Hey, guys.
I want to buy a half-stack soon and I was wondering what head, cabinet, and pedal(s) produce the best metalcore sound.
It would be awesome if anyone could give me any suggestions.
Thanks.

Edit:
Budget: Around $800
New or Used: New
Home use or gigs:
Gigs
Favorite bands/tones you want to emulate: The Devil Wears Prada, Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack!, Killswitch Engage, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and August Burns Red
Last edited by PunkRocker277 at Feb 2, 2012,
What's your budget/where are you/etc
What kind of metal core sound do you want. IE any particular bands you love the tone of, etc
Details man!

Generic answer could well be something like a Peavey 6505 and a tubescreamer (TS9/808 Maxon OD808, etc)
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
You're going to get asked this:
Budget?
Location?
New or Used?
Home use or gigs?
Favorite bands/tones you want to emulate?

Also, any reason you really want a half stack? Unless you're playing pretty big shows you'd probably be fine with a 2x12 combo. Halfstacks are a pretty huge pain in the ass honestly. But if you want the generic suggestions,

Peavey 6505/5150
Mesa Dual Rectifier

Some form of Tubescreamer type pedal, a noise gate, a personally like using delays and maybe a chorus for cleans, depending on the amp.
Edit: Damn, Ninja'd
Last edited by shecter guy at Feb 2, 2012,
Peavey vyper 15w and boss metal zone.

5150, mesa triple rec, emg 81/85s, and a good od and noise gate. The usual.
I see a lot of Orange Thunder/Rockerverbs in metalcore rigs. And a lot of Les Paul-esque guitars.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy

5150, mesa triple rec, emg 81/85s, and a good od and noise gate. The usual.

This. And a compressor if you'd like.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by shecter guy
Edit: Damn, Ninja'd

Sorry bro!

Get a maxon OD808 - fkn awesome pedal. There's an old interview with Adam D (Killswitch) talking about it being the one really consistent piece of gear in their rigs. That + a decent tube amp should have you set. Can't really recommend an amp cause I dunno US pricing on things but yeah a Peavey 6505/5150/etc should be pretty sweet.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
the best setup involves having a toleration for repetitive riffs paired with some insane guy doing the vocals
It's all about feel

Budget: Around $800
New or Used: Used
Home use or gigs: Gigs
Favorite bands/tones you want to emulate: The Devil Wears Prada, Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack!, Killswitch Engage, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and August Burns Red

Fixed

This really belongs in GGnA but maybe you hang out here so I'll play along.

on your craigslist I see:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=300&maxAsk=900

Line 6 Flextone head
Peavey XXX
B52 ATX head
Rivera Knucklehead - no money for cab though
Line 6 Duoverb
Marshall JCM800 combo
Randall RM50
Marshall DSL100
Crate Blue Voodoo
Blackstar HT-100
Peavey Valveking halfstack
Mesa F50 combo
Laney GH100
Mesa .22 Caliber combo
Line 6 Vetta combo
Crate Shockwave
Peavey 5150 combo

you get the idea
Peavey XXX, 5150/6505 with a 2x12 cab. A 4x12 might look cool but you're going to get real tired of lugging it around real fast and the combo amps like the 5150 2x12 aren't much more enjoyable to drag around either. Throw a noise gate and a tubescreamer or other OD of your choice and that should put you in the general vicinity of the sounds you're after.
There are other high gain amps out there but I think those three are about the best you'll be able to get and still have enough left for a cab.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I would suggest a Rocktron Vendetta 160VHR or Vendetta 100, and get one of these:
Mesa Boogie dual rec with a 4x12 and a PRS or Gibson. That's what I've seen alot of guys use live. OR my copy of that setup that I can come decently close is I have a PRS Se (semi hollow granted but it still sounds really good) with a flextone II plus. A Flextone II or III can do an awesome replication of a mesa boogie, and if you want to get even closer and still stay in budget, grab a 4x12 of any kind (peavey or mesa boogie or marshall), now with the flextone II HEAD thats as close as you get but if you have a flextone II or III plus then you have a 1x12 built in and the cab out so you can switch the built in speaker to something that is like in a mesa boogie that will make it sound alot closer and then plug into the cab. That should get you decently close:
Flextone (used, also make sure it has the cab out feature or you'll be dissapointed): $100-300 (thats for the II...the III is more expensive so I'd go with the II)
Speaker to replace in the flextone (new of course): $150-200
Cab (used):$150-300

so you should be able to swing it if you tried...whats your guitar you'd be using?
GUITARS:
PRS Semi-Hollow Custom SE

Amps:
Peavey Ranger 2x12 Twin Killer

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Meh. Looks like an SE to me.
Well, thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about PRS guitars.