hey guys so Ill be redoing my rig and Ive pretty much nailed my choice down to 2 choices. I like both alot but cant definitly decide between the two, justt looking for advice.

1) axe fx standard, JBL PRX612M, Midi controller, rack case. (and down the line upgrading to an axe fx II)

2) Meas Mark V, most likely combo. aqnd maybe updating the pedal board a bit. (probably a bit more expensive too)

Right now Im mainly a bedroom metal guy (just left my old band), but lately been branching out into things like country, blues and jazz so need practicality and versatility. going to be joining other bands and going to University too so space matter too.

Im not asking which is better just which seems mire practical and makes the most sense.
get yourself a used ultra, much more capable than the standard without too much of a price difference if you shop smart.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
since you're a bedroom kinda guy, id go with the axe fx. it sounds amazing without having to crank it, you can download new patches, DI, etc. with it. in my opinion, the mesa would just be more of a hassle. you've got to deal with tubes, the loudness, among other things. plus if you want to record with your mesa, you'll have to mic it, and that's more money, etc. etc.
i have mixed feelings. if you are good at dialing amp in, i cannot imagine what the MK5 cant do, in comparison to every other amps i have played. you can get country, blues, metal, even some jazzy tone.

as far as AXE, i have not played it, but the clips that are circulating are realistically what would go out of the speakers? am i correct? i could be wrong. if i am thinking correctly if ran through a FRFR amp/monitor whether it be here through your FRFR speakers in my studio monitors or headphones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If your plan is to reduce space without sacrificing flexibility or reducing noise level in a Uni dorm, then another less expensive option to the above would be;
Pod HD Pro + Foot-Controller>Tech 21 Power Engine 60
or Pod HD500>Tech 21 PE60

Both of the above will safe space & be less expensive, you could replace the stock 70/80 speaker in there with a full range speaker if you feel its necessary & like the cab sims on the Pod or you could replace it with a high quality Celestion. I'm not sure if the Pod allows Cat5 type cable for connecting a floor controller, if it does then the digitech Control 2 is also a very good option for it. A keyboard amp is also an alternative, but the good ones cost from above $700, I mean the ones that can cut through a mix which contain proper beastly guitar amps & sound good while cutting through as well.

I would rather take something cheaper yet good sounding to a Uni rather than risk some moron damaging/stealing(yes it happens!) my expensive gear when I'm away attending classes or something. But between the Axe & Mk-V, I'd take the Axe for recording purposes only, it's great for that purpose.
Quote by Hail
get yourself a used ultra, much more capable than the standard without too much of a price difference if you shop smart.

Oi Hail you have an Axe Fx ?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Get an ultra, not a standard. Lots more power and flexibility.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Well ive been doing reasearch and the standard would save me 500-700$ and all id really gain is a looper, I know i honetly wouldnt use all of the ultras extra stuff so the standard is fine till id get the II. But on the other hand id br buying it blind, then spending many hours learning to dial the thing.

The mark v is nice on the hand because its extremly vesatile and i wouldnt need much more besdies it. But its a real amp so i dont get the benefits of easy recording and dead silent volumes. But its also alot easier to use in a live setting probably. I dont mind the wieght of the combo but the floorspace taken up matters.

Also ill be in uni yea but not in a dorm, me and my friends are renting a house down the street from the uni and were all musicians so itll e a little safer than leaving this stuff in dorms
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by Seanthesheep
ill be in uni yea but not in a dorm, me and my friends are renting a house down the street from the uni and were all musicians so itll e a little safer than leaving this stuff in dorms

As I recall from my Uni days, student houses were prime targets for robbery because there's a high chance it'd be unoccupied with the students usually being drunk at the bars.

Something you may wanna consider.

Personally, I'd save the money and get something like a used Pod HDto tide you over till you graduate.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
My mark IV has a silent line out for recording... I'm sure the V has the same thing. Just pull the volume knob out, and it cuts the speaker signal, and you have a dead silent recording rig. You could also run it into a DAW, then use headphones or small monitors to play quietly.

EDIT: Have you played the pod HD's? They sound pretty damn good, and are a hell of a lot cheaper than either option listed here. Also have line out / headphone options for recording
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 2, 2012,
I'm going to uni next year and I would never bring my Mark IV until I was in a gigging band, perhaps not even then. Way too valuable to me and too big/bulky/heavy for a dorm.
Quote by kutless999
Get an ultra, not a standard. Lots more power and flexibility.

Its barely 20% faster clock for clock. Which translates to about 10-15% more processing headroom. Its got a few extra features like a multi band compressor and a crossover, plus 4 cab blocks vs 2 etc, but its not a massive difference. An ultra is usually about 500 more than a standard used. Not worth it undless you absolutely need those extra features.

@TS: Both options will keep you happy till you go to your grave.
Quote by Slashiepie
Oi Hail you have an Axe Fx ?

i wish, it's definitely on my must-buy list. i helped my friend record on his ultra a few times and i've had to fight many urges to rob him, it's a ridiculous unit for the price. if you get lucky, you can get an ultra for $1400 in good condition off ebay.

by the time i have the funds for one + my custom computer and software, though, IIs will probably be down to that price
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
hmm if the mark V combos werent 2500$ plus taxes here Id probably go that way, but if I grab everythung for the right price, the axe fx route would actually be a cople hundread cheaper.

Ill see how much haggling I can do at my local store, I bought my PRS there so theres probably a deal to made somewhere
Quote by Seanthesheep
hmm if the mark V combos werent 2500$ plus taxes here Id probably go that way, but if I grab everythung for the right price, the axe fx route would actually be a cople hundread cheaper.

Ill see how much haggling I can do at my local store, I bought my PRS there so theres probably a deal to made somewhere

if this is a big purchase for you, don't get something you don't like as much over a couple of hundred dollars.

yea houses in range of universities are probably the most broken into. i know that happened to quite a few, close the windows don't leave anything of value in view.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Hail
i wish, it's definitely on my must-buy list. i helped my friend record on his ultra a few times and i've had to fight many urges to rob him, it's a ridiculous unit for the price. if you get lucky, you can get an ultra for $1400 in good condition off ebay.

by the time i have the funds for one + my custom computer and software, though, IIs will probably be down to that price

I have been salivating for one for the last 2 weeks,...
dilemma.. need a new computer , BKP pickups and an axe FX..
i have money for none XD

I didnt believe those videos at first using the violin preset.. i know no guitarist in person who has it, but if Vai and Petrucci like it, i instantly assume it must be excellent.

You endorse it too! so thats good enough for me
You are lucky over ther in the US, the used ones dont go for less than 1800 Eur here in Europe..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 3, 2012,