Current gear:
-Giablo c-type(jtm45 with 6L6 tubes, ccs mod and solid/tube recto)
-Closed back HOOK 2X12
-2X Celestion g12m 25 watt 75hz greenbacks from 71

Main issue that I'm having is that my amp is to powerful for the peer greenbacks to handle and now that I've started to drop tune one of my guitars the bottom end starts to wash out. The amp spits out 80 watts when cranked(which is the way I like to run my amp) which is way to much for the greenbacks to handle properly. Currently using an attenuator to save the speakers but I want to be able to crank the amp without having the risk that I'll smoke my speakers.

Looking for a speaker that can handle at least 80 watts, has a solid bottom, smooth mids and highs and has a big spread. The bigger the speaker sounds the better. I really like the spread and the sound of the greenback and it's a shame the bottom ends starts to wash out and it can't handle the power. I don't want a speaker that has cutting mids like the V30, I can't stand that speaker.

I'm trying to look passed the obvious choice of celestion speakers but I'm having a hard time finding suited speakers.

speakers I find interesting:
Celestion g12-65:
Higher powered version of the greenback though only availeble as the expensive heritage series.

eminence legend gb12:
modeled after that greenback but is able to handle more power and has a a bit more bass that the g12m. Still concerned about the bottom end washing out.

electro voice EVM12L:
Impossible to distort with a power rating of 200 watts per speaker. Supposed to have a good response across the freq board and a massive sound. Only downside is that people say it sounds hi fi'ish and you could prob anchor a cruise ship to one of those speakers(it's absolutely massive).

Budget is around 500 euro's for 2 speakers.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
That amp isn't going to put out 80 watts when cranked. It puts out closer to 50-55 or so. But using only two greenbacks is dangerous.

I like G12H30s with mine, but I don't down tune or play anything heavy. They will have a stronger low end than the M25s, but still only handle 60 watts total in a 2x12 cab. No greenback style speaker is going to have a super tight low end if you are trying to play metal or anything. If you really want to get that kind of non-boomy low end, you are going to have to either mod that amp or get a new amp. The JTM45 is just a flabby, boomy sounding amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 2, 2012,
Do you like how the Greenbacks sound? I believe Scumback speakers has a higher-wattage clone of them. Since you're in Europe, though, you might not be able to get a hand on them very easily.

The Eminence Legends speakers are quite well-regarded. I'd look at those, or maybe you could branch out your tastes from British and take a look at the Eminence Swamp Thangs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
@al112987: My tech did some measurements and we came to the conclusion that the amp was peaking at almost 80 watts.

Thought about the g12h30 but 60 watts isn't going to cut it.

Keep in mind that this isn't you typical flabby sounding jtm45, it has a switchable solid state recifier, the neg feedback loop is wired to 16ohm for extra tightness and the CCS mod makes sure that all of my signal get into the amp thus creating a sound that doesn't sound muffled. I like to jump the channels while cranking both volumes for that nasty fu manchu like fuzziness.

I'm in no way looking for a metal sound, I like my boomy and fuzzy stoner/grunge sound while retaining the ability get a nice cleanish sound that's just breaking up.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Last edited by allochthomas at Feb 2, 2012,
Eminence Legend V12 speakers are basicly what you described: High power handling, Nice low-end, good mids, smooth high-end. I use them almost exclusively. I play in tunings from E standard to Drop C and they handle it all fine Metal to Jazz.

Also if you do like the way the greenbacks sound, the GB12 is nice, but they also have the Private Jack which is another GB clone with higher wattage.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by allochthomas
@al112987: My tech did some measurements and we came to the conclusion that the amp was peaking at almost 80 watts.

Thought about the g12h30 but 60 watts isn't going to cut it.

Keep in mind that this isn't you typical flabby sounding jtm45, it has a switchable solid state recifier, the neg feedback loop is wired to 16ohm for extra tightness and the CCS mod makes sure that all of my signal get into the amp thus creating a sound that doesn't sound muffled. I like to jump the channels while cranking both volumes for that nasty fu manchu like fuzziness.

I'm in no way looking for a metal sound, I like my boomy and fuzzy stoner/grunge sound while retaining the ability get a nice cleanish sound that's just breaking up.

80 watts RMS?

An JTM45 circuit simply cannot put out that much power. I've measured it using an oscilloscope, even cranked fullbore with KT66 tubes and a SS rectifier, the most I've ever seen out of the amp is about 60 watts.
Quote by al112987
80 watts RMS?

An JTM45 circuit simply cannot put out that much power. I've measured it using an oscilloscope, even cranked fullbore with KT66 tubes and a SS rectifier, the most I've ever seen out of the amp is about 60 watts.
he clearly stated that it was peaking at @ 80 watts, not RMS 80
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
RMS doesn't really say that much about an amp's power rating. The c-type should be around 35-40 watts but it was peaking at 80 which is way to much for the poor greenbacks. Some like the ready to explode sound but I prefer not to smoke my pair of vintage speakers.

The eminence private jack and gb12 are looking good candidates, though what's the main difference between those two?

I've looked into scumbacks and the g12m with 55hz cone and 65 watt rating looks really nice, though I usually try to avoid all the vintage correct aging mumbo jumbo so I'm a bit skeptical. I'm just looking for speakers that sound great, not some vintage correct ones.

Also: no one has experiance with the EVM12L?
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat