What are the essential scales to learn to play solos? I play mostly 70's and 80's rock like van halen, bon jovi, ozzy and quiet riot
minor and major pentatonics and blues scales, like the above guy mentioned.

Major, natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor are useful to know to. Especially the first two.

I recommend you learn the standard triads/ arpeggios and their inversions to.
You should learn the 70's scale, the 80's scale and the right in between scale.

On a serious note, learn the major scale, intervals and the formulas for any other scale.
learn the chromatic scale
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
If you learned every interval then technically you would know every scale.

It would be worth learning the minor scale in every key over the neck. This is obviously a long term goal but it's a great way to learn the fretboard. You will learn their relative majors at the same time.
The minor pentatonic shape will get you through practically anything music can throw at you.
Quote by Matt.Guitar
The minor pentatonic shape will get you through practically anything Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and Eric Clapton can throw at you.

fix'd. but it's a good start.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
fix'd. but it's a good start.

No.
The minor pentatonic SHAPE can be used in practically any musical scenario you can think of - not just playing over an E minor rock vamp.

Of course, you are also correct too about the aforementioned artists.
^
The whole tone scale can be used in practically any musical scenario.

Won't always sound good though.
Quote by Ulfe
^
The whole tone scale can be used in practically any musical scenario.

Won't always sound good though.

Irrelevant I'm sorry to say
The whole tone scale is a symmetrical scale and will always sound the same - no matter how you try to hide it, it will always sound like a whole tone scale.

The minor pentatonic SHAPE (the shape we all learn) is a hugely versatile pattern that can be moved about through chord changes and when you do so it metamorphosises (is that even a word?)into a totally different functioning and sounding scale from that dreary minor pentatonic sound we all know and use to death.
Quote by mrbabo91
If you learned every interval then technically you would know every scale.
Perhaps so. But, it would probably take way too long to interpolate the information to be effective in performance. Jus' sayin'.
Quote by Captaincranky
Perhaps so. But, it would probably take way too long to interpolate the information to be effective in performance. Jus' sayin'.

it's more effective than interpreting every possible incarnation of every set of intervals to produce a scale.

take numbers 1-12 and list a number of combinations using only 2 of those at any given time, then the number of combinations using 7 - actually, wait, not all scales have all 7 notes, and some have more than 7. So add the combinations of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 numbers. which do you think is more efficient to produce over a given progression, assuming you know the chords being produced?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.