Poll: Read OP.
Poll Options
View poll results: Read OP.
I would not die in the name of my values, principles, etc. My survival is more important to me.
51 31%
I would die in the name of my values, honor, etc. My legacy and word is more important to me
58 35%
I'm not sure
45 27%
Other
10 6%
Voters: 164.
Page 1 of 3
There's sort of two sides of the spectrum here:

The first side: You'll always behave in a matter of survival and try to avoid death even though you might have to sacrifice certain values you have. Perhaps you think it's pointless to die honorably or sticking to your principles because once you're dead, you'll be too dead to care.

The second side: You will die in support of your principles or values. You'd rather die than be a hypocrite/coward. I think examples of guys like this would be the guy in the clip below, or Socrates.

Which side do you consider yourself more of?

(Also, just for the sake of the thread, don't consider dying to save a loved one like a wife, children, etc. We're just talking about dying in the name of your values, beliefs, principles, etc.).

This thread is sort of inspired from this scene in Inglorious Basterds:

See: 01:35 - 2:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG4pI5ek4Q8

What do you think about voluntarily dying out of honor? (I'm not saying the Nazi was justified in ideology, that's not the point)
Last edited by The Madcap at Feb 2, 2012,
I would die in the name of my honor. I feel like people are fleeting, while ideas can live forever.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I wouldn't die to prove my love for Opeth, but some things are bigger than just ourselves. Like my love for Gojira.
There's probably an extent to which i'd die for my beliefs. I can't think of any examples at the moment, but part of being human is adapting to survive. It's illogical to die for my own trivial beliefs, but there are fundamental causes that I would be honored to die for.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Dying for my beliefs won't change anything. You'd have to have a pretty big ego to think your death will matter on the grand scheme of things. Survival > Everything.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Values are made up. When I'm dead, only my deeds will stay to others, not what I felt, what I believed in, what my values were.
My life, on the other hand, is real. I wouldn't die for my values.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Depends. Some things are much bigger than I am, but I won't die for them unless I feel that it will make a difference (IE the monk that set himself on fire in Vietnam, or the guy that refused to move from the path of those tanks in China[even though he didn't die]).
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by genghisgandhi
I'm not gonna die until the Knicks win a championship.

haha, good luck with that.

/shields self from Eagles comments.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Why's that?

Because he chose to stay in Athens and ingest hemlock over a trial that he concedes was not fair rather than escape when given the opportunity. He also made a lot of suspect arguments and contradicted himself on some matters. And his analogies are boring and tedious.
There are worse things than death.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Because he chose to stay in Athens and ingest hemlock over a trial that he concedes was not fair rather than escape when given the opportunity. He also made a lot of suspect arguments and contradicted himself on some matters. And his analogies are boring and tedious.

If he did escape his credibility would have gone to shit.

You do realize that he never wrote anything down, and it was Plato who wrote all his ideas after he died? We don't even know if he really did believe all those things, or if it was all Plato's stuff.
Quote by Jackal58

Like for an old man to be trapped in a forum full of kids?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
If he did escape his credibility would have gone to shit.
His credibility in Athens was already shit, that's the reason why his trial was over before it started. Over generations the politicians, poets, and artisans he had been pissing off sullied his reputation.

You do realize that he never wrote anything down, and it was Plato who wrote all his ideas after he died? We don't even know if he really did believe all those things, or if it was all Plato's stuff.

Yes, but I believe it's generally assumed that Defense/Apology and Crito represent Socrates beliefs whereas Republic is more representative of Plato's beliefs.
I don't know, in the German officer's case, his personal integrity potentially helped the cause he was fighting for, so I suppose you could argue it was worth the sacrifice.

In other cases, specifically the Japanese adherence to Bushido principles during world war two, the "honourable" death added no real strategic value, kamikaze pilots being the exception in that case of course.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by genghisgandhi
*self immolating monk*

if you want a more recent example, the event that sparked (no pun intended) the Tunisian revolution was a man(Mohamed Bouazazi) that did the very same thing
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Vince Sixx
Dying for my beliefs won't change anything. You'd have to have a pretty big ego to think your death will matter on the grand scheme of things. Survival > Everything.

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
It'd be impossible to say until I'd actually be faced with the situation.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by Carswell98
if you want a more recent example, the event that sparked (no pun intended) the Tunisian revolution was a man(Mohamed Bouazazi) that did the very same thing

This.

Anybody who says dying doesn't change anything is an idiot.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Jackal58

this. death is good. it cleanses society and the world.

and i dont really have any beliefs i'd die for :/
Quote by bradulator
This.

Anybody who says dying doesn't change anything is an idiot.

statistically speaking, it's more likely that nothing will come of your death, depending on the circumstances.
Securing your survival by renouncing your principals, beliefs, etc. is the most cowardly and betraying thing you can do in my opinion. Would I be willing to die for the things I believe? Your damn right I would, and it wouldn't be for some hope of honor that would come from it. If there's one thing that I've learned, honor is similar to symbols. It is only given and retains it's strength because of the people that believe in the act. If no one thinks I am right, at least I died knowing I wasn't turning my back on everything I had come to stand for. If they do, then death is inconsequential because that honor will last forever.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by CodeMonk
I'm vegetarian.
But if the both of us were lost in the woods with little hope of rescue and no food...I would rename you "Lunch".

I agree with this. Certain things (such as your chosen dietary habits) aren't worth dying for. There are things that are worth it (political reasons[at times], social injustices, etc.).
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Not sure... if the death is torturous, I might give in.
But then again, life is overrated...

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I agree with this. Certain things (such as your chosen dietary habits) aren't worth dying for. There are things that are worth it (political reasons[at times], social injustices, etc.).

what's the difference between being a vegetarian and..believing in democracy (for example)? I'd imagine they're both morally founded, so in each case you're standing up for your morals. I guess you could argue some people feel more strongly for some of their morals than others ...but which ones take precedence will probably vary person to person.
Quote by -Mantra-
Not sure... if the death is torturous, I might give in.
But then again, life is overrated...

Was that picture made by a 14-year-old or something?

I get the point he's trying to make, but Jesus Christ of all the examples he had to choose from...
I would probably die because of my values.I'm too much of a opinionated loud mouth at times and i thing nothing of publicly bashing politicians/certian religions.There is a vary high probability that if i was in the wrong country i'd get shot in the street for saying bad things about Islam. Either that or Al shit blob will park a bomb in front of my house because i made fun of them
Quote by The Madcap
Was that picture made by a 14-year-old or something?

I get the point he's trying to make, but Jesus Christ of all the examples he had to choose from...

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that....no Darwin
Page 1 of 3