Page 1 of 2
Okay i'm probably going to get flamed a lot for this, but I seriously do NOT get how people like this band. I'm probably a bit biased because I don't really listen to that much metal or very much heavy music in general, but i mean seriously? Just because the guitarist is trem picking at 200 + bpm and the drummer is just smashing the snare doesn't make it good music, and the singer/vocalist, oh god. Keep in mind this is just my opinion so try not to take it too seriously, I'm just curious.
because it's loud, angry, and obnoxious. just like most of their fans.

i'm a huge metal head, and i can only stomach a few slayer songs. they just dont sit right with me either. what really puzzles me is why King gets all the recognition when Hanneman is 100x the guitarist King wishes he could be.
I'm guessing you've never actually sat through a Slayer album? If you've got 45 minutes to kill it'll be the best and you might actually take something from it and apply it to guitar playing.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards
I'm guessing you've never actually sat through a Slayer album? If you've got 45 minutes to kill it'll be the best and you might actually take something from it and apply it to guitar playing.

No I haven't, and i don't really intend to from what i have heard from them..
Hey hey, let's get back to basics here

Slayer = metal

If you don't like Slayer, you don't like metal.

and you probably hate freedom too
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
^ I guess your partially right about me not liking metal, I do find Metallica pretty enjoyable though.
Quote by op4blushift
Okay i'm probably going to get flamed a lot for this, but I seriously do NOT get how people like this band. I'm probably a bit biased because I don't really listen to that much metal or very much heavy music in general, but i mean seriously? Just because the guitarist is trem picking at 200 + bpm and the drummer is just smashing the snare doesn't make it good music, and the singer/vocalist, oh god. Keep in mind this is just my opinion so try not to take it too seriously, I'm just curious.

But that's the problem you see... you're making a judgement when you obviously know nothing of the band..... I'm not going to extol the virtues of Slayer when you have only listened to a small snippet of their back catalogue.... it's pointless and a waste of time.....

Also, music is subjective. Different horses for for different courses.

You dig?
[
Metallica are pretty accessible though. Slayer is not about melody or beauty or anything like that, it's about attitude and aggression. Kind of like hardcore punk but a bit more polished.
Nothing needs explaining. It is all just opinions.

Some people like them, some people don't. The same goes for literally every band out there - just because you don't like something that someone else does, it doesn't mean there has to be a reason other than each person's individual tastes.

The world would be extremely boring if we all enjoyed the same things.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Skuzzmo
But that's the problem you see... you're making a judgement when you obviously know nothing of the band..... I'm not going to extol the virtues of Slayer when you have only listened to a small snippet of their back catalogue.... it's pointless and a waste of time.....

Also, music is subjective. Different horses for for different courses.

You dig?

I agree totally and I'll just add my two cents

Taste is taste and styles are styles. If you don't like something and don't understand how anyone can like it then by definition you never will...reverse the situation with something you like and someone else not understanding what you like and being all judgemental about it.
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by The Wildchild
Hey hey, let's get back to basics here

Slayer = metal

If you don't like Slayer, you don't like metal.

and you probably hate freedom too

Ehh no, sorry.

Slayer =/= metal, Slayer = bad thrash metal with no proper melodic vocals and guitarsits who don't even know how to play a minor scale or play in the one key.
They just tremolo pick and play chromatics while adding in whammy squealies now and again to make them sound 'super fast thrash'

Secondly I like many styles of metal, thrash included, but I don't like slayer much at all, they're not unlistenable but I wouldn't listen to them by choice often.

Listen to proper old thrash like megadeth or newer thrash by say Machine Head, not slayer.
Alright then, I guess Slayer just isn't my cup of tea. Thanks for the responses guys, I'm also actually kinda surprised at how civil it's been as well considering what Slayer fans can be like..
Quote by LivinJoke84
Will this is all rather civil so far....

You were saying?

Look OP, you can take other peoples words for Slayer or you can sit through a record and make your own judgement. I highly suggest the later because as soon as someone posts, it all goes to shit. And Slayer is much more than "satanism i hate my mom lolz". I could explain it to you but see it's 5:30 AM. Do your own judgementating buddy.

I will however suggest that you listen to Behind the Crooked Cross or Bloodline, since they're apart from that whole Slayer-o-type.

