Let me state that this will not be the only resource I use to practice guitar.

It's gotten some good reviews, and from what I have google searched most people say its great for beginners, but really doesn't offer much for more experienced players, but then again its really not supposed to.

Anyway i'm somewhat familiar with guitar, I can make basic chord shapes, but i'm still very new, so I figure the mini-games alone would make Rocksmith worth it.

Again, this will NOT be my only resource of practice, I also plan on buying some books to help me out.

I don't want to use a teacher, I have plenty of friends who play guitar so they could help me if im really not doing something right. I prefer my own pace and honestly a teacher would just make me play Mary Had A Little Lamb for 2 months.
There are dozens of threads about this. Use the searchbar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There are dozens of threads about this. Use the searchbar.

I have. Quit being an ass.
Quote by GKDAIR
Let me state that this will not be the only resource I use to practice guitar.

It's gotten some good reviews, and from what I have google searched most people say its great for beginners, but really doesn't offer much for more experienced players, but then again its really not supposed to.

Anyway i'm somewhat familiar with guitar, I can make basic chord shapes, but i'm still very new, so I figure the mini-games alone would make Rocksmith worth it.

Again, this will NOT be my only resource of practice, I also plan on buying some books to help me out.

I don't want to use a teacher, I have plenty of friends who play guitar so they could help me if im really not doing something right. I prefer my own pace and honestly a teacher would just make me play Mary Had A Little Lamb for 2 months.

I don't know where you got this idea - if you get a good teacher he/she won't do that.

EDIT: With that being said, the SRV version is cool, and not really anything related to the original. But I digress...

And no, I wouldn't use Rocksmith.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 3, 2012,
It's not good for teaching/learning, but I can say that the mini games ARE helpful.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by oneblackened
I don't know where you got this idea - if you get a good teacher he/she won't do that.

EDIT: With that being said, the SRV version is cool, and not really anything related to the original. But I digress...

And no, I wouldn't use Rocksmith.

Not every teacher would do that, But I live in small town texas. So every teacher around HERE would do that.

Plus i'm just better going at my own pace.
Here's my opinion for what it's worth. I was in the same position not that long ago.

Take the advice on the theory stuff. Won't be immediately obvious how you're benefiting from it. Until you get so deep and have this epiphany. If you're anything like me, that's like the point of no return.

There's nothing wrong with the game and the exercises will definitely help with learning the scales it offers and what not. Just don't try to count the time spent playing the game as time practicing.

With that being said, I didn't start seeing some real progress until I got a good teacher.
Rocksmith isn't really any good as a teaching tool. You need to be fairly competent to get along with it, but it also doesn't help with any advanced techniques.

If you really want to learn the songs it includes then it's a more fun way of learning them than looking up a tab, but that's about the extent of it. After all, that's all it is - it's automatic tab. Looking up a tab on here and turning on auto-scroll achieves the same thing.

It's really not a smart way to learn anyway. Rocksmith or tabs. The best way to learn is to sit down with a CD player and listen carefully. Try and replicate what you hear, keep rewinding and practising a segment over and over until you get it. Learning by ear and transcribing for yourself is by far, by far, the most effective way to learn to play guitar, not least of all because it allows you to practise what you want to practise at your pace.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i don't know much about this rocksmith game, but IMO find a teacher for your first few weeks at least. that is the time you develop the most bad habits, that are harder to break later on. and you will get enough information to get you started on the guitar. i always like my students to have no experiance over the ones who have played for a few weeks and are bashing the strings out of tune to "teen spirit"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have it, its fun. You can random play in the amp room with all types of amps/pedals, if you have a good sound system... its awesome(game is worth it alone just for this). Lag has been fixed for the most part. It's a great teaching tool, if its not your only teaching tool. The mini-games are great and help a great deal. I'd rather learn every note at once instead of piling on notes and more notes at a time but eh, I still learn the songs.

Check these video reviews out, by a real musician, watch each part. From what I've experienced, his reviews are spot on. He does a great unbiased review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5B5FtVbJnM&feature=related

Watch all 3 parts.

Rocksmith is a great way for a beginner to have fun and enjoy themselves but it wont do everything for you.

Doesn't teach you strumming patterns, picking styles, finger positioning, along with technique for the most part. It does teach you chords, palm muting, bends, vibrato, the finger board, HO's and PO's, etc. all while playing and learning the correct notes of songs. It allows you to slow the speed down or speed it up, and break each song down into sections to learn.

The game is only $60 bucks. That's equal to around 2 30min lessons from a teacher that MAY or MAY NOT be any good.

I've been playing for 1 year, still a novice for the most part, just my opinion.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Last edited by i3oosted at Feb 3, 2012,
I wouldn't use it

I wouldn't use a teacher either

Everything guitar related can be learned using the Internet
Rocksmith is fun as hell! Are you kidding me? It's an Xbox360 game that you can plug your guitar into and play music!

Some of the games are awesome fun. You pretty much learn to play without looking at the fretboard (as you're watching the screen) and it takes things as slow or fast you are able to. It's waaaaaaay worth the money, if for no other reason than you will sit in front of that TV for hours with your guitar in your hands, becoming more and more familiar with it.

As you said, this won't be your only tool -- so keep getting lessons and having fun with the game at the same time!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
If i was a pro guitarist that wanted to goof around and have some fun i'd play rocksmith

If i was beginner that wanted to learn 8 ways to play a song the wrong way before the game let me play it the right way, i'd play rocksmith.

If i didn't want to ever be good enough to play for people without getting rotten fruit thrown at me, i'd use rocksmith as a substitute for lessons.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
It's fun as a game but i don't think it's a good learning tool...

It does help your first days to get you familiar with the guitar, fretting around different notes and things like that, but you WONT really learn how to play the guitar with it, trust me, my friend got it and i played it for a good while, it was fun, but not learning much there...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
It depends what your goals are. If your goal is to become good on the guitar, then you might want to reconsider your strategy.

Achieving a high level of skill on the guitar takes dedication and persistance, lots of time, a good attitude towards learning, and practice, practice, practice. Often practice can be tedious and boring,and for the sake of learning, you will find yourself frequently playing songs and styles of music you may not particularly care for. Having fun playing rocksmith is fine, but it's a rather poor teaching aid, and as it pertains to learning, your time would be much better spent guitar.

As to the quickest path, given an equal amount of effort and practice time, a student with a good, reputable teacher, will play circles around a player who is self taught (99 % of the time) in a two year period, I have seen this time and again.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
I don't know if I'd say you're learning 8 different ways to learn a song wrong before learning it correctly. It's a freakin' game!

Besides, as a beginner you learn Over The Rainbow on a single string. Then you learn a few chords around the single string line. Eventually you're able to play the song in a very intricate way. The first way isn't "wrong"...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by GKDAIR

When I started learning 10 months ago, I intended to go to one lesson, just to put me on the right track and make sure I didn't get into any bad habits.

Here I am 10 months later, still going once a fortnight. As a rule, I hate being taught anything

We started on Wish You Were Hear and Everybody Hurts, I didn't want to keep going, but the guy has just made it so interesting and helpful, that I haven't wanted to stop

If you get any sort of decent teacher, he'll ask you the sort of stuff you want to play and tailor lessons around that.
Quote by Goooner1
If you get any sort of decent teacher, he'll ask you the sort of stuff you want to play and tailor lessons around that.

This.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
people have been playing guitar for hundreds of years. they did just fine without rocksmith
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED