im trying to decide what guitar i should purchase.i have a Marshall MG amp and my primary pedal is the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal.ive played all of these brands,but cant decide which to buy.any suggestions??
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
mg and.....a mt-2......

u sure its a guitar your looking for?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
mg and.....a mt-2......

u sure its a guitar your looking for?

yeah im working on getting new equipment,just trying to figure out what guitar to invest in.
Quote by psyarx
yeah im working on getting new equipment,just trying to figure out what guitar to invest in.

well what guitar do you have currently? cause new amps n stuff are more crucial for da toanz
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If you get a Dean Razorback or ML, I'm pretty sure some people here on EG will actually come to your house and kill you since you've got an MG and a Metal Zone(they're not too well-liked around here...though I thought the Metal Zone and Deans were great when I first started out). I kid, I kid, but...you might wanna review your amp at least. Get a Roland Cube or a Fender Mustang and you'll never look at that MT-2 again. Just a tip.

But I digress, you asked about guitars and not amps! I would go with the Jackson of the three, if we're talking lower-end models(JS/X Series Jacksons vs. Dean X/'79 Series vs. low-end Ibanez). I've heard absolute horror stories about low-end Deans, and while my MLX sounds just fine after I swapped the pickups for DiMarzios:

The neck profile's nigh-unusable to me now,
The port's come unsoldered three times in the 2 years I've had it,
The nut wasn't cut well at all and eventually broke on me,
The finish is already wearing off, AND last but not least
The guitar came with the switch not soldered properly so the bridge pickup hardly worked and the neck pickup didn't work at all

So...I wouldn't go with a Dean. Ibanez can make some nice stuff but the trems on the Gio RGs are not very good at all for tuning stability, and the necks are really love-'em-or-hate-'em, though if you've played them and didn't mind it should be fine. I've never EVER heard anything bad about a Jackson though.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Ok, why tell us what amp and pedal you have and not tell us what guitar you have?

Also, unless your guitar is really, REALLY terrible, I would highly recommend upgrading your amp first. The MG is pretty much the lowest of the low, and the MT-2 is pretty terrible as well.

But as a very broad generic answer to your question, personally I like Ibanez the most, then Jackson, then Dean.
Quote by VVolverin3

+1. We need to know this stuff before we can give you any advice at all. Without it, we're just totally shooting in the dark.

To the other guys - TS is looking for a guitar. I understand the amp bashing, but can we tone it down a little bit? No need to spend the entire first page of the post telling TS his gear is terrible. MG + MT-2 is a way better setup than a Spider or something anyhow.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I own a couple of Deans, and they rock. However, both were made when Dean Zelinzky was part of the company, and neither is under $500 nor is one of the "pointy" guitars.

If you want a Dean, don't buy one of the cheaper models, and as a rule of thumb, their more conventional body shapes give you more bang for the buck than the "pointy guitars currently so ultra-popular with metal heads. And if you can, find a used one from the Zelinzky eras.

If you can't do any of that, you're a lot better off with an Ibanez or Jackson.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Enix165

I've never EVER heard anything bad about a Jackson though.

My personal experience with Jackson guitars is pretty bad. I've owned 3 Jacksons and the Jackson licensed FRs are the worst I have ever came across. Having said that, couldn't really say a bad thing about the DKMGT I had.
Buy an Ibanez S420

Its a pretty nice guitar. Good trem and PUPs are not the best, but are very nice and you can change them later
Check out guitarfetish.com, they have some pretty sweet stuff, I'm going to order an "SG" pretty soon, and I haven't heard anything bad about Xavieres, either.
Quote by Enix165
If you get a Dean Razorback or ML, I'm pretty sure some people here on EG will actually come to your house and kill you..if we're talking lower-end models(JS/X Series Jacksons vs. Dean X/'79 Series vs. low-end Ibanez). I've heard absolute horror stories about low-end Deans, and while my MLX sounds just fine after I swapped the pickups for DiMarzios:

The neck profile's nigh-unusable to me now,
The port's come unsoldered three times in the 2 years I've had it,
The nut wasn't cut well at all and eventually broke on me,
The finish is already wearing off, AND last but not least
The guitar came with the switch not soldered properly so the bridge pickup hardly worked and the neck pickup didn't work at all

So...I wouldn't go with a Dean.

This is really really shoddy advice for a Dean. The Dean he is talking about was Made in China, Chinese Deans aren't worth the material they're made of and I would recommend avoiding these.

The Dean X Series and 79 Series are made in two different countries and are miles apart in quality. All of the 79 Series are underlooked guitars and are very solid, easily comparable to 1000-level LTDs in terms of construction quality. Dean makes a great guitar, at least anything above their MLX line. Avoid Chinese Deans, Koreans are the way to go unless you can afford their USA models. Look for a used AT3000 if you want a serious tone machine
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I own a couple of Deans, and they rock. However, both were made when Dean Zelinzky was part of the company, and neither is under $500 nor is one of the "pointy" guitars... if you can, find a used one from the Zelinzky eras.

Solid advice, minus the Zelinsky era crap. That only applies if you're talking about the USA lineup, since that's the only part of the company he had any control of during the 2000's when he came back to the company. I've only played one USA model since Mr. Zelinsky left the company and it was just as well built as the rest of the ones I've played.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Double post, shoot me.

We really need your budget so we can recommend gear for you. Lower level RGs are solid guitars (like the RG120 if you're really on a budget) and Jacksons are hit and miss in their budget lineup.

As for an amp, you can pick up a used Peavey Vypyr 15 for around $60 nowadays and it is considerably better than the MG you're playing through . You could probably sell your MG and Metal Zone pedal to get the Vypyr.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]