Hey GG&A,

Due to some issues with a guitar I recently purchased, I have been offered $250 CAD of free gear to remedy the situation. I want to expand my pedalboard, and I'd really appreciate some input on what I should do with the $$.

Current Gear: See sig
Budget: $250 CAD new
Music I play most frequently: RHCP, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Explosions in the Sky, Arctic Monkeys, etc.
Favourite guitarist tones: Frusciante, David Gilmore, John Mayer, Munaf from Explosions, etc.
Stuff I've been looking into: ProCo Rat, Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde, other distortions/overdrives, reverb, digital delay, chorus, EHX POG2, expression pedal (for my DMB). Digital/analogue doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds good, but I usually lean towards analogue pedals. I really like my current rig, so I'd rather go for things other than distortion unless something really catches my eye.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
well, if you're not really sure on what to get i'd suggest saving up. but if it's like a 250$ gift card only usable at this store then i'd probably get a fuzz face.

There are a number of good builders here on UG, forsakenazrael for example, could probably whipp you up a by-far a better deal then say the stock red dunlop fuzz face.
Get a better wah (assuming your crybaby is just the stock/basic model). You could get a Line 6 M5 if you really want to giggle around with effects (Not analog, but in my opinion it sounds more than good enough).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
get the Rat pedal, it's a great pedal for a great price
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by vayne92
Morpheus drop tune pedal.

Cool pedal, but I don't think I'd get much use out of it TBH. Thanks, though!

Quote by strykerwolf
well, if you're not really sure on what to get i'd suggest saving up. but if it's like a 250$ gift card only usable at this store then i'd probably get a fuzz face.

There are a number of good builders here on UG, forsakenazrael for example, could probably whipp you up a by-far a better deal then say the stock red dunlop fuzz face.

Unfortunately, it's only store credit. I love my Big Muff, but I'll definitely check out the Fuzz Face when I go into the store! Thanks!

Quote by souperman08
Get a better wah (assuming your crybaby is just the stock/basic model). You could get a Line 6 M5 if you really want to giggle around with effects (Not analog, but in my opinion it sounds more than good enough).

I like my wah. I think the basic Crybaby sounds pretty good. There are a few adjustments I would make, but I'm planning on modding it in the future. I'll check out the M5.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
If you really want to get some good EITS-type sounds, you'll need to buy a reverb pedal. I highly recommend the Line 6 Verbzilla. The Cave setting is nothing short of glorious.

EDIT: Disregard that! The M5 will have a Verbzilla built in. Get that.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Feb 2, 2012,
See if they carry Strymon. If they do, get a Blue Sky. It'll eat a verbzilla alive!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Quote by Helicopters!
If you really want to get some good EITS-type sounds, you'll need to buy a reverb pedal. I highly recommend the Line 6 Verbzilla. The Cave setting is nothing short of glorious.

EDIT: Disregard that! The M5 will have a Verbzilla built in. Get that.

^This. Buying a M5 is like buying a Verbzilla, Echo Park, the Line 6 Filter and Modulation pedals (I forget the names, but I know for sure that John Frusciante used both), plus a whole bunch of other stuff, for $200. You could probably find an expression pedal with the other $50, and be off to a great start.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Been seing a few recommendations for this M5. Normally I avoid most Line 6 stuff - I haven't found anything that really works right for me unless it has a whole heap of other functions that are superfluous - but this is starting to look like a convenient option...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
If they carry Strymon, the discount you're getting makes one of THE BEST reverb pedals a $50 deal. Or you could pick up the El Cap which is easily the best tap echo/delay I've heard short of the real thing. I believe the nobs are push pull so that you can tweak every imaginable part of the sound it makes. Favorite a sound and then set the nobs where you want them and you've got 2 through the roof quality sounds out of a pedal built for war!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Quote by Slap-happy
Been seing a few recommendations for this M5. Normally I avoid most Line 6 stuff - I haven't found anything that really works right for me unless it has a whole heap of other functions that are superfluous - but this is starting to look like a convenient option...

I would never touch anything by Line 6 outside of the M series and the POD HDs. (Everything else either doesn't sound good, or like you said, has too many unnecessary bells and whistles for my taste).
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've had some bad experiences with multi-effects pedals and Line6 products in the past, so I'm a bit skeptical of the M5. I'll give it a shot when I go to the shop.

I like the recommendations for reverb pedals so far, but unfortunately this store doesn't carry Strymon. They do carry a lot of big name brands like Boss, EHX, Line6, TC Electronics, Eventide, Dunlop, MXR, Visual Sound, Carl Martin, etc.

Any other recommendations for reverb or distortion/overdrive pedals? I've also been wanting a looping station for a while. Here are some things I've been looking at on their website:

Boss RC-20XL for $250
Proco Rat Deucetone for $200
TC Electronics Nova Series pedals for $260
Boss RV-5 for $180
EHX Holy Stain for $120
MXR 10-band EQ for $135
MXR Boost/OD for $140
Others (not on their website but I know they carry): EHX English Muff'n, EHX Micro POG, various MXR, EHX, and other analogue chorus and compressors
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
You like flange? Boss BF 2/3/whatever the hell they're on now, is a great pedal for a reasonable price.
The M series is great. I know there are more than a few guys in the Post-Rock thread who have M5s or M9s.

The POG2 is cool but it seems to be really specific in its sound.

If you don't go for the M5, I'd look at the Verbzilla. The MXR seems like a good idea as well since you don't seem to have an overdrive pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??