Jackson Professional Fusion HH-$250
2 12%
Jackson MIJ Warrior (likely a WRXT)-$250
3 18%
LTD M 300FM-$300
12 71%
Voters: 17.
Page 1 of 6
Hello, I am looking at the three guitars in the poll and would like some opinion. I could buy either Jackson right now, yet would need to save another $50 i believe (should take only a couple weeks) for the M 300FM.

Guidelines should you want to suggest something else. Amp: Peavey Vypyr 30w
Budget: $300
Style: Classic thrash metal
Home or Gig: Home use for now, may gig later as I get more experience.
Preferences: 24 frets, Active pickups (will tolerate passives though), quality tremolo bridge
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 4, 2012,
try to find a used on either Craigs list, or another guitar. There are better ones out there cheaper then schecters
Well, I'm 14...and my mom doesnt trust craigslist or ebay...lol. Would the aformentioned RG570 do me fine? If not, can you please recommend another guitar?
Why don't you go on Ebay? Its your money, right?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Flux'D

Deffo that... LTD Deluxes are the shit.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by N1K156
Er-hem...my mom does not trust ebay stupid right?

Well its your money, you can do what you want with it.

My parents didn't want me to buy a Gibson but that didn't stop me.

And yes. LTD deluxes are decent guitars. I nearly bought one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I've had two LTD 1000 Deluxes (EC and obviously the MH) and they're pretty sweet guitars. I wouldn't be getting rid of this one if I didn't have major GAS for a Strat
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
i'd far rather have a 570 than a schecter hellraiser

depends on what you play of course, but i think it's a better guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Schecter Hellraisers drop in value the second you buy them. The thing is, they're great guitars- I own several myself.

I see them go on Craigslist all the time in the $350-$800 range depending on the age and condition.

It wouldn't hurt to pick one up. There are a lot of Schecter haters on here, which is interesting because I have yet to hear any of them make any quantifiable reasons why they hate Schecter- it's always "All EMGs sound the same" (interesting, seeing as how Schecter != EMG) and "too much abalone."
Quote by CV334
"too much abalone."

They're not wrong.

I just don't like Schecter's. They feel plastic-ey and you get the feeling that they're guitars designed for spoiled 15 year old kids.

I've played a Schecter Hellraiser, Blackjack V and the Syn Custom. The V looked and felt like a toy. The Hellraiser didn't play well and the Syn Custom... don't get me started.

They're stupidly overpriced over here too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by CV334

It wouldn't hurt to pick one up. There are a lot of Schecter haters on here, which is interesting because I have yet to hear any of them make any quantifiable reasons why they hate Schecter- it's always "All EMGs sound the same" (interesting, seeing as how Schecter != EMG) and "too much abalone."

bullshit

here in the UK a bog standard schecter can go for ~£900. sigs can go for over £1000.

that's crazy money for a decent, but unremarkable, MIK guitar. when equivalent quality MIKs from other brands (e.g. LTD, Washburn) are available for half, sometimes even a third, the price. or far better quality MIJs for less money. Heck you can get made in USA or Europe guitars for less.

i guess that doesn't count as a quantifiable reason
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
bullshit

here in the UK a bog standard schecter can go for ~£900. sigs can go for over £1000.

that's crazy money for a decent, but unremarkable, MIK guitar. when equivalent quality MIKs from other brands (e.g. LTD, Washburn) are available for half, sometimes even a third, the price. or far better quality MIJs for less money. Heck you can get made in USA or Europe guitars for less.

i guess that doesn't count as a quantifiable reason

Blame your government for that one. Price is quantifiable, but you totally missed the point.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
They're not wrong.

I just don't like Schecter's. They feel plastic-ey and you get the feeling that they're guitars designed for spoiled 15 year old kids.

I've played a Schecter Hellraiser, Blackjack V and the Syn Custom. The V looked and felt like a toy. The Hellraiser didn't play well and the Syn Custom... don't get me started.

They're stupidly overpriced over here too.

"They're not wrong." That's subjective - not quantifiable. Does a Martin OMC-Aura have too much abalone? It's a matter of preference and does not affect anything other than aesthetics.

