Page 1 of 2
no really, are they really that good? are they really better than orange or marshall or peavey? do they really sound that great? i have found them to be rather complicated to use and have too many unnecessary features and I think they're overrated and overpriced.

can somebody please give me an INTELLIGENT WELL THOUGHT OUT response on why they're superior to other amp manufacturers and why there's so much hype about them including the rectifier series amps.

ex. (don't tell me they're heavy as shit and good for metal because i don't care. that's a stupid opinion that teaches me nothing about them.)
Their perceived quality is a matter of taste and an objective opinion.
It depends on the tone you may be after, the features that you really require as to whether they are necessary or not and the build quality and components of the amp itself - down to the wiring used.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
are they that good? they are good for what they are. they are as good as other amps in their price range.

the end.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
They offer you the ability to create a much more sculpted tone from the amp itself without having to look to pedals right away. The downside of that is that it can sometimes be hard to dial in a good tone.

If you don't like them, you don't and there's nothing wrong with that. I personally love them but I'm a tweaker. I also wouldn't say they're superior to Orange but I would say even their baseline models are better than most Marhsall and Peavey amps.

I've played some 10-20k USD guitars that I wouldn't take for free, it's not about the cost.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i do like how they let you change tweak your tone and can be awesome once you do find the tone your lookign for

but yeah i think they are better then marshalls or pevey..not sure aobut orange...since ive never played one
if you like how they sound that is about it.

they are built extremely solidly in comparison to a lot of other amps out there, their QC seems to be pretty good (at least for the last 10 years unfamiliar with quite a few models before just don't know them all), but there are a lot of older Mesas still floating around, that work and sound great.

the only thing i will down them for is the non V30 speakers in some of their cabs (very rugged cabs), and that the two channel dual rec sounds better than the three channel,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The original Roadking seemed a little too techy for my liking - experiences with the latter models seems to be better and far more logical, although I haven't used one to it's full extent.
Mesa amps are good but it really depends on the price you're paying..

In the uk if you're paying the price for a new recto then it isnt that good..
Objectively, they're extremely well built. Over specd transformers that can run with mismatched impedance and power tubes missing. Tons of features and tons of tweakability if thats what you're into. So objectively they're well made and offer lots of features.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I was quoted nearly $8k (AU) when I enquired about the Roadking nearly six years ago.
Mesas are extremely well built, if that's what you mean. As far as tone, it depends what sound you're looking for. Mesas sound like Mesas, Marshalls sound like Marshalls, Peaveys sound like Peaveys, and Oranges sound like Marshalls. If you want a huge British rock tone, a Marshall JCM will handle that better than a Mesa Rectifier. That doesn't mean the Rectifier isn't a good amp, it just has a different voice for a different job. A Mercedes Benz may not handle off-road driving as well as a Humvee. That doesn't make it a bad car, its just outside it's intended design.
the G55 AMG goes anywhere a hummer goes.

if your in the Europe you best be buying a diezel or a brunetti. Don't even think about mesa.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Slap-happy
The original Roadking seemed a little too techy for my liking - experiences with the latter models seems to be better and far more logical, although I haven't used one to it's full extent.

Some Mesa's (Mark and Rectifier series) are actually something I don't dig. Too complicated for my taste. Now, try the Royal Atlantic , huge tone, versatility (from blues, latin, classic rock to metal) and so easy to get a great tone, it can do vintage and modern. My dream amp come true, I proudly own one. Still waiting to get a nice cab to post a proper NAD with clips though.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 3, 2012,
Nice troll thread you got here...
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Like any brand, Mesa have a small number of amps in their reportiore that approach legend status and a large number of models that range from meh to ok.

But that's really no different to Marshall, Peavey, Vox, Hiwatt, etc?

So I don't know what you are basing your view on.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Feb 3, 2012,
What's a Mesa?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The brootalz = epicz

Mesa = the BROOTALZ

therefore

Mesa = the EPICZ.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Their main amps, rectifier and mark series, are overused in my opinion.

..........wut?

Quote by jpatan
Nice troll thread you got here...
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
What's a mesa?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by xxrobbie
no really, are they really that good? are they really better than orange or marshall or peavey? do they really sound that great? i have found them to be rather complicated to use and have too many unnecessary features and I think they're overrated and overpriced.

can somebody please give me an INTELLIGENT WELL THOUGHT OUT response on why they're superior to other amp manufacturers and why there's so much hype about them including the rectifier series amps.

ex. (don't tell me they're heavy as shit and good for metal because i don't care. that's a stupid opinion that teaches me nothing about them.)

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I don't like mesas really, the rectifiers I have played were unimpressive. The roadster I played was much better, but still not what I like. I have only played a mark 3 (in the mark series), and it was only about half an hour, so I didn't have time to dial it in properly. That being said, some people love them. My old guitar teacher swore by them, I mean, he had the full triple rec full stack going with his mark 4 half stack in the back. They are as good as you want them to be, they just have a good reputation for making reliable, good sounding amps, no magic or anything. It is clear you, like myself, are not impressed with them. I'll stick with my crappy made in china cheapy amp, thank you.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by AcousticMirror
are they that good? they are good for what they are. they are as good as other amps in their price range.

the end.

pretty much (at least based on US prices... at UK/European prices they're massively overpriced, in my opinion)

if you like them they're great.

that's not to say they're better than a cheaper amp if that cheaper amp is more aimed at what you want to play.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do you want us to tell you that Mesa amps are shitty and overpriced, that anybody who likes them is wrong and doesn't know anything about tone? Are you seeking validation here?

Or are you just mad that they cost more than you can afford?

Several Mesa amps ARE good for metal. That is not a stupid opinion and should not be discounted just because you don't like metal and are a musical chauvinist. Many artists use them for metal. But they're good at other things too. Santana, Keith Richards, and Andy Timmons are just a few of the non-metal artists who play or have played Mesa amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Kevin Saale
Objectively, they're extremely well built. Over specd transformers that can run with mismatched impedance and power tubes missing. Tons of features and tons of tweakability if thats what you're into. So objectively they're well made and offer lots of features.

/thread
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What's a Mesa?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Mesa/Boogie is mostly producing an expensive line of products. Mesa/Boogie> Cheaper Amps. Therefore, Every Expensive Amp> A Cheap Amp. But well, they are really good in their line, while I prefer ENGL, or someone else can prefer VOX or Randall. They are really about your guts, they all have high quality products.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It is a flat topped mountain similar to a plateau that has been weathered and eroded you nab.

argh, don't tell him

randall's probably now off to patent that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
argh, don't tell him

randall's probably now off to patent that

I'd imagine he's collecting massive royalties off the city of Mesa
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2