Page 1 of 2
I posted about this a while ago, but I didn't really get a straight-forward answer (and I didn't think I should bump that old thread because people started to read the op and reply to that, not my new questions).

I've narrowed my search down to the Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c, the JVM 205c, and the JVM 215c. I'm looking for an amp that can get a lot of crunch, but also one that has a really good tone. I'm willing to compromise gain for tone (to a point) because I can just boost the amp. Disregard the pricing of the amps because I can save up, but I don't want to get anything more expensive than the amps I listed. I don't care for effects or for separate EQ and all that stuff: I don't mind modifying my settings every time I switch dynamic range or channel. Also, if I were to go for the JVM, would the 205 be better because of the second speaker?
Oh, and I'm not really looking for death metal distortion. Somewhere between metal and clean. I also don't care too much for cleans at this point. Use pretty much any AC/DC song as a reference: I want gain like that without cranking the amp, without maxing out the preamp volume settings, and without a boost.

So, which amp (2266c, 205c, 215c) sounds best for me?
Last edited by StratR96 at Feb 3, 2012,
what country are you in? that's going to affect how much those amps cost and how much alternatives will cost too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Splawn Quickrod or Competition.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
@Dave
Like I said, disregard prices. I'm talking about the amps. Pretend that they are free and I can have one.

@next 2 commenters
I was kind of hoping to pick one of the listed amps, not any others.. but I'll still look at them.

@Oldmonkeys
I do know that AC/DC cranks their amps. That doesn't mean the tone is unobtainable without cranking. And I wasn't talking about the tone: if you read the op, you can see that I am talking about gain. AC/DC type gain. That doesn't require cranking...
that doesn't make sense

of course price matters

where you are affects what's also available and which may be way better. if you're in the US i wouldn't go near marshall, for example. in the UK, they're a lot better value and worth considering.

so yeah, tell us what country you're in. it's important.

I mean if they're free just take them all, who cares, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What I meant was, of the three amps I listed, I can afford any of them. I live in the US if it's really that important, but I doubt that affects the quality of the amps.
it does when you're talking about quality for the money.

something might be decent quality for $500 but not so good for $5000

likewise if there's nothing else available where you are, it might be the best you can get at the price, but if you're in an area where other stuff is available (and you are), then maybe not so much.

look into splawns and stuff like that. i haven't tried them but they have a good rep for being good quality. Fargen etc.

for example, now i know you're in the US i know to tell you to look into stuff like splawns and the like, but that stuff like laney probably isn't worth bothering about

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by StratR96
What I meant was, of the three amps I listed, I can afford any of them. I live in the US if it's really that important, but I doubt that affects the quality of the amps.

It really IS that important because it lets us know what kind of market you're in, which affects the availability of certain amps which may be more suitable for you.

I'd really consider Splawn. They're make Marshall clones, except US-based and handwired custom-built. The Splawn Quickrod sounds right up your alley, especially since cleans aren't a big concern for you. It'll do all your British-y goodness from clean to mean to balls-out pissed off Marshall sounds.

Are you looking at a head or combo, by the way?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I wasn't really asking about quality for the money... just quality between the three of the amps. The quickrod isn't an option: I need a combo and I'm pretty sure that amp isn't available in combo form. The street rod is, but I'm not 100% sure its what I want. I'm still looking at it. The Marshalls listed are all available. I can just go to a Guitar Center and order it.
Splawn makes a combo.

And it sounds fantastic.
--

--
I'll consider the combo.
So back on topic:
Which of the three(from the op)?
The Quickrod and Street Rod are the same amp, if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
No they aren't: quickrod is a 100w head, street rod is a 40w combo.
EDIT
Im not sure if thats the only difference, if thats what you meant. For all I know, they are exactly the same inside except for minor differences.
Last edited by StratR96 at Feb 3, 2012,
Why cant you guys ever answer a straight question? Which one of the three will do what he wants best? How f****n hard is that to understand?
Quote by dazza027
Why cant you guys ever answer a straight question? Which one of the three will do what he wants best? How f****n hard is that to understand?

go fuck yourself

we can't answer a straight question if we disagree with the way the question is laid out.

there's such a thing as a loaded question.

