I've been playing for 2 years, technique lessons for the second year. I'm alright at playing songs, but I want to get into writing my own. I'm guessing I should be taking theory lessons (I've tried teaching myself but it's tough). Another thing I want to improve is my rhythm. What kind of drills should I do for this?

Also, idk if this post is for here or guitar techniques. if it's for techniques could a mod move it??
well... songwriting is a world of its own i guess. What i try to do is everytime i learn a song i try to use the ideas i've learned to write my own song. But i guess this is my personal approach and this works for me, but i dont know if this gets your creative juices flowing. songwriting is something very personal, if it would be something easy everyone would do it. Maybe study chord-progressions, or just lay down a beat and jam. Most songs are born out of jamming.

Best of luck!
Quote by ridicilus
Most songs are born out of jamming.

This.

Learn scales/chords in specific keys. Or just play and see if it sounds good. I used to base everything off of a scale and play mainly in c or g but then I tried playing random notes and realized it's alot more fun (although most of my riffs don't as good).

And if you can play with someone else, it's a huge help. Once, a friend and I just took our acoustics and he started singing whatever came to mind and we created the most beautiful song I've ever heard.
We forgot it in like 2 mins after but it was fun
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I'm not going to give you a long answer, but EVERYTHING. I mean it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by JKHC
This.

Learn scales/chords in specific keys. Or just play and see if it sounds good. I used to base everything off of a scale and play mainly in c or g but then I tried playing random notes and realized it's alot more fun (although most of my riffs don't as good).

And if you can play with someone else, it's a huge help. Once, a friend and I just took our acoustics and he started singing whatever came to mind and we created the most beautiful song I've ever heard.
We forgot it in like 2 mins after but it was fun

love the ending part... yeah thats the way it goes and yeah thats why you should record every single piece you play. Everytime i jam i make sure to record it just in case i come it with something... anything.
I took guitar in school and it was mostly Theory, Classical stuff, with scale lessons. I agree with JKHC. It doesn't happen here that often but what would you do if (not specifically) people were doing a blues chord jam/Metal/Acoustic etc.. and they wanted you to solo without any planning. Just jump up and rock. If you got your petatonics/petatonic variations/major scales on mind you can think of many ways to solo. Ive also had to use scales in solo writing with a friend. We wrote a nice metal solo.........Getting back on topic, song writing can be a very surprising thing. You wake up and BAM new song idea. Just keep an open mind. Im sure its all good.
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling." - Anonymous
triads, triads, triads, its whats will help you with learning the fretboard and your rhythm playing. too many guitarists ignore this aspect of their playing
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
One thing I have really noticed about writing music is that is is FAR MORE important to understand how scales/chords work rather than just learning a few scales/chords.

This way, instead of just playing forms you have memorized you can just sit there and produce any scale you wish in any mode you might want to play in. Its all about having a deeper understanding of how different tones relate to eachother in the long run. If you know how to identify scale degrees at a glance (ie. major third, perfect fifth) you're already ahead of many guitarists.

Also, look up polyrhythms; this might inspire you some rhythm ideas.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by Green_Ghoul
I've been playing for 2 years, technique lessons for the second year. I'm alright at playing songs, but I want to get into writing my own. I'm guessing I should be taking theory lessons (I've tried teaching myself but it's tough). Another thing I want to improve is my rhythm. What kind of drills should I do for this?

Also, idk if this post is for here or guitar techniques. if it's for techniques could a mod move it??

As in timing or as in playing the rhythm parts?

If timing, the metronome is GOD! Use it....then use it some more.

And then when you finally get sick of it, turn it off, go outside, relax, take a few minutes to clear your head.

Then come back in, turn it on and continue until you are rock solid. If you can't play in time, you can't play.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin