
Which guitar shops are you looking at? (I'm from Perth)

I wouldn't get the HT5. For your budget, look at the HT60. Much better and more versatile amp than the HT5. Kosmic has a few of them in stock.

The Orange TH30 is also an awesome amp, has a stupid amount of gain on tap, and they come in under your budget too.

There's a guy on perthbands with a Mesa Mk III for sale for 1500.

If you can save an extra $300, there's an ENGL Powerball for sale there as well.

There's also a guy selling a Carvin V3 stack for $1700.

Get that Mesa. At that price, grab the MkIII. Don't be a dumbass, go buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Looks like it's in good nick too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by vayne92
i do infact only play at home and don't intend to play live or anything any time soon.

^ This is important!

Its very easy to get dazzled by the beauty and power of a dirty great big amp, but dont lose sight of what you really want it to do (aside from intimidate other guitarists).

The HT5 and DT are two totally different options - There is no point buying a powerful tube amp to use exclusively at low bed room levels, a 5w will be WAY more than enough volume wise (features are another issue).

You may be better off looking at a smaller tube amp for home practice, and then considering something with a bit more grunt eg. 60w, if and when you need that power - I would save your money at this time and put it towards something that you will be able to fully take advantage of. As i mentioned in another post earlier today, the Laney Cub series are fantastic for home use and i believe they are available in Australia.

Edit: Just read you play mostly metal, the Cub would certainly need something extra to get drive you want - perhaps not that suitable (although you would have a tonne of cash left in your budget to fund that).
Last edited by zero at Feb 2, 2012,
If you ask me, small amps (5w or so) can't metal. Ever. Unless it's custom (Baron Snot Watt).

Get the Mark III. Just because an amp is 50w or 100w doesn't mean it's going to sound worse at the same volume than an amp that's 5w.

Laney Cub will not sound good for metal. It's a vintage-voiced amp if I'm not mistaken, which means you'll end up sounding more like Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' than Killswitch Engage or Parkway Drive or Death or Burzum or whatever you're hoping to attain.

You're never going to be able to crank a 5w amp at home without it getting unbearably loud, anyway. Tube amps are loud, it's just a fact of life.

The Dark Terror is still worth considering but the Mark III is a truly magnificent amp, and will hold its value better than the DT.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Laney Cub will not sound good for metal. It's a vintage-voiced amp if I'm not mistaken, which means you'll end up sounding more like Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' than Killswitch Engage or Parkway Drive or Death or Burzum or whatever you're hoping to attain.

You're absolutely right, I missed the bit about playing only metal. I think i need new glasses...
It's not even an argument even if only playing at home. The Mark III is a brilliant amp that will do anything anywhere better than every other amp mentioned. It's an amp that you could keep for the rest of your life and it will do anything you want under any circumstances. It so far outclasses everything else that it isn't funny. It's several classes ahead of the rest. It's a classic amp, the rest are wannabes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't give a shit about cranking loud amps, **** neighbours. I do what makes me happy.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
But a Mk3 will sound better turned down as well. This is Rolls Royce vs Vauxhaul we are talking about. There's nothing a Dark Terror can do that the Mk3 won't do 50x better. And as much as I love Cubs - compared to a friggin MkIII??
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 2, 2012,
This is coming from lack of experience with Mesa.

If they sound good turned down, why the hell haven't you bought it yet?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Cathbard
It's not even an argument even if only playing at home. The Mark III is a brilliant amp that will do anything anywhere better than every other amp mentioned. It's an amp that you could keep for the rest of your life and it will do anything you want under any circumstances. It so far outclasses everything else that it isn't funny. It's several classes ahead of the rest. It's a classic amp, the rest are wannabes.

when cath speaks so directly about something, do yourself a favor and get off your ass and go get it.

i love all of the mark amps i have heard a few MK3's, tons of MK4's and the new MK5. a mark would be a good purchase. probably would also hold value incredibly well compared lot of other amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Like I need more amps? I can get a real saturated Mesa type sound out of channel 3 of my beloved Abbey. I played with a guy with a MkIII. They are an awesome amp. One of the classics. If you can't have a MkIIC you have a MkIII.
But you gotta admit they in a totally separate class to a DT. One is a lunchbox amp made in China and the other is a classic American built holy grail amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've often wondered about your Abbey Cath.