"Feel" is also subjective. Playability due to measurable setup and build aspects is quantifiable though. (though, I personally don't really like the Syn models either)

I'm not bashing people who don't like Schecters- I respect their opinions, but do kinda chuckle when they insult people who do like Schecters. It's like saying "I don't like something because it sucks, and people that like it suck too." I'm just waiting to hear a true argument rather than opinions.

Engineers... Always looking for numbers... It's like when a sales guy uses ambiguous terms such as "forever" and "perfect" and "maintenance free." I ask for cold hard numbers because they don't lie.

I just get sick of getting bashed when I recommend Schecters to people looking for a mid-range guitar with a decent price.
Last edited by CV334 at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd far rather have a 570 than a schecter hellraiser

depends on what you play of course, but i think it's a better guitar.

I just worry about passive pickups...especially stock ones. Also, doesn't the 570 have a bolt on neck... the 1570 prestige does.
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 2, 2012,
Holy shit, if the place is selling a Hellraiser C-1 for $400 you should buy it, no question.

I got mine in Texas when the exchange rate was better (I live in the UK) and paid $850 for it which at the time equated to about £450, which is an absolute bargain.
It was sold YESTERDAY and i am PISSED. It felt so awesome! Read the ****ing OP dumbass.
Quote by CV334
Blame your government for that one. Price is quantifiable, but you totally missed the point.

That doesn't stop them from being overpriced.

Quote by CV334

"They're not wrong." That's subjective - not quantifiable. Does a Martin OMC-Aura have too much abalone? It's a matter of preference and does not affect anything other than aesthetics.

I'd rather have a better quality guitar for the money than one overdressed in ostentatious bling. But that's just me.

Quote by CV334
"Feel" is also subjective. Playability due to measurable setup and build aspects is quantifiable though. (though, I personally don't really like the Syn models either)

You're right. Feel is subjective. I just don't like how Schecters feel. Their necks are extremely sticky and the finishes on them are so thick, it seems to dampen the guitar's resonance.

Quote by CV334

I'm not bashing people who don't like Schecters- I respect their opinions, but do kinda chuckle when they insult people who do like Schecters. It's like saying "I don't like something because it sucks, and people that like it suck too." I'm just waiting to hear a true argument rather than opinions.

Guitars are a very subjective thing. That's just the nature of the beast.

Quote by CV334

Engineers... Always looking for numbers... It's like when a sales guy uses ambiguous terms such as "forever" and "perfect" and "maintenance free." I ask for cold hard numbers because they don't lie.

You're right, but what's that got to do with anything we're talking about?
Quote by CV334

I just get sick of getting bashed when I recommend Schecters to people looking for a mid-range guitar with a decent price.

But they're not decently priced for what they are over here. That's the problem. So what do you expect with people over here not liking them when there's better alternatives?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I'd rather have a better quality guitar for the money than one overdressed in ostentatious bling. But that's just me.

+1
Quote by N1K156
It was sold YESTERDAY and i am PISSED. It felt so awesome! Read the ****ing OP dumbass.

Calm down. To be honest your grammar isn't exactly perfect so you can't expect everyone to know what you mean even if they do read the whole post.
If you like the Hellraiser you'd love the feel of a MH-1000
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Not available at my Kirkland GC and my mom doesn't want to go far from home
I think the summary of the argument here is, if you live in the US, Schecters are a chance to grab a nice-ish guitar for relatively cheap if you buy one used. I got a mint C-7 Hellraiser and a hard case for $450 at a pawn shop. If you live outside the US, they seem overpriced for what they are, which I can agree with. As you can see by my username, i'm obviously a fan of Schecters, but I'm not going to bash someone for being a fan of say Ibanez or ESP/LTD. You should be able to simply agree to disagree. As for the Ibanez, if the trem and frets/neck are all in good working order, I would grab it. They're really nice MIJ guitars. The passives may or may not be to your liking, but I'm sure the people here would be more than happy to recommend you a set to get to replace them once you get some more money.

Just out of curiousity, what amp are you playing through TS?
Ibanez? What'chu talkin' bout Willis?

