Hey, UG

I've been playing acoustic for about 2 years now and electric for about 1 and a half and my main electric is a Squier Affinity Strat (S/S/S) (unsurprisingly). Recently I've been thinking about buying a MIM Strat but since I saw some poor reviews I wondered would it be better to just upgrade the shit out of my Squier? I am looking for a blues-rock dirty sound, and good cleans, so basically as versatile as possible without metal, since I don't play that genre that often.
Well, upgrading a squier is waste of money and time. Wait until you have enough money to buy a MIM standard strat. Then you can buy many things for that price, buy one, and modify the new one by the time. Or, save more money, wait longer, be patience and buy a better Japanese guitar, Jackson, Ibanez Prestige 1000 series, Japanese Fender, High-End Epiphones(although I don't recommend), or maybe an LTD 401 series guitar. But you say that you don't have time or money to afford this, then modify your guitar and buy some pedals to support it, but you know, I always prefer the original one. I mean, I want to buy a higher degree guitar instead of buying a lower one and modifying, if I have chance for a decision. But if your budget is low, go on with that, save money for 1 year.
I was in that boat for a long time. Honestly, I upgraded the hell out of my squier. All new hardware and electronics. If you sat in front of me and played my American and then played it I'd have trouble telling the difference through a clean amp. Put them in my hands though and it's night and day.
It's not a waste of money to upgrade a squier, unless you truly care about resale value. Even then a baseline Squier isn't worth anything to begin with and you could get your money back out of parts. I just don't think that way though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I think squier is not enough good to upgrade. Why? Cause the upgrades I'll make will cost 2-3x the guitar. And the money I give and the quality I reach aren't equal. That's why. I totally don't care about resell value. Once you buy a guitar, you may not sell it forever, if it's a nice guitar.
I upgraded my Squier and it sounds great. I would say if unplugged it has a good tone to it and no other problems with it {fret buzz, warped neck, ect} go ahead and upgrade it. It's probably routed for a humbucker in the bridge also.
I say, if you like the way it plays (neck shape, frets, etc) then it worth it to upgrade. I own a few nicer electrics (MIM Tele, an Agile AS-820) but my favorite electric is my spray painted yamaha eg-112 with filter-tron style pickups, go figure (although I would still say the fender and agile are nicer, just not as fun cause you can't beat the shit out of em and feel good)!
don't read reviews, try it out for yourself. just because someone hates it, doesn't mean you won't love it.
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
Quote by cemges
I think squier is not enough good to upgrade. Why? Cause the upgrades I'll make will cost 2-3x the guitar. And the money I give and the quality I reach aren't equal. That's why. I totally don't care about resell value. Once you buy a guitar, you may not sell it forever, if it's a nice guitar.

Then you're doing your upgrades wrong :p

Squier uses some pretty decent woods tbh, it's not as good as the US built guitars but it's not far from the import Fenders. The necks play nicely (even the affinity series) and are awesome if you give it a proper fret dressing job, most of the money saved for the Squier guitars is on the hardware.

Dress the frets properly (or have them done by a luthier), put a decent nut, bridge, a nice trem block if it's a strat, tuners (although even my stock affinity tele neck's tuners are 1:18 ratio and hold their tune awesomely) and pickups, redo the wiring, the pots and switch are cheap stock and you'll get a clearer sound with fresh components and I bet you would choose it over a Fender Standard, possibly the American Standard, although as I said, the wood quality isn't quite as good.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Poor reviews, about a MIM Fender? I'm guessing they were a metal head. The MIM fenders are great guitars, well worth the upgrade.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I'd go for a MIM Fender. For the price of new hardware and electronics you could probably pick up a used MIM. I've got a MIM Jazz Bass, and it's a great axe.
I pride myself on my humility.
I would go with the MIM Fender, I find the neck fits really nicely in my hand. Or if you want to save a little bit more you can go with the Fender Deluxe Roadhouse which is basically an upgraded Fender MIM (that I still prefer it over the Americans); it's a really great guitar. But if you're not happy with your squier I would just save up and go for a MIM, you won't regret it
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!