Hey guys, its me again thought i should ask u guys for advice since u guys are the only ones that useally help me!

So i got a gig set up tommarow at 9. it originally was suppost to be me , playing acoustic.. u know lol. but got my buddy to join up and come. hes bringing his electric and vox amp and im bringing my Electric and amp. How should we work this through, as wise as making the most of 2 guitar players? I was thinking switching back and forth between rhythmic and lead..

any advice fellas?
SO wait... you had a gig, set list planed.

Then randomly decide to completely change the planned gig with about 24 hours left to prepare and you've not even got an idea.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i asked for advice, me and my buddy can make up a song, we usually just pick a key to play in... and we were gonna run through it right before going ttommarow

And as for playing myself, i didnt have a set list planned... whats so hard about picking 5 or 6 chords in a key and picking a mode to solo over it lol
Last edited by IbanezMan989 at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by Chemicalfire

Then randomly decide to completely change the planned gig with about 24 hours left to prepare and you've not even got an idea.

^^^ Bingo. Not sure what you were thinking TS. I'd just say play solo for this gig, and practice up together for the next.

There is a level of musicianship where you can sit on in eachother's sets, but as you're asking this question, you're not quite there yet.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by ChemicalFire

This.
Good luck TS. Good luck.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
Good luck TS. Good luck.

This.

Hopefully you won't blow future opportunities with this venue because of your hugely unprofessional behavior here.
If you're just going to play one song it's not really a gig. If you're just going to play the same chords and solo for 15-30minutes, that's a pretty boring gig. Who are you playing to? Most audiences (even coffee shops on open mic night) don't really want to hear 2 dudes jamming, they want to hear songs.
Pretty much everyone above has said it.

Whenever I get a gig, I practice my songs and master them long before the show so I can work on my physical movements and expressions.

This seems like a bad idea but to each his own. You might learn something from this.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
morrock point out a good point, so we are gonna throw about 4 songs together tommarow, go through them a couple times to get them down. and leave a 5th song for anything spontaneous thanks guys ill tell you how it went tommarow night
Last edited by IbanezMan989 at Feb 3, 2012,
Quote by IbanezMan989
morrock point out a good point, so we are gonna throw about 4 songs together tommarow, go through them a couple times to get them down. and leave a 5th song for anything spontaneous thanks guys ill tell you how it went tommarow night

how is 4 songs a gig? are you getting paid? if not, it isnt a gig. are either of you singing? what kind of music are you playing? what kind of place is this? please dont play with overdrive or distortion at this. nothing sounds more stupid than two guys in a pub without a band trying to rock out. is there a reason why he cant bring an acoustic? and if he cant, why do you have to switch? at least have the one. acoustic guitars tend to have more rhythmic quality than an electric in a solo or duo situation.

anyway, i think think everything about this from what you said sounds like a bad idea but it seems you already made up your mind so hopefully it goes ok.
You're missing half the point.

If you promised the guy a solo act, he's expecting a solo act. If you show up as a duo, that could be a problem.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
how is 4 songs a gig? are you getting paid? if not, it isnt a gig.

Interesting rules dude. Perhaps apply them to the following situations?

- I have been payed $200 to perform one song for a wedding dance.
- My friend was payed $700 to play the horn for 3 minutes, by himself.
- I have been hired by artists to back them. They have paid me for the gig, we perform together.
- I have performed 2 hour sets for free at fundraising events.
- I have performed 1 hour events for tips. Sometimes we make $0. Other times we make $200.

Or maybe perhaps there shouldn't be any "rules" in relation to what a gig is, with the exception of it is performance of music in a public venue.
Soundcloud
Anyone else get creeped out at the thread title?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by AlanHB
Interesting rules dude. Perhaps apply them to the following situations?

- I have been payed $200 to perform one song for a wedding dance.
- My friend was payed $700 to play the horn for 3 minutes, by himself.
- I have been hired by artists to back them. They have paid me for the gig, we perform together.
- I have performed 2 hour sets for free at fundraising events.
- I have performed 1 hour events for tips. Sometimes we make $0. Other times we make $200.

Or maybe perhaps there shouldn't be any "rules" in relation to what a gig is, with the exception of it is performance of music in a public venue.

He was doing some fancy pancy showing off horn playing right? or a Pop show?..

Why did he stop! If he kept playing he would be making $14,000 an hour
Silly man he was... Silly indeed...
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
He was doing some fancy pancy showing off horn playing right? or a Pop show?..

Opening a football game
Soundcloud
A gig is a gig is a gig is a gig. I don't necessarily mean to say a 30 minute jam isn't a gig, it's just not a gig people want to see (unless you're a famous jam band). Glad you're picking some songs to play, throwing in some improv is cool, as long as that isn't the entire set, as a jam/improv song can sound very repetitive to someone without much musical experience.
Please have someone tape this gig.

I'm guessing this is just someone's party or something and not a public bar/venue, right? I'd really like to see how this goes. My only advice is to just pick a key to play in and improvise if you're able to pull it off... Good luck
I hate my sig
Quote by AlanHB
Opening a football game

That's a good gig I guess he can toot his own horn on that one

Bad pun
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
So there are no rules to playing music, but there are rules when playing music while other people listen? Can we please just forget all this pretentious bull shit about professionalism and proper stage etiquette so that popular music might once again enter a realm of honesty and love? Go play your music and love doing it, **** everything else, there's no good reason to feel shame in front of fellow dumb asses.
Quote by wafflesyrup
So there are no rules to playing music, but there are rules when playing music while other people listen? Can we please just forget all this pretentious bull shit about professionalism and proper stage etiquette so that popular music might once again enter a realm of honesty and love? Go play your music and love doing it, **** everything else, there's no good reason to feel shame in front of fellow dumb asses.

There are no rules to playing music, assuming you're playing by yourselves and only you are affected by it. But in most cases playing music gets entangled with dealing with other people, so there are norms and customs that should be followed or else you'll be stuck freely playing music, by yourself.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I fear we've over-engineered our lives with norms and customs, but I'm only one dude and don't have much of a grasp on people at large, so perhaps it's a necessity. That's a shame.

Seems music these days does more division than unification.
Forget that it's music. You're asked to do a job. It's up to you as to whether you'll do a good one.
Soundcloud
I understand. Every now and then I just have to let the utter disgust I feel for the 'entertainment industry' come out of me.
hey guys thought id update how the night went.

Well tried to get my buddy to come but he chickened out at the last minute...

other then that i got there right at 9. just came in set up my amp and plugged right in. ended up playing till 1 in the morning, they even opened the door to let people know some good music is happening. Just made up songs in different keys , lasting around 8 minutes each. start em off slow, and get faster, kinda like stairway.

everything went good tho, posted photos of me on facebook, and was in our local news paper the next day....

mind you i drank a fifth of canada house before hand, and did not practice any set songs at all.. and been playing only a year... ( practicing everyday tho )

My advice for some of u guys is just relax and have a good time! the place even made me a couple rueben sandwiches my favorite for free!