Hey guys so I just got a Les Paul and I put an EMG-60X in the neck and an EMG-81X in the bridge. However, even with high output active pickups, it is almost impossible to get a good pinch harmonic, it just comes out as a dead note. In comparison, my Eclipse, also EMG equipped, has pinch harmonics coming out the butt with minimal effort.

What affects pinch harmonics in terms of setup? I'm using the same strings, the string height is about the same and both are tuned to Drop C#. The Les Paul string tension does feel looser though, could that be it? I was really hoping to get this baby to squeal.
What's the scale length on the Eclipse? Might just need some fatter strings on the LP.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
putting 13's on should help with the loose strings also check different areas on the string to find the sweet spot and make sure you're actually doing them right
do you have the same problem on other guitars? play a different guitar and see if it still happens. im not trying to hate... im just saying..maybe you need to work on your technique. they're not the easiest thing in the world, especially when you first start. sounds like a sick setup you have over there
its true that on some guitars it is indeed easier to pull off, but if your having trouble on an lp then i think its a look at your technique. u just have to be dead on. i found this with my jackson and its really helped my technique a lot and i rarely run into this problem anymore
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I have the same issues with my LP. My "sweet spot" for low E and A is roughly in the middle of the pickups but it can vary for different notes and can be hard to hit just right. In comparison, pinchs are fairly easy on my Indie... go figure.
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
A set up means absolutely nothing, I've been able to pinch harmonic on an acoustic, your technique should be that spot on. You should practice more and really get the technique down.
It's entirely down to technique. Set up has no bearing on pinch harmonics. The only thing that can effect how hard it is to hit them is if you're playing on a scale length you're not used to.

If you're good at pinch harmonics you can get them ringing out on an unplugged electric, an acoustic and certainly any amplified electric guitar. Sharpen your technique.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Each guitar has different node points on the string where harmonics are just easier to produce, changing between my current guitars involves accommodations in my pinch harmonic technique, from pick placement to force exerted. Just keeping practicing and eventually you'll be able to produce them convincingly!
Not really recommended, but raising your bridge pickup a slight bit so it's closer to the strings will definitely help bring the harmonics out.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Try to find the "Sweet Spot" for Pinch Harmonics on ur LP.....Also Try changing strings.if that helps...
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
Quote by Acϵ♠
Not really recommended, but raising your bridge pickup a slight bit so it's closer to the strings will definitely help bring the harmonics out.
Actually, if anything this will make it harder. The output will be increase but you lose harmonic overtones. That means if you do hit one very cleanly it will seem a little louder, but if you fudge it even slightly then it's not going to come out at all other than as a muted, dead note. That's not a problem for people who already have the technique down perfectly but OP is clearly struggling to hit them cleanly, so this is not what they should do.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I can get these on my Tele. Try increasing your gain, and take a look at your technique. As your technique gets better, lower the gain.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame