Hey all. I played a faded Gibson Sg at my local guitar shop (through a vox vt, dont know which number) and it sounded terrific. I started getting more interested in it when I could switch from distortion to cleans and get a new sound ive never desired or heard before, and it was awesome. However, the neck is a total pain in the ass, and it would be a total shame if I couldn't see if I could purchase it because of the neck (yes it's that critical, lol)

I own an Epi Wilshire that has a Fender like neck, and is a dream to play - are there any variants of an SG with a skinnier neck? Is it possible to replace it?

Thanks - Dan
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Man up, and use a real neck.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
the fat neck is part of the appeal the same way thin necks are part of the appeal to ibanez. but I'm sure you COULD change the neck but I would advise against it
You find the SG Standard necks thick? I never really minded the SG necks, though I find all the Epis I've played cept one LP have been really thick(all Standards, of course, because Epi and Gibson refuse to offer much else in lefty), the Dot in particular(sad too because I love how they look, the body feels nice and they sound nicer than most other Epis I've played). I digress, however, that's not your point.

The '60s Tributes SGs have a thinner '60s-profile neck, and it's in a satin finish which I find much better to play on. It *DOES* have P90s, though, so a swap might be in order if you want humbuckers(and P90s don't really have much in the way of hot pickups, DiMarzio makes P90-sized Super Distortions but otherwise you're pretty much looking at vintage-voiced pickups, I'd say.). They might have some other models too, just check out the Gibson site for guitars with the '60s/"slim taper" neck profile.

I don't think replacing the neck'd be by any means a practical solution, my ex's cat knocked over her Epi Goth LP and snapped the headstock off, and according to the tech it'd cost just as much to repair it as it would to get a new guitar at the same price point.

Best of luck to you in finding what you want, man!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I've been on the lookout for a Gibson SG Goddess for years now since they have the thinnest necks Gibson have ever put on any of their traditional body styles (plus they look fantastic). Thing is, they were a limited run and nearly impossible to find. One will show up on ebay every now and then but they're usually quite abused and worn out. It's not the sort of guitar you sell unless it's become trashed.

There are a few Gibson SGs with the '60s' neck though, which is basically a Fender-style profile. You might also want to look at the ESP Viper series, which is their copy of the SG and has a much, much thinner neck.

And no, you can't replace the neck. It's glued in. Changing the neck on a Gibson costs more than the guitar is new. Much more, in fact.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 2, 2012,
Play on an old les paul for a week or two and the SG neck won't seems so thick...
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Buy an ESP Viper
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
My SGs don't have especially clubby necks.

My LP on the other hand...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by al112987
Sg necks are not thick at all....
Some can be. You know how shitty Gibson is at making their 'slim taper' necks adhere to the 'slim' part...
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Its all about which specific Gibson you get. The necks are profiled by hand.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I agree. I've had two Epi SG's, as well as played a crap load of Gibson Standards when i go to the Gibson store in Nashville. Compared to Ltd, Ibanez, and some Schecter necks i've played, they do have pretty thick necks. As has been said, look for some with the 60's profile, or look into the Viper, which may need a pickup change if you like the stock Gibson humbuckers. But as is always said with Gibsons, be sure to try out a lot untiil you find one you love. They can be inconsistent.
Quote by Enix165
You find the SG Standard necks thick? I never really minded the SG necks, though I find all the Epis I've played cept one LP have been really thick(all Standards, of course, because Epi and Gibson refuse to offer much else in lefty), the Dot in particular(sad too because I love how they look, the body feels nice and they sound nicer than most other Epis I've played). I digress, however, that's not your point.

The '60s Tributes SGs have a thinner '60s-profile neck, and it's in a satin finish which I find much better to play on. It *DOES* have P90s, though, so a swap might be in order if you want humbuckers(and P90s don't really have much in the way of hot pickups, DiMarzio makes P90-sized Super Distortions but otherwise you're pretty much looking at vintage-voiced pickups, I'd say.). They might have some other models too, just check out the Gibson site for guitars with the '60s/"slim taper" neck profile.

