Page 1 of 3
Cornmancer brought this up in the "I'm tired of being stupid" thread, and I thought it sounded like a really cool idea.

There's a lot of intelligent people on UG and I figured that we could all group together so we could share our knowledge on various subjects with our fellow UGers. I'm hoping that we could get people to contribute to this so we can all gain a little knowledge.

This thread will be used to share our knowledge on things like religion, politics, music theory, history, science, etc.

I'm hoping that you guys will share links on subjects that you feel are valuable, share book recommendations, and answer questions for people that are interested in becoming more intelligent.

I'll add more links in a few minutes. Like I said, I want you guys to add more stuff to this too since this is a community thing. Feel free to PM any links to me and I'll add them into the OP.

oh yeah:

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Feb 3, 2012,
PM me. I'll answer any question you got.

Edit: Also, there's a lot of knowledge here.
Last edited by whoomit at Feb 2, 2012,
I know everything about circumcision ask me.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I'm hoping that we could get people like Slacker, UrAll$hit, MadCap, and Craigo to contribute to this so we can all gain a little knowledge.

Yes, please come salvage us from our ignorance
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the government is lying about 9/11.
sunbather is shit
Quote by Kensai

lmao.
#DTWD
idea to break up stuff by category. Also the CIA World Factbook, regardless of what you think of the source if your looking for a large amount of information in 1 spot and easily accessible
I'm not sure how much more knowledge I can cram into my head right now. I'll just stand by and pop in when necessary.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
TED is fun, and sometimes informative, but a good number of the talks amount to intellectual circle jerks.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Kensai

I don't know if you're taking that as an insult, but I was just pointing out the people who are generally thought of as being really smart in the pit. I'm not saying that you're not smart, but they tend to have a lot more to say.

Aren't you studying archeology? Maybe you can post some info for us.

Just edited OP!
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by metharian
idea to break up stuff by category. Also the CIA World Factbook, regardless of what you think of the source if your looking for a large amount of information in 1 spot and easily accessible

I'll do that once we've collected a larger collection of links. It would be too much of a hassle to break everything up now since we don't have much. It's my plan to do that eventually though.
Quote by L2112Lif
Tonic water becomes flourescent under UV...

Yeah, my major is in physical chemistry...
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Last edited by Blargaha at Feb 2, 2012,
If you're Z and your opponent FFE's, go hatch first into infestor/roach. Get a fast 3rd. Every time.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by blake1221
What's stopping those people from inquiring in the specific threads of those topics?

This is for general knowledge. This could basically be like a library for the pit where people can go to learn without their questions being lost in the massive discussions/debates that tend to happen in those threads.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by whoomit
PM me. I'll answer any question you got.

Edit: Also, there's a lot of knowledge here.

Clever link placement, yo!
Quote by Blargaha
Tonic water becomes flourescent under UV.

That's cool. I'm going to remember that for the next time I use it.
Quote by Blargaha
Tonic water becomes flourescent under UV...

Yeah, my major is in physical chemistry...

lol, I love that, G&T looks like it's radiating tastiness.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I don't know if you're taking that as an insult, but I was just pointing out the people who are generally thought of as being really smart in the pit. I'm not saying that you're not smart, but they tend to have a lot more to say.

Aren't you studying archeology? Maybe you can post some info for us.

Just edited OP!

It's kind of an insult.

I can answers questions about archaeology, what it's like working in the field and such, but you're better off googling fact questions. Just don't get your info from shady sites.
Great, Stickied this. I am already reading one of the recommended books from my previous thread, "A Short History of Everything". I'm writing a few things down while I read so I can look them up for more in depth information later on. I hope I can at one point be of use to this thread.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
That's cool. I'm going to remember that for the next time I use it.

Do it, it's really cool. Try finding a water that contains a higher concentration quinine
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Quote by Kensai
It's kind of an insult.

I can answers questions about archaeology, what it's like working in the field and such, but you're better off googling fact questions. Just don't get your info from shady sites.

I didn't know you were an Archaeologist, that's awesome.

I'm going for my first field school in May, I'm so excited.
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
This is for general knowledge. This could basically be like a library for the pit where people can go to learn without their questions being lost in the massive discussions/debates that tend to happen in those threads.

or they could go to a library. the only advantage to learning anything from anyone here is confirmation bias. and that's not very scholarly.
#DTWD
Quote by Kensai
It's kind of an insult.

I didn't mean it that way. I was naming off the people that tend to talk the most about their knowledge.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by primusfan
or they could go to a library. the only advantage to learning anything from anyone here is confirmation bias. and that's not very scholarly.

And leave home? You're crazy.

Quote by primusfan
lol. you certainly have a way with words.

Last edited by blake1221 at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I didn't mean it that way. I was naming off the people that tend to talk the most about their knowledge.

#DTWD
N.J. Dawood has a pretty good translation of the Koran in contemporary English if anyone is looking to read the Koran.
Quote by primusfan

Meh, you know what I mean. I'm fine with admitting that a lot of you are more intelligent than I am.
Quote by L2112Lif
It's pronounced, intelligenter
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Carswell98
I didn't know you were an Archaeologist, that's awesome.

I'm going for my first field school in May, I'm so excited.

Starting my masters in autumn, but I've been to several excavations in Sweden, and one in northern Brazil. Field school sounds interesting, what exactly do you get to do there?

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

I know
A good book to read is The World's Greatest Book of Useless Information by Noel Botham.
It's proven to be useful to me on several occasions.
Quote by Kensai
I know

Does anyone have any books/links that they can share with decent information on the northern European Pagan beliefs? I've been interested in learning for a while, but I don't know where to start since there's so many books on it.
Quote by L2112Lif
And i would be more than willing to help with economic questions or political theories. I'll sticky this and probably chk up on it regularly
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Meh, you know what I mean. I'm fine with admitting that a lot of you are more intelligent than I am.

it wasn't that. i was just pointing out that it sounded like a backhanded compliment that they talk a lot about how much they know. just teasing.
#DTWD
Page 1 of 3