EDIT: I didn't see the mention of a 570
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by shecter guy
I think the summary of the argument here is, if you live in the US, Schecters are a chance to grab a nice-ish guitar for relatively cheap if you buy one used. I got a mint C-7 Hellraiser and a hard case for $450 at a pawn shop. If you live outside the US, they seem overpriced for what they are, which I can agree with. As you can see by my username, i'm obviously a fan of Schecters, but I'm not going to bash someone for being a fan of say Ibanez or ESP/LTD. You should be able to simply agree to disagree. As for the Ibanez, if the trem and frets/neck are all in good working order, I would grab it. They're really nice MIJ guitars. The passives may or may not be to your liking, but I'm sure the people here would be more than happy to recommend you a set to get to replace them once you get some more money.

Just out of curiousity, what amp are you playing through TS?

I will be playing through a Vypyr 30 (I am upgrading from an acoustic (parents thought that you have to learn on an acoustic )). How much would a pickup upgrade cost if I were to have a luthier do it (I most likely would (we don't have a soldering iron))?
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 2, 2012,
Depends really on the luthier. There's a shop near me that does it for $80, some people do it $20 a pickup, i do it for friends for a twenty sack haha. Haven't played a vypyr 30, but I have the 75 watt version and I've never had a problem playing heavy music with passives. I mainly use the red recto channel though. Honestly, you're probably better off getting what you need to do it yourself, learn from people here and youtube videos to get a grasp on how to do it. Much cheaper in the long run and plus it's always fun learning a new skill. Especially if you happen to have guitarist friends that can't do anything with wiring.
I picture the total awk moment when I tell my parents I need a soldering iron
The rg570 was sold, so I'm lost...I edited the OP to explain more clearly
BTW: look at guitar center's used website, use 98033 for zip code and look at results in kirkland, set max price to $400. Just making things clear-er.
Quote by CV334

how did i miss the point?

how is it the government's fault if similar guitars made in the same place are less money? if it were tariffs or sales tax causing the problem, then all guitars made in the same place would be overpriced.

again, i call BS.

Quote by N1K156

I just worry about passive pickups...especially stock ones. Also, doesn't the 570 have a bolt on neck... the 1570 prestige does.

yeah it should be fine for that. heck i'd rather have that than a schecter style of guitar for thrash.

bolt-on done well is great. nothing wrong with a bolt-on at all.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

alking about?

But they're not decently priced for what they are over here. That's the problem. So what do you expect with people over here not liking them when there's better alternatives?

+1

he asked for "quantifiable reasons", and then when i provided them, attempted to pretend they weren't quantifiable.

fanboy much?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 3, 2012,
How good would a Jackson professional series guitar be...found one for 250.
depends which professional series you mean... i think there were older 90s ones which were mij (which were before my time) which were supposedly pretty good. there were newer ones (early 2000s) which were korean-made and which weren't that great.

i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(This is in response from my MH sale thread)

Ultimate Guitar uses 2 PM systems. The one 95% of people use is located in their profile. If you go to the top right corner of your screen you should see a link in a yellow box titled "my profile". You should be able to find my message at that point
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Dave_Mc
depends which professional series you mean... i think there were older 90s ones which were mij (which were before my time) which were supposedly pretty good. there were newer ones (early 2000s) which were korean-made and which weren't that great.

i think.

Was pretty sure Professionals/Pro series were all MIJ.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Side note: I have enough money to get my guitar rig (with the aformentioned Jackson) if I don't get a tuner/metronome. The vypyr 30 has a built-in tuner, yet I don't know how good it is.
Why don't you just look at the Guitar Center used website, pick out a used guitar that you like, and then call the store directly and order it by phone? There's plenty of Schecter Hellraisers on their used site. You could probably get one for around $450.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
cuz now I want a different guitar XD. Btw can you usually get a tuner free with a guitar?
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 4, 2012,
Depends on who's selling. A tuner is like $10 so if you're buying a $300 guitar and make it a point to ask for a tuner, they might just give it away. I'm sure the tuner in your amp will be fine. There's also plenty of free programs online that you can use to tune your guitar.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40