I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 USA-made SVT Classic for a pretty good price. However, I'm told that the SVT CL has a number of issues. I couldn't really find many complaints about it when reading reviews online and was wondering whether anyone on the bass forum had any experience with it and any advice about whether I should buy it or not.
The particular CL you're buying or just the CL in general? A USA made Ampeg should be fine. 99% of the horror stories come from the later, Asian-made models.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
One of my friends is a gear wizard and works at a local music store. I actually gave him the info on the amp I'm thinking of buying (the seller's name and such), and it appears that it's been in for repair not very long ago.
He tells me that the USA models are just as unreliable, and that they seem them come in for repair all the time. I'd just like some feedback from people who have actually owned the amp (USA or not, but USA is obviously most relevant) to confirm or deny this supposed lack of reliability.
If you are worried, there are other tube options in that price range new and used.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The only bad things I hear about the SVT's is that they are heavy as eff, alot of people trade them in for lighter amps.

Massive trannys, massive glass, massive heads. Followed by the usual 8x10, your looking at one morbidly obese setup.
I used to use an SVT VR a couple years back. Not the same, but an all-tube US-made Ampeg head no less (bought used as well). Never had a problem with it, and I don't think I've ever heard other Ampeg users say anything bad about the CL or VR series as a whole.

They are heavy as all **** though, so if you have a bad back you might have some trouble.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
As stated above they are heavy as **** but they also have a distinctive voicing.

It's not the most flexible amp out there.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tostitos
I used to use an SVT VR a couple years back. Not the same, but an all-tube US-made Ampeg head no less (bought used as well). Never had a problem with it, and I don't think I've ever heard other Ampeg users say anything bad about the CL or VR series as a whole.

They are heavy as all **** though, so if you have a bad back you might have some trouble.

I thought the SVT VR (Vintage Reissue) was made in Vietnam? The MiA version was/is called the SVT AV (American Vintage), which was more-or-less an SVT CL with the 70's style grey aesthetics.

I've had enough dealings with tube amps. I really don't ever see myself going back to them, aside from a small-wattage dedicated recording amp.

I'm not a fan of SVTs in general, but i do prefer the VR to the CL/AV.

Make sure you like "That Ampeg SVT tone", because that's what you're gonna get.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win

Make sure you like "That Ampeg SVT tone", because that's what you're gonna get.

I absolutely adore the SVT tone. I've actually settled on a solid state SVT 350. I've tried both it and the Classic, and while the Classic obviously does have the more desirable tube sound, the 350 sounds good enough that, combined with the fact that I don't need to worry about changing tubes, have a warranty on it, and only have to pay $500 for it in the first place, I'd much prefer it over the Classic.
Quote by Din of Win
I thought the SVT VR (Vintage Reissue) was made in Vietnam? The MiA version was/is called the SVT AV (American Vintage), which was more-or-less an SVT CL with the 70's style grey aesthetics.

They did make VRs in the US, before the production shift to Vietnam in 2007. Currently the only MIA SVT is the Heritage SVT-CL.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
They did make VRs in the US, before the production shift to Vietnam in 2007. Currently the only MIA SVT is the Heritage SVT-CL.

Gotcha!

I THOUGHT there were MIA VRs... i've just never seen one.

Were you ever able to A-B the MIA to an MIV?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I haven't A/B'd an MIA and MIV VR, most shops in my area only carry new CLs on hand. I've heard of fit and finish issues on some MIV's (particularly on the first year or so's production, new factory and all), but that there's little difference in sound.

I've played a few new CL's that weren't bad. I can't attest to their long-term reliability or anything, but at least they didn't sound like complete ass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'd love an SVT CL and most of the negatives I'm aware of are mostly online. I've had the SVT-3Pro, it was bullet-proof. I now have a Traynor YBA200 only because I wanted a brighter tone and less weight. If the price is right, get it and have it checked out, re-tubed, etc.