EDIT: That's cool man, do your thing
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by ProgFripp74
Ehh no, sorry.

Slayer =/= metal, Slayer = bad thrash metal with no proper melodic vocals and guitarsits who don't even know how to play a minor scale or play in the one key.
They just tremolo pick and play chromatics while adding in whammy squealies now and again to make them sound 'super fast thrash'

You hate people who deviate from the norm? See this is how the Holocaust happened...

(and that's totally what the old-timey prudes told Wagner!)

Quote by ProgFripp74

Secondly I like many styles of metal, thrash included, but I don't like slayer much at all, they're not unlistenable but I wouldn't listen to them by choice often.

Listen to proper old thrash like megadeth or newer thrash by say Machine Head, not slayer.

Now you're suggesting inferior stuff? This is alarming...
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by op4blushift
Alright then, I guess Slayer just isn't my cup of tea. Thanks for the responses guys, I'm also actually kinda surprised at how civil it's been as well considering what Slayer fans can be like..

Don't assume that Slayer is representative of all metal, or even representative of all thrash metal. There are a lot of metal bands that sound nothing like Slayer, even in their genre.
Quote by op4blushift

I don't understand how anyone can listen to the overrated Radiohead either. I think they are terrible.
Quote by lookpizza
Explain Slayer: They suck.

so does your terrible blog full of awful music.
Quote by ooominhooo
I don't understand how anyone can listen to the overrated Radiohead either. I think they are terrible.

I used to have the same mindset as you, I thought that they were overrated and I didn't really get their music, but after a while it really grew on me and they're my favourite band right now. But then again, each to their own.
Quote by ooominhooo

OH SNAP SON.

Look out, we got some butthurt goin round.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Slayer are basically a pastiche of what Metal is. Why do you think the reference has wormed its way into the popular vernacular.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Insane drumming, sloppy but fast guitars, vocals generally dealing with death in some form or another. I rank them 3rd in the Big 4 in terms of who is best (behind Megadeth and Anthrax, respectively. Anthrax only gets the #2 spot because Worship Music was godly).
Quote by llanafreak44
Expect the hardcore forum to turn a civil discussion into hipster gayness.

Expect llana to bitch for no reason in particular.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by ProgFripp74
Ehh no, sorry.

OH GOOD FUCKING CHRIST..

Nearly spat out my drink.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Insane drumming, sloppy but fast guitars, vocals generally dealing with death in some form or another. I rank them 3rd in the Big 4 in terms of who is best (behind Megadeth and Anthrax, respectively. Anthrax only gets the #2 spot because Worship Music was godly).

I rank the big 4 at 9034285th place in the good music category.
Quote by BK202
You're welcome!

This thread is now about cute hipster boys

D'awwww he thinks he's people.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I rank the big 4 at 9034285th place in the good music category.

To each his own. Megadeth will always be in my top 5 favorite bands. Only reason Metallica isn't in my bottom 5 is because Ride The Lightning is an epic album
Nobody has posted this yet ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXFuv7B-4lY

I find Slayer lyrics retarded and flippin hilarious and I've never bothered to listen to an entire album but I've to admit sometimes I do enjoy playing some of their songs (mainly Raining Blood and South of Heaven).
Quote by nashawa
Expect llana to bitch for no reason in particular.

It's a very good reason. You're all complete cunts for no reason in particular reason. The kid just asked a question, some people answered his question, then out of no where HURR DURR psuedo intelligent posts trying to belittle the guy. What's ironic is that you literally didn't even answer the guys question. Oh, and inb4 claims of butthurt.
Quote by llanafreak44
It's a very good reason. You're all complete cunts for no reason in particular reason. The kid just asked a question, some people answered his question, then out of no where HURR DURR psuedo intelligent posts trying to belittle the guy. What's ironic is that you literally didn't even answer the guys question. Oh, and inb4 claims of butthurt.

Where did I belittle anyone other than the dude who attacked the blog I sort of don't really write for? He was equally out of line. Stop being such a spazz.

EDIT: I also belittled you.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by BK202
You're welcome!

This thread is now about cute hipster boys

Great shirt... only good thing about him
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by ooominhooo

Slayer fans don't like my blog?!? D:
I'm an asshole.
Page 1 of 2