I'm looking around at preamps at the moment. I've got about $700 to spend. Before I go rambling off the type of sound I'm looking for, I have a question; Would a decent preamp sound good through a decent PA system or would I be better off getting a pre-amp and a separate power amp?

That being asked...

I'm looking for everything from a general djent tone to a Children of Bodom style sound with decent cleans. Would there be anything that would do this in my price range? If that's not achievable in this price range, I'd rather have a djent tone with decent cleans. Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: I was specifically looking at this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/engl-tube-preamp-e-530/481526000000000

However, I've never heard it. I have heard good tones come from ENGLs, though. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: I currently own a Schecter Omen-8 with DiMarzio DiActivator 8s in it. I also own an Ibanez TS-9, an MXR 10-band EQ, and a Boss EH-2. Just thought I should throw that in.

EDIT 3: The reason I'm looking at pre-amps rather than full amplifiers is because I hope to eventually get a more unique tone by combining pre-amps and power amps. I was looking at the ENGL specifically because of the headphone output.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Feb 2, 2012,
Generally when I think of djent I think of axe fx. I think that modelers do the djent tone better than tube.
I don't know how much you can get them used for, around $1000 for the first gen ones used I think?

I've never used one, but I've heard good things about the digidesign eleven rack. It's another modeler, but a bit cheaper.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Generally when I think of djent I think of axe fx. I think that modelers do the djent tone better than tube.
I don't know how much you can get them used for, around $1000 for the first gen ones used I think?

I've never used one, but I've heard good things about the digidesign eleven rack. It's another modeler, but a bit cheaper.

Oh yes. I've definitely thought about Axe FX, but it's a little outside my price range and, frankly, I don't like to buy used. I suppose I could save some money. o_O

EDIT: Any other ideas, guys?
Last edited by The.new.guy at Feb 2, 2012,
I'm sure that the ENGL would suit your needs, although you can always check the Line6 POD HD Pro, from what I've heard it sounds very good. You'd just have to get a FR power amp and speakers or some Powered PA speakers/monitors for it.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
If you run that engl straight into the board it will be fuzzy. The cab simulation is meager at best, but that's what you really want, a cabinet simulator, otherwise it will be harsh and not real sounding at all.

You might be better off with a GSP1101, you can snag that with the Control 2 board right now for less than $550.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
The Engl is just fine for what you want, 4 band EQ gives tons of tone shaping on the dirty channel plus the added boost for when you need it although you might not need the boost as threes a shit ton of gain on tap. Plus the cleans aint so bad with a nice verb and delay on there.

I does however benefit massively from a decent power amp, I tried lots of different ways to amp it when I had mine a few years back, Marshall DSL power section,Mesa T-Verb power section, atomic reactor 18, straight to board, mesa simulclass, Marshall 50/50 and also the built in power amp and by far the best sounding were the mesa and Marshall power amps. The worst sounding was strait to board which was to be expected if I'm being honest.

As mentioned above it can get fizzy and in fact that was the main reason I put it up for sale, however via the simulclass power amp the fizz all but dissipated, sadly the mesa did not belong to me and the cost was just too much at the time.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Feb 2, 2012,