if you go to your doctor and ask him, "hey, doc, how many paracetamols do i take to cure this cancer?", and teh doc answers, "paracetamol doesn't cure cancer! Tell me what the problem is and let me examine you till i see what's wrong with you and then i can diagnose you and prescribe something which will work", you don't jump on him by saying, "Why can't you answer a straight question!?"

if someone came in here and said, "I want to play metalcore, which should i get, a fender twin or a deluxe reverb?" would we be out of line if we said we didn't think either would be a good idea? granted that's a slightly more extreme example, but it's still pretty valid.

going back to the original question... out of those, i dunno. I really didn't much like the vintage modern when i tried it. you really had to crank the hell out of it, and even then it merely sounded "alright", not great. either of the jvms would probably work, but the way he said he's willing to compromise gain for tone makes me wary of them. and if he's after more vintage ac/dc-alike tones (even though personally i thought the jvm did lower gain marshall fairly well) there are probably better amps for that than the jvm.

So yeah... that's why i can't answer a straight question. I'm certainly not trying to annoy the TS or anyone else. It's his money, he can do what he likes. But he asked for advice, and i'm not going to rubber stamp what i consider to be a bad decision.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 3, 2012,
If price is no obstacle, I would eliminate the 215c because the extra speaker of the 205c would definitely be a plus. But, since AC/DC tone is very 'raw', which tends to come from an amp with less circuitry, I think the 2266 would be the best of the three for you. However, I think a vintage JCM 800 combo would be cheaper, be of better quality, and sound closer to what you're talking about (the thing has 6 knobs). As everyone is saying, though, I think a Splawn would be best.

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Feb 3, 2012,
^^ +1 Dave

Quote by dazza027

If it is so easy then where is your answer?

Fine, I'll answer it. I've never played a Vintage Modern but I'd take it over the JVMs. You won't see me recommending a JVM - especially in the US. There are far to many better amps out there. Unfortunately, outside of the Class 5 and maybe the Vintage Modern, Marshall just doesn't make anything that interests me anymore. The old days are long gone. It is time to move on.

Used JCM 800 2555? That I would consider.

PS: the second speaker won't do THAT much except add more weight. Get a head and a 212 cab I say.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 3, 2012,
Quote by dazza027

Because he can do better for the price he's paying for new Marshalls.

So unless YOU have something helpful to post, shut it.

You want my opinion? All of those option are awful with the VM being the lesser of the two evils. Save up more, get a Splawn, and instead of overpaying for a piece, get a good quality amp that you will be happy with for a while.
--

--
If you really want to stick to strictly Marshall amps, OP, I would look at a JCM 800 combo.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
StratR96 - I remember you now. I looked up your other threads

Well, I still wouldn't recommend a JVM because I don't really care for their distortion and they are not a great value in the US. That said, I do know some guys here that I happen to respect very much and they own JVMs.

I still think you would be much happier with a Splawn. They start right around $1100 for a used one.

Check this cover band out - they do GnR almost to a T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_vkPpPUv8A

BlackOZ. They have a ton of vids.

The lead guitarist uses a Quick Rod and his tone is lush imo.

PS: The Splawns have a hand-wired power section but the rest is PCB.
The only amp I see in that vid is a boogie
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by themelodicdeathshow

That's an Ampeg SVT, not a Mesa Boogie.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by themelodicdeathshow

Whatever dude. They have tons of videos. You don't have to believe.

For those that do believe.....I found this guy via this thread here:

http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=clips&action=display&thread=7897

If you want to see his Splawn then click on the first vid he posted
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
(a) ^^ +1 Dave

(b) If it is so easy then where is your answer?

(c) PS: the second speaker won't do THAT much except add more weight. Get a head and a 212 cab I say.

(a)

(b) +1

(c) +1. 2x12 combos are heavy as all get out. a head + 2x12 cab is generally a better (by that i mean easier to carry, not to mention you then can use whichever cab you like) option than a 2x12 combo if you can make two trips.

Quote by stratman_13
Because he can do better for the price he's paying for new Marshalls.

So unless YOU have something helpful to post, shut it.

