Im not entirely too sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but since its called "Musician Talk" I felt that it would be the right place to write this.

Basically throughout my playing career (been 5 years now) I've had a lot of bumps in the road. Something that I really do struggle with is time/energy. Do you ever get to a point where you just dont want/cant bring yourself to practice? I mean the desire is still there, but the energy and motivation for the day is just gone. Concerning myself specifically, I do work 4 days a week at a job that requires me to wake up early in the morning to be at work at 7 and I work all day until usually around 4 in the afternoon and it truly is a demanding job physically and mentally. After that I will usually TRY to fit in practice time (I usually try to shoot for 3 hours if I can) but my god am I so exhausted at this time (even if not physically, mentally I am). Some times I just get myself jacked up on caffeine to allow myself the time to practice. Sometimes I just feel so mentally drained that the practice might not be so efficient because I may not be fully focused. This will usually be the day for me (no time to do anything else) and so I do usually feel pretty secluded from my social life. On the other hand I also go to school part time and that also requires some of my time/energy and with all the crap that goes along with that AND work now my time/energy has be split three ways. AND on top of that Im maintaining a relationship/social life with friends, and I try to go to the gym twice a week. So in other words; I RARELY have time to just "chill" or hang out if you know what I mean (unless I cheat).
Now please understand im not trying to bitch about my life or situation, thats not why Im here and im sure many if not most of you share in this or even worse. My problem is some days I really lack the time/energy and motivation/drive to practice. After all the weight of the day has destroyed me energy wise, practicing sometimes seems like a chore. Now I truly dream of being a top tier guitarist. I want to play fast technical music (my favorite genre is technical death metal) so in other words I really am shooting for a high level of musicianship so I know this cannot allow for more "casual" practice but really requires "hardcore" practice. My problem is I cant seem to get myself to do this EVERYDAY as much as I know I would like to/meed to. I know I cant rely on anyone else but myself for motivation to fight through adversity, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice that could help me. I dont want to get burned out (ive been there before, not fun. I stopped playing for months) but every time I miss a day i get DEPRESSED and feel like a failure that will never get to where I need to be, but some days it truly is hard for me to get serious. Yeah, im my own worst critic and I beat myself up pretty bad but Im only getting older and I dont want my dream to pass me by. So with all this crap going on in my life, have any advice?
Last edited by Templar0220 at Feb 2, 2012,
Probably not the right place to post this. Having that said, if it's really a priority for you than you will find the time. You're probably just in a funk, I've been there, but don't be so hard on yourself. I work 10 hours a day and the same way I get really upset with myself with not having have put the time in. But guitar needs to be fun above all else, if you're not into it at any particular moment than you're just not, and if it's THAT important than it will come back. Like I said before... If everything else is crap, AND you're not into you're not into you're guitar than it's funk and you'll come out of it in good time, if not you don't REALLY want it, and therefor won't MAKE the time like you're heroes have; I'm talking 10 hour practice routines and the will to be truly starving broke because you're so obsessed with guitar than you have to be realistic and evaluate your goals. SUPER important? You should be at school FOR music AND enjoy the homework, or would work at a guitar shop for minimal money because you just wanna play all day.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by SFosterS
Probably not the right place to post this. Having that said, if it's really a priority for you than you will find the time. You're probably just in a funk, I've been there, but don't be so hard on yourself. I work 10 hours a day and the same way I get really upset with myself with not having have put the time in. But guitar needs to be fun above all else, if you're not into it at any particular moment than you're just not, and if it's THAT important than it will come back. Like I said before... If everything else is crap, AND you're not into you're not into you're guitar than it's funk and you'll come out of it in good time, if not you don't REALLY want it, and therefor won't MAKE the time like you're heroes have; I'm talking 10 hour practice routines and the will to be truly starving broke because you're so obsessed with guitar than you have to be realistic and evaluate your goals. SUPER important? You should be at school FOR music AND enjoy the homework, or would work at a guitar shop for minimal money because you just wanna play all day.

Its actually funny you said that, Ive been wanting to go to school seriously i just have to finish up my general education and i have to find the right school, and ive been trying to find a music shop job for the longest time but there really is not opportunity for it around here.
Keep on it than man, all the power to you, get through the funk and ****IN GIVER!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Join a band dude, and then you'll have a reason to practice. I couldn't bring myself to practice for 3 hours at a time for no particular reason either. If your goal is to be a top-tier guitarist, you have to join a band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Unfortunately, you need to prioritize. Theres only so much one person can do and then youre done. When you set up such high expectations, that no human being can possibly fulfill you'll hit a wall and end up setting yourself up for failure. You may not like this, but sometimes you may have to set things aside intensity wise, for a season while you take care of the other priorities (school etc) and there's nothing wrong with that. Welcome to life amigo. You cant always have it all; sometimes you have to adapt and survive and wait a while, then take your shot when it clears up a little.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Unfortunately, you need to prioritize. Theres only so much one person can do and then youre done. When you set up such high expectations, that no human being can possibly fulfill you'll hit a wall and end up setting yourself up for failure. You may not like this, but sometimes you may have to set things aside intensity wise, for a season while you take care of the other priorities (school etc) and there's nothing wrong with that. Welcome to life amigo. You cant always have it all; sometimes you have to adapt and survive and wait a while, then take your shot when it clears up a little.

Best,

Sean

Thats fair and I appreciate the honesty it allowed me to gain a proper perspective, thank you.