I'm lookin to buy a small tube amp soon (I've always had solid state) my budget is strictly 400$, and I want a new one. I play blues, classic rock, metal and progressive, it doesn't need to have a really high gain, I won't be playing metal as much. I've been looking at the Peavey Windsor Studio, is there anyone that has experience
With this amp? I've read on here that it's cleans aren't too great but I like gritty cleans anyway! Oh btw I have a MIM fender HSS.
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
I'm selling a Windsor Studio if you want one in new condition for cheaper

If you have any questions about the Peavey, I can answer them (as I have the amp sitting right next to me). However, have you looked at the Jet City JCA stack or combo? $350, so it would be below your budget, and they're fantastic amps.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I love the Windsor, great little amp that is pretty under-rated. It will do everything that you're looking for fairly well although it doesn't have a ton of gain. But it does take pedals pretty well, so there's always that.

I'm also a huge fan of the Jet City. It's got a little more gain that the Windsor and if memory serves, a little more headroom as well. Either one and you will do well. Definitely try them both out if possible.
Cleans on amps like that is all about good control over you guitar's volume knob. Windsor good. Experiment with different tubes and speakers. It's class A that will take just about any octal tube you can think of. Windsor Studio good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Does it sound good at low volumes? I know it has that power sponge feature, and thanks for the quick remarks! How much are you selling it for?
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
Look into a crate palomino v32

its an amazing amp and you can get it for about $300

i was in your situation exactly.

i bought the palomino and it perfect.
great cleans and plenty of distortion and has a great blues tone as well

oh and spring reverb
Quote by mikeYekim
Does it sound good at low volumes? I know it has that power sponge feature, and thanks for the quick remarks! How much are you selling it for?

Low volumes is one of the things I think it excels at. Between the preamp volume, master volume, and power sponge, you can get anything from clean to very dirty at apartment-safe volume levels.

I have it posted on the local Craigslist for $275 or best offer, but I haven't gotten any solid offers yet.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Jet City Amps JCA20 or JCA22, or the Bugera V22.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
id look into the peavey vypyr tube amps used. you cana ctually even get the 120s for like $400 used off guitarcenter.com, just search for used peavey vypyr. you can play all sorts of stuff on those.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Avoid the Bugera. The Palomino is meh. I still don't understand the love of the Vypers on here...Sounds like you're playing through a computer to me. Probably because you are... It's like Cathbard said, roll back your volume on the guitar and all is well. Try checking this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y1zeL2-vE
not everybodys has hundreds to spend on an amp though man. is you want something for different genres the vypyr is good for you i assume. ive never played the tube variety, just a suggestion for him to check out.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I have a friend who swears by his Vypyr. Absolutely loves it. It just sounds too digital to me. Even the tube version. They are very inexpensive, so I can see a lot of people just starting out getting one, plus it lets you taste a multitude of styles/sounds. But I think that after you've been playing for a little while and you know your sound, you'll realize that they are pretty harsh sounding.