Can someone help me figure out a custom string gauge set up for my 7 string tuned for ACGCFAD using .13s? Its hard to explain what I'm asking. Basically the D string would be .13, so what would the A, F, C, G, C, A string gauges be? Thanks so much.

This is what I came up with so far: D - .13 A - .17 F - .26 C - .36 G - .46 C - .56 A - .6x?
Last edited by Ranelbau at Feb 2, 2012,
What is the scale length of your 7-string? This has a noticeable effect on the tension your strings have to be. If you know/measure that I could probably guess a few of your strings because I'm hardcore.

Also, if you go to the D'Addario website, they have a string tension guide that might help you out a bit.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
24.75 scale length. Im thinking just a regular set of ernie ball 6 string baritone slinkys, but the low e string for is a .72 which seems pretty heavy for a Drop C string, and im still debating what gauge the low A string should be.
Okay, so I have a 24.75" 6 string here tuned to C standard with (to me) a great custom set on it.

The strings it uses are:
c- 12
G- 17
Eb- 22 (unwound)
Bb- 34
F- 46
C- 60

I would agree with you that .072 is too big for the C (6th) string. Personally, I would say something from .060 or .056 would work well for you depending on how tight you want it to be (the 56 would be a bit light for me) That .072 would probably work for your A (7th) string, or at least be pretty close.

I'll think about this and I'll have more for you in about 20 minutes!
Quote by Jesus
Quote by Ranelbau
24.75 scale length. Im thinking just a regular set of ernie ball 6 string baritone slinkys, but the low e string for is a .72 which seems pretty heavy for a Drop C string, and im still debating what gauge the low A string should be.

yeah,that's right. (Invalid img)
Here you go:
A(7th) .072 - .068
C(6th) .060 - .056
G(5th) .039
C(4th) .030 - .028 (wound)
F(3rd) .020 - .019 (plain) or .022 - .020 (wound)
A(2nd) .016 - .015 (plain)
D(1st) .012 - .011

I know you kind of asked for something different, based on if the D was a .013, but I came up with this looking at this tension chart I have.

I would say just compare things and try things out; you know what you're doing. I would recommend assembling your set with single strings though because there is more variety and it is cheaper to experiment with. You're really lucky if you get this perfect on the first attempt, and you'll probably waste about $10 before you get what you want with singles but it's worth it.

It helps if you know the tensions of your strings, so you can compare different strings and keep everything at about the same tension (strings in the middle being slightly tighter typically).

Hope that helps!
Quote by Jesus