You want my opinion? All of those option are awful with the VM being the lesser of the two evils. Save up more, get a Splawn, and instead of overpaying for a piece, get a good quality amp that you will be happy with for a while.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 4, 2012,
Splawn
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How about a Marshal JTM45/100 Full stack? Theyre only 9 grand (money is no consideration) and its a full stack so it'll do bedroom volumes marvelously and even better than that they only made 250 of them.... Theres one on special here in Australia for 6 large and its signed by Slash. What could be better??? (so up urs stratman )
Last edited by dazza027 at Feb 4, 2012,
.................................................................................................................................
I think I made it clear that money is no concern FOR THE LISTED AMPS. If money was no concern overall, I would probably just buy every amp that interested me until I found a good one....
I might be leaning more towards the Street Rod now. I've heard it is extremely articulate and unforgiving: small mistakes are very noticeable. This makes me a little nervous. I don't want to sound like crap when I fool around.
If I may humbly offer my opinion, let me say that, yes, Splawns are very clear and unforgiving, but the more you play and practice through one, the better you will sound. It forces you to improve your playing. At least that has been my experience. Seriously, you won't be disappointed at all if you go with the Splawn.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
If I may humbly offer my opinion, let me say that, yes, Splawns are very clear and unforgiving, but the more you play and practice through one, the better you will sound. It forces you to improve your playing. At least that has been my experience. Seriously, you won't be disappointed at all if you go with the Splawn.

+1

I'd love to have a super-articulate amp. It will improve your playing overall.

But if you MUST choose one of the three listed Marshalls, I'd go for the Vintage Modern. Slash didn't sound too bad with his, and Paul Gilbert gets a great sound with his. Then again, Paul Gilbert uses like 4 different distortion pedals as well as the amp's onboard distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by dazza027
How about a Marshal JTM45/100 Full stack? Theyre only 9 grand (money is no consideration) and its a full stack so it'll do bedroom volumes marvelously and even better than that they only made 250 of them.... Theres one on special here in Australia for 6 large and its signed by Slash. What could be better??? (so up urs stratman )

Oh yeah you sure showed me... . Considering that you still haven't posted something helpful, and gave a ridiculous suggestion to someone actually asking for advice, you're still an idiot. Grow up.

TS: Exactly what Raijouta said. Playing through a very articulate amp can only better your playing, because you'll be able to hear where you're struggling.
--

--
K, I'll keep looking into the Street Rod. Looks like its #1 on my list so far.
But just one more question: can you describe what "articulate and unforgiving" sounds like? I can't exactly imagine what it would sound like. Would it just emphasize early releases and stuff like that?
Quote by StratR96
K, I'll keep looking into the Street Rod. Looks like its #1 on my list so far.
But just one more question: can you describe what "articulate and unforgiving" sounds like? I can't exactly imagine what it would sound like. Would it just emphasize early releases and stuff like that?

+asically it's just a really really "clear" amp; you can for all practical purposes hear every note of every chord or what have you. Mistakes will stand out, sloppy playing will stand out, etc. THERE'S NOWHERE TO HIDE! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But yeah. Basically just a very clear amp that will make mistakes and sloppy playing stand out.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 4, 2012,
Articulation is a good thing. Notes stay defined, you don't have them mush together and turn to mud. It makes it very easy for a guitarist's own personal style to be expressed through the amp because everything is very clearly amplified.

When people say that it's unforgiving, it just means that the amp won't cover up your mistakes.
An articulate amp isn't going to add mistakes and whatnot to your playing that wasn't already there to begin with. Think of playing a guitar unplugged or even an acoustic, where nothing is 'blocked out' and you're hearing every single thing you do. Same idea, except you're amplifying that natural clarity vs hiding your sloppy playing in subpar distortion.

To be honest, a 40/50/100W tube head isn't going to sound great at low volumes. You really have to crank them in order to achieve that sound they're known for, at low volumes they don't have the same tone and don't have as much gain on tap to play around with. Just something to consider

My vote would go towards Splawn as well for that kind of cash and what you're wanting. Marshall today just isn't the same as it was, and the U.S. markup makes them not worth their asking price (new) for the quality of tone you're getting.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 4, 2012,
Page 1 of 2