I don't think replacing the neck'd be by any means a practical solution, my ex's cat knocked over her Epi Goth LP and snapped the headstock off, and according to the tech it'd cost just as much to repair it as it would to get a new guitar at the same price point.

Best of luck to you in finding what you want, man!

Very helpful answer - and most of all the others as well. I'm sorry to the user that my guitar penis isn't big enough for your "real neck". I din't know thats how we judge a guitarist these days.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
I realize that a big part of what you're after with the SG is the tone you heard while playing it. I imagine that part of it may be the visual aesthetics as well.

Have you tried any of the guitars out there with similar bodystyles, like the Guild S-100?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
People tell me great things about Tokai too.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by hopespaul
how dare you....

that's how easy it is to take part of a quote out of its original context.

gibson necks are inconsistent beyond belief, it's been that way since the late '60s, i don't know why nobody seems to realise that.

you will probably find one with a neck you like if you keep searching for it, it could just take a very long time.

edit: i tried an old guild S-100 and i really liked it, it was a long time ago though so i can't really remember specific details other than that it was very well built.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 3, 2012,
both of my Gibsons SG's necks aren't that thick. both similar to a 60's LP cut. the VM model is a little thicker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can honestly say I know how you feel, my roommate plays drums and the kid he jams with plays a faded gibson sg that he leaves at our house for anyone that actually can play guitar. I can't stand the neck profile for anything, just pisses me off. His action is a little high too but overall its too thick as you get closer to the neck joint. imo of course...
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
+1 to trying out an ESP Viper. Just see if you like the way it feels, then swap out the pickups if you like it, since they come stock with EMG's.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've been on the lookout for a Gibson SG Goddess for years now since they have the thinnest necks Gibson have ever put on any of their traditional body styles (plus they look fantastic). Thing is, they were a limited run and nearly impossible to find. One will show up on ebay every now and then but they're usually quite abused and worn out. It's not the sort of guitar you sell unless it's become trashed. There are a few Gibson SGs with the '60s' neck though, which is basically a Fender-style profile. You might also want to look at the ESP Viper series, which is their copy of the SG and has a much, much thinner neck.

GAK had one for sale last week, used of course. They've probably still got it.
Quote by Delboyuk_01
GAK had one for sale last week, used of course. They've probably still got it.
Yeah I saw, and it's in the finish I want too. Problem is, GAK have screwed me around many times in the past, their store is a bitch to get to so I can't see it in person and they described it as having "fair signs of use", which in their language translates as it's been battered to buggery.
Don't know why anyone would want a thinner neck on an SG, the stability is bad enough as it is.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
+1 on the 61 reissue. I'm no Gibson expert, but my buddy has one and seems to have a thinner neck than other SGs I've played.

One of my first guitars was an ESP kh-2, which had a thin neck. It was my main guitar for a few years and going to a Les Paul felt like a huge transition, but I got used to it. Since then, I always seem to be going through guitars and the varying neck sizes don't phase me.

My best suggestion would be picking up a used one and giving it a shot for a few months. If it doesn't grow on you, you could always just resell it and have not wasted your money.
Quote by Slap-happy
People tell me great things about Tokai too.

i'm looking at a tokai atm (check sig) and they are wonderful instruments!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
not sure, but i think the issue here isnt "thick" but "wide".
from my experience, sg's have thin necks, but the length of the fretboard(across) is wide.
its one of those things i cant get used to, because otherwise i love sgs
i know the 61 sg has a nice neck that i liked.

other than that, a viper like others said
Quote by davem27
not sure, but i think the issue here isnt "thick" but "wide".
from my experience, sg's have thin necks, but the length of the fretboard(across) is wide.
its one of those things i cant get used to, because otherwise i love sgs
i know the 61 sg has a nice neck that i liked.

other than that, a viper like others said

I agree. I haven't played that many sg's but everyone I've picked up has had a wide neck and it felt immediately awkward to me. Maybe I could get used to it but I don't know.