I think something may be up with my big muff. Even when it's off it emits a hum which stops if i touch my bare foot to the casing somewhere. I'm assuming it's a grounding problem, if so what can I do to fix it?
Go to a tech guy. Always. But I think, you need to load a true bypass, which wont cost more then 15 bucks.
A big muff is true bypass isn't it? what does loading true bypass mean? I have no comprehension of electronics, sorry if I sound dumb.
Quote by cemges
Go to a tech guy. Always. But I think, you need to load a true bypass, which wont cost more then 15 bucks.

This doesn't make any sense. Don't offer advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

It's definitely a grounding issue, I've had similar happen to me. Are you using a power supply? Try plugging it into a different outlet if so.
Quote by DaftHuman
A big muff is true bypass isn't it? what does loading true bypass mean? I have no comprehension of electronics, sorry if I sound dumb.

Yes it is. 'Loading true bypass' doesn't mean anything. That guys has less comprehension of electronics than you do.

I'd open it up and look for wires touching the casing. If its not that simple it gets tougher.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The grounding of the output jack has come loose, its still connected, but barely. Ill just have to strip it and solder it back in place
Quote by cemges

Are you just making shit up, or do you actually think you know what you're talking about? You don't "load" true bypass. It's not a firmware update. Something is either true bypass by design, or it's not. You can achieve true bypass of a non TB pedal by putting it in a switched loop, which completely cuts it from the signal path when you hit the switch, but it's a pain in the ass if you have several pedals.

And why would you recommend going to a tech "always"?? Why take it to a tech when you can pop it open and find a simple fix yourself?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by DaftHuman
The grounding of the output jack has come loose, its still connected, but barely. Ill just have to strip it and solder it back in place

Good man. Quite often faults are really obvious once you poke your nose inside them.
I've scored a lot of gear that way. Things that weren't worth the expense of fixing so they give them to me to "fix it if you can or strip it for parts". I open them up and see, "hmmm, that doesn't look right." 10 mins later, all fixed. Half my gear is like that. Cast offs that were easy to fix.
My ex's mother once told her, "never marry a tech if you want to own new things."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are you running it off of AC or battery? If AC, try running it with a fresh battery or another power supply - and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, then it's probably the power supply. If its doing it with a battery, try changing the battery or run it with AC.

If its doing the same thing on AC and Batt, then its most likely the pedal.
There is an off chance that if ur running AC, it could be the mains in your house (or wherever you are using it). But usually, if that's the case, you'd get a hum from your amp regardless.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 3, 2012,
I've been and checked again, and it's actually my guitar that's not grounded properly. My guitar is a lot harder to poke around inside of though :/ this will be interesting...
Recommended threads
haha PEEPS!
sasquatch ass
Last post:
by itsxsteves