There are probably 200 threads like this a day. Sorry to make this 201 for today XD.
I looked at the official $300 thread but saw that it was mostly Acoustic Steel strings.
So i decided to post here and get the communities opinion on which would be best.

My style with the classical is Finger picking fun classical pieces to playing straight up spanish/latin style impov solo leads. Electric will come in handy with the recording equipment i have around here as well as with an amp.

Here is what im looking at.
Takamine-EG124C
Dean CSCM Espana
Ibanez AEG10NE

And there ya go...

I was looking at the Ibanez because everyone was saying how the neck is different (thinner i believe?). And that would help to be able to play chords easier in sort of a play chord songs setting and also make it a tad easier to do the leads in latin songs. People were all loving the sound of it plugged in with all that Fishman stuff in it.

I was looking at the Dean because it was in the price range and people just generally had good stuff to say about it (I dont really go by Guitar center/ Musicians Friend reviews).

Last, I was looking at the Takamine for the same reason, People just sorta said its alright. Others said it was really good so idk mixed reviews.

It will be picked as well as fingerpicked. So if you would be so kind. Help me choose which would be the best for my studio/random chord setting. Thanks!
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling." - Anonymous
both the ibanez and the takamine nut width is narrower, but narrower like a wide parlor neck - 1 7/8" of an inch - not narrower like a standard dread - 1 11/16". 1 7/8" is actually my favorite nut width, btw - i do a lot of fingerpicking at that width.

the dean doesn't really sound as good to me as the tak or the ibanez. my preference is the ibanez - i owned an older version of it, and it wasn't bad at all. i enjoyed the tone and the electronics and the cutaway. for what it's worth, back when we had less cash, i chose the ibanez out of all the guitars like it. and for what it's worth, when i sold it over 10 years later, it sold fast and easily - people do like it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
both the ibanez and the takamine nut width is narrower, but narrower like a wide parlor neck - 1 7/8" of an inch - not narrower like a standard dread - 1 11/16". 1 7/8" is actually my favorite nut width, btw - i do a lot of fingerpicking at that width.

the dean doesn't really sound as good to me as the tak or the ibanez. my preference is the ibanez - i owned an older version of it, and it wasn't bad at all. i enjoyed the tone and the electronics and the cutaway. for what it's worth, back when we had less cash, i chose the ibanez out of all the guitars like it. and for what it's worth, when i sold it over 10 years later, it sold fast and easily - people do like it.
Thanks for your help. So thats 1 vote Ibanez what do you think about the ibanez cosmetics over quality thing? People seem to bash Ibanez like there's no tomorrow.
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling." - Anonymous
i'm actually often accused of being an ibanez basher. i don't care for their steel string models, which do seem imo to put looks ahead of tone, especially their all laminate models. but their classicals sound pretty good, especially at the lower price range. and so do their lower basses, btw.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by jman_nunez
Thanks for your help. So thats 1 vote Ibanez what do you think about the ibanez cosmetics over quality thing? People seem to bash Ibanez like there's no tomorrow.

Well, first I'd close the "poll", then head out and buy that Ibby. This is the closest thing to a "ringing endorsement of anything Ibanez I've ever seen, either at UG or from Patticake.

Moving on, are you a bit masochistic? Because that last observation seems like someone who is begging to be trolled.......

Here's what I think about Ibanez steel strings, "they're purty, and if all attempts at making them sound good fail, plug 'em in".......
Well this is a rather historic day, when you have both the Captain and the Acoustic Godess (and I say those names with respect), who despite they're very different philosophic approaches to guitars, both agreeing on a single candidate, then I say the choice is pretty clear.

I disqualify myself from casting a vote since I have never played the Tak or the Ibanez, I have briefly heard someone playing the Dean (unplugged) and can say that it sounded pretty good, which rather surprised me.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Then i will buy the Ibanez! Thank you and goodnight!
I would go for the Takamine simply because I got mad at Ibanez not making solid-top classical guitars anywhere near a decent price-range. Then again, what do I know? Just be sure to try playing all your candidates so you end up with the one you really like most.
Im going to throw 2 more things into my choices. I would be buying the ibanez New. But i could buy a used Cordoba C5-CE or a used Takamine EG522C. Would these guitars be any better....they are used and ill have to call about there condition and all that.
If it's in good condition, then I'd go with the Cordoba C5-CE; it has a Solid Cedar top.
I might also recommend you look for a Walden (N550CE) which is also around that price range, with a Solid Spruce top.
Quote by Lord Kamina
If it's in good condition, then I'd go with the Cordoba C5-CE; it has a Solid Cedar top.
I might also recommend you look for a Walden (N550CE) which is also around that price range, with a Solid Spruce top.
Wouldn't the cedar top be more, "classically classical", so to speak?
I don't think so, really. And besides, from all the models that you've mentioned, it's the only one with a solid top.
Quote by Lord Kamina
I don't think so, really. And besides, from all the models that you've mentioned, it's the only one with a solid top.
ill look up some youtube vidz on the cordoba and see what i hear.

*update*
Ya ill probably do the Cordoba. I see that people prefer spruce over cedar because spruce is supposedly brighter and lasts longer. But i will get cedar and love it anyway. With it plugged in i will be able to help with the sound anyway.
Last edited by jman_nunez at Feb 3, 2012,
i don't think i've seen this exact model, but i've been impressed with cordoba. the guitars i've played of theirs are very nicely made, hardware is nice quality, and i've been in contact with their customer service rep (kim) several times in the last week, who's been very helpful.
Quote by Skeet UK
Last edited by patticake at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Lord Kamina
Just to be precise and for historical accuracy, I didn't mention ANY models. I concurred with Patticake about the Ibanez.

My only affirmative input was that I thought that cedar was the more traditional top material for a classical guitar.

I did a brief shopping excursion to Musician's Friend and found that the high end Rodriguez, Godin, and even Taylor are indeed cedar. And the jap junk, Ibanez and Takamine are spruce. I don't know what that even means. But that was only one page, and I was at the limit of my attention span. So, I didn't investigate all 182 models they were showing.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
Just to be precise and for historical accuracy, I didn't mention ANY models. I concurred with Patticake about the Ibanez.

My only affirmative input was that I thought that cedar was the more traditional top material for a classical guitar.

I did a brief shopping excursion to Musician's Friend and found that the high end Rodriguez, Godin, and even Taylor are indeed cedar. And the jap junk, Ibanez and Takamine are spruce. I don't know what that even means. But that was only one page, and I was at the limit of my attention span. So, I didn't investigate all 182 models they were showing.

Yeah, I thought it was the TS who had said that. Only noticed it later, figured you'd see the mistake.

The way I hear it, it's mostly down to preference.
i found the cordoba in a store today and tried it. lots of rich bass - if you like that, definitely worth a try. beautiful tone to me. that being said, the ibanez had more highs, but i expect better strings would have done the cordoba right.
Quote by Skeet UK
Last edited by patticake at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by patticake
i found the cordoba in a store today and tried it. lots of rich bass - if you like that, definitely worth a try. beautiful tone to me. that being said, the ibanez had more highs, but i expect better strings would have done the cordoba right.
Probably the spruce top on the ibby brightens it up.
Quote by jman_nunez

*update*
Ya ill probably do the Cordoba. I see that people prefer spruce over cedar because spruce is supposedly brighter and lasts longer.
This is something that really shouldn't affect your decision, what you think other people think. Cedar will last a good number of years. It's also supposed to sound good right away, while spruce ages in over the years.

Cedar is mellower, spruce is brighter, which do you prefer? Those are the only considerations that really matter.