It has me curious George.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I have an Ebay search set to email me if any others come up for sale. If one does I'll give you a yell. They were made down in Seaford, Vic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have an Ebay search set to email me if any others come up for sale. If one does I'll give you a yell. They were made down in Seaford, Vic.

Nah I'm all good for amps, got Ben's Matamp on it's way to me in 2 weeks.

Just curious though, what sort of price do they go for?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Cathbard
Like I need more amps? I can get a real saturated Mesa type sound out of channel 3 of my beloved Abbey. I played with a guy with a MkIII. They are an awesome amp. One of the classics. If you can't have a MkIIC you have a MkIII.
But you gotta admit they in a totally separate class to a DT. One is a lunchbox amp made in China and the other is a classic American built holy grail amp.

everybody does. i think i am near 10 as far as tube amps go, i am still getting another. i was going to wait to spend some cash as mentioned until that prestige i bought earlier this week/last week dontrememberwhen.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
You never see them. I got mine crazy cheap a long time ago, like $200 or something silly. I was just lucky. I've never seen one come up on Ebay. They must be out there but nobody seems to want to part with them, understandably. They are well built and good quality components, he even wound his own transformers, they can't all be broken. You'd have to be chucking it out of a moving truck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You never see them. I got mine crazy cheap a long time ago, like $200 or something silly. I was just lucky. I've never seen one come up on Ebay. They must be out there but nobody seems to want to part with them, understandably. They are well built and good quality components, he even wound his own transformers, they can't all be broken. You'd have to be chucking it out of a moving truck.

Shit, well if they're that cheap (if someone sells it for that much) give us a buzz
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Well you never know. You could get lucky. The guy I bought mine off obviously didn't know what he had. To him it was just some weird old amp he'd never heard of. I drove for an hour to get to it as soon as i saw it in the trading post. I knew exactly what I was looking at. Of course I pretended I didn't You know the golden rule. If you are buying something, it's crap and you don't want it.

Once the money had changed hands I told him that I'd been looking for one for years. Couldn't believe my luck.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
everybody does. i think i am near 10 as far as tube amps go, i am still getting another. i was going to wait to spend some cash as mentioned until that prestige i bought earlier this week/last week dontrememberwhen.
Well, having said that, I do have a JTM45 build slowly progressing. I'mg going to have to build a bigger room. It's a worry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well you never know. You could get lucky. The guy I bought mine off obviously didn't know what he had. To him it was just some weird old amp he'd never heard of. I drove for an hour to get to it as soon as i saw it in the trading post. I knew exactly what I was looking at. Of course I pretended I didn't You know the golden rule. If you are buying something, it's crap and you don't want it.

Once the money had changed hands I told him that I'd been looking for one for years. Couldn't believe my luck.

Well, having said that, I do have a JTM45 build slowly progressing. I'mg going to have to build a bigger room. It's a worry.

my portion of the 7000 sqare feet are filling fast... not to mention the garage.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The little bit of profit I make on the cookie tin amps I am using to buy parts for the JTM45. So it's a slow process. The transformers should arrive soon along with an order for the next cookie tin.
I don't need another amp. It's an exercise in seeing how close I can get to a Gary Moore tone with a single box. Long term I'll have to build a 4x12 as well. It's just a game. Got a target, let's see how close I can get to hitting it, no rush.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My opinion on buying without trying:

Look up demos on Youtube. Not just one, but many different ones, from the pros like PGS and Guitar World to the 14yo in his bedroom. If you like the tones that you are hearing through their crappy camera mics, chances are you will like the tones you get from the amp in real life. I've never heard of a cheap microphone making an amp sound better than in person.

Also, don't let wattage rule your life. Don't worry about not being able to use an amp to its "Full Potiental". Buy whatever gives you the perfect sound at the volume you typically play at. I have a Quad Core CPU in my desktop PC, am I doing complex mathematical calculations for the military? No.
Page 1 of 2