Hi all,

I am struggling to find my next electric guitar - i have played a year and the first guitar i bought is really poor quality - a noname 100$ guitar... I already have a good Martin Acoustic...but I need something better to go with my Fender Mustang I amp.

I play many different genres but mostly AC/DC - therefore an SG is obviously my preferences.

However, I would be able to spend double as what an Epiphone G-400 cost. (Here in Denmark). But i simply cannot find any good alternatives.

The cheapest Left hand Gibson (60s Tribute) i can find cost 3 times as the G-400.

Can someone name some good alternatives to the Epi G-400 - or should i go with it (many say you get a lot of quality for the money with it).

Thanks!
You could always buy a G-400 and trick it out with better pickups and a vibrola tailpiece (If you want; I just think they look really cool :P). Maybe try to find a G-400 Custom? I've been looking for one for a while, but all I've seen were the cheaper G-310s.

If it feels and plays good, then all you really need are some good pickups and a good amp, and you should be all set (The G-400 is made of mahogany, if memory serves me right). It doesn't really matter if it's a 400$ or an 800$ guitar, as long as it feels comfortable and sounds great.
Some people use quotations,
Some people are just perverse,
Some people have ironic machinations,
But I'll just break into verse!
have you considered learning to play rightie? i'm a lefty and tried for a couple of years to play lefty but back when i first started (late 70s) lefty guitars were all but impossible to find. although there are more lefties available these days you still have few choices. just a thought.
Epi LP standard Lefty
Tokai
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd recommend saving up for the Gibson.

I used to own a G-400. It's not a very good guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well i have an epi 66' G-400 ri which really only needed a pu swap. At the shop it was only slightly more then the standard G-400 but already gig modded. I've also seen some of epi's pricier sg's (which are sweet btw but idk bout the price dif) but i'd have to agree with Vabolo and say if it feels right just go for it and don't look at the price tag. lol and for the lefty part you could always swap the nut and bridge on a righty if ur not too worried bout the price. seen quite a few in my town like that.
Quote by Vabolo
(The G-400 is made of mahogany, if memory serves me right).

Yes it is. And I love it.

Still need to change those freaking pups though.

To the TS, I do recommend the G-400, I've owned one for I think around 4-5 years now and it's never given me problems, it's a half decent guitar, she stays in tune and looks gorgeous under the sun/stagelights and I have never said "Boy do I regret purchasing this thing".
And yes. I've got her in cherry.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Feb 3, 2012,
Thanks everybody for your comments!

Quote by monwobobbo
have you considered learning to play righty?...

A few seconds yes...but it simply feels way too odd for me...really couldn't see how i would manage starting to play "right"

Quote by Vabolo
You could always buy a G-400 and trick it out with better pickups...

Quote by Offworld92
I'd recommend saving up for the Gibson.
I used to own a G-400. It's not a very good guitar.

Quote by icemansg
Well i have an epi 66' G-400 ri which really only needed a pu swap... for the lefty part you could always swap the nut and bridge on a righty if ur not too worried bout the price. seen quite a few in my town like that.

As for your other comments...here are the news...or status at this point:

I spoke to a manager at one of Copenhagens good Guitar shops. He will have an Epi G-400 (left) for me on Tuesday. When i get there I will obviously check it out. And also discuss alternatives in both other pickups (which I could always do later if needed), but also consider if it would make sense to convert a Gibson SG e.g. the Melody Maker or the SG Special Faded...that both would fit my price range. They are known for having a good workshop there, so that is an option. So Tuesday I will decide...but definitely SG.

At the moment I am leaning mostly towards the G-400 plain...and consider an upgrade of the PU's if i at some point will need it...
Quote by Vabolo
It doesn't really matter if it's a 400$ or an 800$ guitar, as long as it feels comfortable and sounds great.

By the way - thanks for pointing that out. This is so true, but can sometimes be forgotten surfing for gear....