Page 1 of 2
So i wondered why pepole like slash/ malmsteen etc have a wall of marchals behind them. I think yngvie uses over 20 heads. What is the point? Cant you use just a normal amp into the pa system? Does he actually use more than 1 amp head? How the heck dows he do it?
To tell you the truth, I doubt more than one of them is even switched on. Playing huge venues like that, there's probably a single cab offstage with a mic on it going into the PA. The cabs onstage might not even have real speakers
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
It looks badass.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
It looks "cool".
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Because Malmsteen has a tiny, tiny penis and was abused as a child
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Most_Triumphant
It looks badass.

by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Like the other guys are saying, it just looks cool. There's actually a pic I saw of some black metal band from behind the stage doing an outside gig, and the wall of "amps" was pretty much just a screen, there was no back on them and there was a single ENGL head sideways behind one of the cabs hooked up to something. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
It does look badass...Most of those cabs are actually dummy cabs, not only do they not have speakers in them, they don't even have backs. A lot of artists will use rack effects/amps and just run those straight into the PA, others will mic one cab and use it...
What's the point of having a chunk of flamed maple? Why not regular maple?

Because it looks br00tlz and liek all the sound is coming from the 5 stacks on stage......not the PAs/speakers that are discreetly placed all around.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
So glad not to see some dimwit posting "No wayz d00d, they r all on and cranked to 11!!!1!111!!!!"

But yeah everyone's basically hit the nail on the head. The cabs on stage are usually no more than a wooden box with a grille cover. Look at Rise Against for example, Guitar World did a behind the scenes feature and despute there being about 12 'cabs' on stage, both Zach and Tim have just one half stack set up side of stage with 2 mics on each one going through the PA.

In the modern era of in-ear monitors, there's just no need to have amps on stage at all anymore, all they do is create noise to interfere with the vocal mics and make it harder to mix from front of house (trust me, I've mixed a few gigs with bands using in-ear monitors, it's an absolute dream! So quiet on stage ). The only time you really need the amps on stage is when you're using conventional monitors because it provides an extra source of monitoring beyond just the wedges.

The only artist I seem to recall who actually uses a huge wall of amps with all of them on, is Angus Young, he claims that every single one of his marshall stacks is turned on and set at half volume. But he could just be talking aload of rubbish, he does enjoy a good laugh old Abgus.
^ He could have all of them on and set at half volume, but it doesn't mean he's playing through all of them (or any of them, for that matter)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It adds more fragile harmonics and haunting mids, and creates stronger crystal lettuces.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--

Here's your wall of amps
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by AcousticMirror
what else are you gonna put back there.

a nice drape?

Some curtains, some nice oriental paintings, maybe hang a tapestry or two. The usual.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by AcousticMirror
what else are you gonna put back there.

a nice drape?

Absolutely, something made of crushed velvet. Ladies like the velvet
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
So people know you have a massive d***
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
It's also good marketing. Marshall welcomes and encourages it.
As evidenced by that picture, the fake cabs do serve one more purpose, and that's to hide the nasty pile of shit that's back stage. It takes a pile of boxes and cables and whatnot and instead turns it into a wall of "amps" that looks way cooler, so there is actually a function there. It takes something that would looks shitty and makes it look ****ing sweet, so why not do it? Hell, I might get a wall of those for my house...
Quote by Blktiger0
Hell, I might get a wall of those for my house...

Do it!!!!!

And post a NWOAD thread
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by stratman_13
It adds more fragile harmonics and haunting mids, and creates stronger crystal lettuces.

Sigged, like the ***** you are.
My Soundcloud
Quote by JKHC
Do it!!!!!

And post a NWOAD thread

I'm just gonna build my walls out of cabs.

Then I'll have amps mounted in the walls, connected to the cabs.

I could just plug and play whenever I felt like it... with real stereo surround sound...

**** it, I'm am so doing this later.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by AcousticMirror
man you guys know how much a giant drape costs.

more then a wall of cabs.

My drapes are made from the flesh of my enemies.

Y'know, for the br00tz.
--

--
Quote by AcousticMirror
man you guys know how much a giant drape costs.

more then a wall of cabs.

I've got spares.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

That's a nice rug. Would look great in the storage unit next to the others.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by 667
It's also good marketing. Marshall welcomes and encourages it.

Most probably because of this...
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
Quote by mmolteratx
That's a nice rug. Would look great in the storage unit next to the others.

shit son if you can't afford a wall of amps you shouldn't even start thinking bout rugs.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've worked quite a few gigs for bands as diverse as The Flaming Lips, Mariachi El Bronx, Good Charlotte, Das Racist and Cavalera Conspracy and all have had fully loaded amps and cabs on stage (although GC his the non-hardcore Fender Twin behind their Mesa cabs). Most seem to have one amp running and the other is a back up for a quick fix should anything go to shit on stage.
Mogwai blew up a rented JCM900 last time I worked for them.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
I've worked quite a few gigs for bands as diverse as The Flaming Lips, Mariachi El Bronx, Good Charlotte, Das Racist and Cavalera Conspracy and all have had fully loaded amps and cabs on stage (although GC his the non-hardcore Fender Twin behind their Mesa cabs). Most seem to have one amp running and the other is a back up for a quick fix should anything go to shit on stage.

You've worked for the Flaming Lips?

I am so jealous.
--

--
Harvest Festival near Melbourne last year.
Played their gear and helped Wayne get from the stage to the audience and back again in his space bubble at the opening of the set when they played an awesome version of Sweet Leaf.
Quote by Slap-happy

Thing about those bands.. they arent the super try hard stadium tour type bands.

Well good charlotte is kind of.

not like slayer where they actually load in fake cabs with nothing in them

Yeah - I'm working Soundwave next month so we'll see what gets thrown on to the stages there.
well wouldn't you rather lift empty cabs then filled ones...

i mean an empty cab is like 15-20 pounds...
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Slap-happy
Harvest Festival near Melbourne last year.
Played their gear and helped Wayne get from the stage to the audience and back again in his space bubble at the opening of the set when they played an awesome version of Sweet Leaf.

Wanna trade lives?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by AcousticMirror
well wouldn't you rather lift empty cabs then filled ones...

i mean an empty cab is like 15-20 pounds...

Of course - never 100% sure of what's coming in until the day of the gig. So few bands travel here (Australia) with their own backline, making do with whatever is available to hire.
Page 1 of 2