Just a bit of info I thought I should share with UG-ers

Musical instruments will be treated the same as regular carry-on luggage so long as they meet the standard carry-on guidelines. Airlines will not be allowed to charge you a fee for bringing a musical instrument on to the plane.

Source: http://lifehacker.com/5881644/how-flying-will-change-in-2012-as-a-result-of-the-faa-reauthorization-bill
**** yeah! Hopefully this will seriously decrease any horror stories involving airlines.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That doesn't really mean you'll be able to walk on with any guitar you fancy. Any instrument you bring on will still have to be within size and weight limitations, which is typically <24kg and within 57x44x24cm. Particular airlines will let you take on items around the size of a guitar on but that is nothing new and will incur extra charges. The change in the law is basically one of classification; you will no longer be charged more because it's an instrument, you'll just be charged more because it's a big item.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by You Ruined It

Way cool.

It'll be real cool if that's international, but, if it's just America, that's still really cool.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
wow, they should do that kinda thing in Europe too! Finally an end to hoping your guitar will have a save trip
Quote by You Ruined It

Wow, none of that is new. Except for the fee thing, but the only airlines that used to do that were the budget ones. And if you were flying on a budget airline, you probably didn't need to (except for, ya know, funerals).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Feb 2, 2012,
awesome... now if i can only carry on a half stack... actually i'd love to carry on just a head or a 1x12 cab but it might be past the 24kg
...so long as they meet the standard carry-on guidelines[/quotes]
Think about the size of a carry-on... most guitars are longer that 57cm (22.44"). Maybe if you separate the body and neck... MAYBE!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by stratplyr
awesome... now if i can only carry on a half stack... actually i'd love to carry on just a head or a 1x12 cab but it might be past the 24kg

An airline will let you carry as many cabs/heads as you want as long as you buy them each a seat xD isn't that funny?
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by kangaxxter
Wow, none of that is new. Except for the fee thing, but the only airlines that used to do that were the budget ones. And if you were flying on a budget airline, you probably didn't need to (except for, ya know, funerals).

That's what I thought. Perhaps there are new laws or regulations making this official, but in practice, I've never seen anything other than what that article claims is new.

You've always been able to ask nicely and carry a guitar on, often in the crew's closet if they've got the room. Plus, as has been pointed out, a guitar case doesn't meet carryon dimension requirements anyway, so that law doesn't really change anything.
Not only that but here in Canada, you'd have to get your guitar past security who may class it as check in only and make you check it in long before you get a chance to see how amicable the crew is!
Moving on.....
To be fair, you could really mess a guy up with a telecaster if you were determined to bring the plane down.
Quote by Roc8995
To be fair, you could really mess a guy up with a telecaster if you were determined to bring the plane down.

or one of em pointy heavy metal guitars
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
What about flying out of America? I'm going to Vegas next month and I'm considering picking something up (considering it's a lot cheaper than here in the UK).
Quote by CrazyPigeon
What about flying out of America? I'm going to Vegas next month and I'm considering picking something up (considering it's a lot cheaper than here in the UK).

Guitars don't meet the standard carry on guidelines, anyways, so this is actually irrelevant for guitarists. You're going to have to check any guitar you buy.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Wow, totally missed the "standard carry-on" section, but at least you wouldn't be forced to check it in, just pay the extra!

I guess this would benefit for those bringing smaller instruments (maybe a violin) but those were probably snuck on the plane anyway
That's what's confusing, to me. You never had to sneak them on before. A violin is small enough that you just bring it on and call it your carry-on luggage. Most violin cases are longer than standard carryon allowances, but they're considerably thinner and narrower. If you caught crap for a violin before, it was because the case was too big, not because it was an instrument.

Lots of people carried this letter in their case - it's been around since 2003 or so, and says exactly what that article is claiming is new. I just don't think it's a new policy, and if it is, it's not changing procedure for most airlines (in the US, at least. Can't speak for other countries).
http://www.fineviolinbows.com/pdf/TSALetter-2005.pdf
Quote by Roc8995

sigged, oh for the love of god xD

on an unrelated note....what about basses? would they conform to this new law? or are they going to be charged extra?
Quote by Roc8995