Is there a major difference in skill between say 8-10 years of learning guitar?

Hey guys, in a week or two I will be making my first actual guitar purchase.

I've owned 3 guitars before, all of them really crappy wal-mart brands. I know they are at least guitars and they are better than no guitar, but they sound horrible and are just built horrible. So im looking at purchasing a Squier Classic Vibe 50s/60s stratocaster.

I'm actually intrested in learning guitar, not just playing Sweet Child of Mine or Wonderwall at a frat party, im intrested in the notes, theory, and etc. Im a muscian, been playing drums for about 6 years, have about a years worth of experience on a drumset, so im familiar with music and all that.

Basically, is there really a skill difference between someone whos been playing for 8 years and someone whos been playing for 10? I would think so, but then again do you ever just reach a point where the differences are so minor virtually everyone will have the same skills?
It depends on how much they play, how fast they learn, and other factors.

You don't honestly think that everyone learns at the same rate?

Also, the first half of the OP has nothing to do with the next.
The difference in skill between any length of time depends solely on the effort you put into the craft.
Quote by LRCGUITAR

No no no no.

Let me try to phrase it better. Let's say someone has 200 hours of Call of Duty played. Someone else has 220 hours. Is the 220 really that much better?

I mean 2 years is a long time, and for the record lets assume both practice at the same rate. But will the 10 honestly be that much better then the 8? Sure hes had more practice time on scales and such but I mean cmon theres only so many times you can play the C cord before it becomes 2nd nature to you.
Quote by LRCGUITAR

Also, the first half of the OP has nothing to do with the next.

I mostly put the first half in because I will be practicing guitar and I wanted to know if you ever reach a point to where nobody really sounds that much different anymore.

I mean lets say I practiced a couple of hours a day for like 4 years, will people who have been playing say 10 years really sound all that different from me?
Quote by GKDAIR

Let me try to phrase it better.

Well, you just phrased it the exact same way...
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Depends on what you do between years 8 and 10.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I've been playing over 10 years, I was probably better 2 years ago because I played more challenging material more often... so in the real world... No, there probably won't be a difference. Too many variables.
My cousin started playing about 2 years ago and he's better than me. I've been playing for 6 years.
Quote by GKDAIR
I mostly put the first half in because I will be practicing guitar and I wanted to know if you ever reach a point to where nobody really sounds that much different anymore.

I mean lets say I practiced a couple of hours a day for like 4 years, will people who have been playing say 10 years really sound all that different from me?

Yes. Because they've been playing longer than you, so will probably have spent considerably more time practicing. How is that not obvious?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by GKDAIR

After playing long enough, you start to create your own style of play. My interests influence my strengths which influence my style.

Like others have said everyone is different.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by GKDAIR

Dude its just like evryone else in the thread sead it depends on your style your setup and how much you put into it which is going to determine how you sound. obviously some ppl have played for years and years and practised 2 hours evryday and others practised for several hours evryday theres guna be a differance in sound and evryone picks up influences from differant places which also effects how they sound so... yeah not sure what else i can say tbh. hope thats helpfull
20 hours is to short a time to notice a real difference, but 2 years is quite a bit in comparison. You can learn a lot expand to many different styles and refine what you can already play.

Sweet Child o Mine is a easy song? I'd be impressed if some nub that has played less then a year picked up a guitar at a party and did it start to finish including solos.
Quote by blake1221
The difference in skill between any length of time depends solely on the effort you put into the craft.

This. Some people have been playing 30 years and still can't play anything harder than a Kansas song.
Check out my band Disturbed
I've been playing for 45 years and I still suck
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I've been playing for 45 years and I still suck

15-16 years for me, and same. I haven't seen much improvement in 10 years. But I never "practice," just play for my own enjoyment. If you actually apply yourself, yes you could see improvement, but I think at that point, when you're nearing a decade of playing, it's more about refinement than completely new learning.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 2, 2012,